Re: Beer For Geeks

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
      Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
      > At 09:43 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
      >
      >> Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

      >>> I take it this was written before the appearance of BeerXP, much less
      >>> Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
      >>> _____
      >>> (¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually sounds like a brand of
      >>> beer . . . )
      >>

      >> "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once.
      >

      > You presumably realize that taking a recommendation from a Mormon about
      > beer — even a fictitious brand — may not be an optimal strategy . . .

      Yes.

      You presumably realize that a University of Texas grad might think
      anything branded "Longhorn" deserves at least a look. :)

      Julia

      who could give Ronn! something else called a "Longhorn" if chocolate is
      OK for Mormons....
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        At 07:41 AM Tuesday 11/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:

        > Julia
        >
        >who could give Ronn! something else called a "Longhorn"

        You presumably realize how that sounds.

        > if chocolate is OK for Mormons....

        It better be, given the amount consumed . . .

        --Ronn! :)

        "Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country
        and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
        GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that
        would be eliminated from schools too?"
        -- Red Skelton

      • Mauro Diotallevi
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
          On 10/31/05, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:

          "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
          > likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)

          Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
          I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former active
          brineller, Reggie Bautista. He introduced me to this list too, a long time
          ago. I had only had Shiner at bars in Kansas and Missouri until last summer
          when I was visiting a friend in Abilene, and I guess it must have been
          fresher there. I liked it a lot in KS and MO, but I adored it in Abilene.
          Mauro
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
            Mauro Diotallevi wrote:
            > On 10/31/05, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:
            >
            > "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
            >
            >>likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)
            >

            > Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
            > I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former active
            > brineller, Reggie Bautista. He introduced me to this list too, a long time
            > ago. I had only had Shiner at bars in Kansas and Missouri until last summer
            > when I was visiting a friend in Abilene, and I guess it must have been
            > fresher there. I liked it a lot in KS and MO, but I adored it in Abilene.
            > Mauro

            Shiner Bock is good. :)

            Shiner Blonde is nice, as well. I've tried their Winter Wheat, and it
            was nice.

            And then one week I declared that the only way I'd ever try a light beer
            would be if Shiner made one. 4 days later, guess what I saw on a
            billboard? :) (It's only available in Texas.) It's nice. Doesn't
            have the same sort of body that Bock has, but that's fine when it's
            hitting triple digits. (Need to lay in some Bock now that it's cooler....)

          • Reggie Bautista
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
              Mauro wrote:

              > Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
              > I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former
              active
              > brineller, Reggie Bautista.

              I'm not active around here much anymore, but I still lurk some. It's good
              to see you jumping in from time to time, Mauro. Do you remember back at
              that temp job when we first met (has it really been ten years?), our manager
              told us that we could be twins, except that we didn't look anything alike?
              Since most of our opinions are pretty similar, and even our writing style
              (although I parenthesize a lot more than you), it would probably be
              redundant for *both* of us to be active on this list (or at least unfair to
              those who we disagree with :-)

              Actually, my life is stabilizing a bit after the rollercoaster ride of the
              past couple of years, so you may see me around here at least a little bit
              more.

              And Mauro, yes, I still have that copy of Breakfast of Champions I borrowed
              from you in 1997...

              Reggie
              Multiple Memories and Nested References Maru