Re: Beer For Geeks

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
      At 09:43 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
      >Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
      >>At 06:18 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
      >>
      >>> Beer for Geeks
      >>>
      >>> DOS Beer: [snip]
      >>

      >>I take it this was written before the
      >>appearance of BeerXP, much less Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
      >>_____
      >>(¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually
      >>sounds like a brand of beer . . . )
      >
      >"Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once.

      You presumably realize that taking a
      recommendation from a Mormon about beer — even a
      fictitious brand — may not be an optimal strategy . . .

      --Ronn! :)

      "Since I was a small boy, two states have been
      added to our country and two words have been
      added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
      GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that
      is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
      -- Red Skelton

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
        > At 09:43 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
        >
        >> Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

        >>> I take it this was written before the appearance of BeerXP, much less
        >>> Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
        >>> _____
        >>> (¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually sounds like a brand of
        >>> beer . . . )
        >>

        >> "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once.
        >

        > You presumably realize that taking a recommendation from a Mormon about
        > beer — even a fictitious brand — may not be an optimal strategy . . .

        Yes.

        You presumably realize that a University of Texas grad might think
        anything branded "Longhorn" deserves at least a look. :)

        Julia

        who could give Ronn! something else called a "Longhorn" if chocolate is
        OK for Mormons....
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
          At 07:41 AM Tuesday 11/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:

          > Julia
          >
          >who could give Ronn! something else called a "Longhorn"

          You presumably realize how that sounds.

          > if chocolate is OK for Mormons....

          It better be, given the amount consumed . . .

          --Ronn! :)

          "Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country
          and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
          GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that
          would be eliminated from schools too?"
          -- Red Skelton

        • Mauro Diotallevi
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
            On 10/31/05, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:

            "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
            > likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)

            Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
            I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former active
            brineller, Reggie Bautista. He introduced me to this list too, a long time
            ago. I had only had Shiner at bars in Kansas and Missouri until last summer
            when I was visiting a friend in Abilene, and I guess it must have been
            fresher there. I liked it a lot in KS and MO, but I adored it in Abilene.
            Mauro
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
              Mauro Diotallevi wrote:
              > On 10/31/05, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:
              >
              > "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
              >
              >>likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)
              >

              > Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
              > I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former active
              > brineller, Reggie Bautista. He introduced me to this list too, a long time
              > ago. I had only had Shiner at bars in Kansas and Missouri until last summer
              > when I was visiting a friend in Abilene, and I guess it must have been
              > fresher there. I liked it a lot in KS and MO, but I adored it in Abilene.
              > Mauro

              Shiner Bock is good. :)

              Shiner Blonde is nice, as well. I've tried their Winter Wheat, and it
              was nice.

              And then one week I declared that the only way I'd ever try a light beer
              would be if Shiner made one. 4 days later, guess what I saw on a
              billboard? :) (It's only available in Texas.) It's nice. Doesn't
              have the same sort of body that Bock has, but that's fine when it's
              hitting triple digits. (Need to lay in some Bock now that it's cooler....)

            • Reggie Bautista
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                Mauro wrote:

                > Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
                > I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former
                active
                > brineller, Reggie Bautista.

                I'm not active around here much anymore, but I still lurk some. It's good
                to see you jumping in from time to time, Mauro. Do you remember back at
                that temp job when we first met (has it really been ten years?), our manager
                told us that we could be twins, except that we didn't look anything alike?
                Since most of our opinions are pretty similar, and even our writing style
                (although I parenthesize a lot more than you), it would probably be
                redundant for *both* of us to be active on this list (or at least unfair to
                those who we disagree with :-)

                Actually, my life is stabilizing a bit after the rollercoaster ride of the
                past couple of years, so you may see me around here at least a little bit
                more.

                And Mauro, yes, I still have that copy of Breakfast of Champions I borrowed
                from you in 1997...

                Reggie
                Multiple Memories and Nested References Maru