Re: Beer For Geeks

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
      Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
      > At 06:18 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
      >
      >> Beer for Geeks
      >>
      >> DOS Beer: [snip]
      >

      > I take it this was written before the appearance of BeerXP, much less
      > Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
      >
      > _____
      > (¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually sounds like a brand of
      > beer . . . )

      "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
      likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        At 09:43 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
        >Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
        >>At 06:18 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
        >>
        >>> Beer for Geeks
        >>>
        >>> DOS Beer: [snip]
        >>

        >>I take it this was written before the
        >>appearance of BeerXP, much less Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
        >>_____
        >>(¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually
        >>sounds like a brand of beer . . . )
        >
        >"Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once.

        You presumably realize that taking a
        recommendation from a Mormon about beer — even a
        fictitious brand — may not be an optimal strategy . . .

        --Ronn! :)

        "Since I was a small boy, two states have been
        added to our country and two words have been
        added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
        GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that
        is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
        -- Red Skelton

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
          Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
          > At 09:43 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
          >
          >> Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

          >>> I take it this was written before the appearance of BeerXP, much less
          >>> Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
          >>> _____
          >>> (¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually sounds like a brand of
          >>> beer . . . )
          >>

          >> "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once.
          >

          > You presumably realize that taking a recommendation from a Mormon about
          > beer — even a fictitious brand — may not be an optimal strategy . . .

          Yes.

          You presumably realize that a University of Texas grad might think
          anything branded "Longhorn" deserves at least a look. :)

          Julia

          who could give Ronn! something else called a "Longhorn" if chocolate is
          OK for Mormons....
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
            At 07:41 AM Tuesday 11/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:

            > Julia
            >
            >who could give Ronn! something else called a "Longhorn"

            You presumably realize how that sounds.

            > if chocolate is OK for Mormons....

            It better be, given the amount consumed . . .

            --Ronn! :)

            "Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country
            and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
            GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that
            would be eliminated from schools too?"
            -- Red Skelton

          • Mauro Diotallevi
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
              On 10/31/05, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:

              "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
              > likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)

              Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
              I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former active
              brineller, Reggie Bautista. He introduced me to this list too, a long time
              ago. I had only had Shiner at bars in Kansas and Missouri until last summer
              when I was visiting a friend in Abilene, and I guess it must have been
              fresher there. I liked it a lot in KS and MO, but I adored it in Abilene.
              Mauro
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                Mauro Diotallevi wrote:
                > On 10/31/05, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:
                >
                > "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
                >
                >>likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)
                >

                > Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
                > I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former active
                > brineller, Reggie Bautista. He introduced me to this list too, a long time
                > ago. I had only had Shiner at bars in Kansas and Missouri until last summer
                > when I was visiting a friend in Abilene, and I guess it must have been
                > fresher there. I liked it a lot in KS and MO, but I adored it in Abilene.
                > Mauro

                Shiner Bock is good. :)

                Shiner Blonde is nice, as well. I've tried their Winter Wheat, and it
                was nice.

                And then one week I declared that the only way I'd ever try a light beer
                would be if Shiner made one. 4 days later, guess what I saw on a
                billboard? :) (It's only available in Texas.) It's nice. Doesn't
                have the same sort of body that Bock has, but that's fine when it's
                hitting triple digits. (Need to lay in some Bock now that it's cooler....)

              • Reggie Bautista
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Mauro wrote:

                  > Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
                  > I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former
                  active
                  > brineller, Reggie Bautista.

                  I'm not active around here much anymore, but I still lurk some. It's good
                  to see you jumping in from time to time, Mauro. Do you remember back at
                  that temp job when we first met (has it really been ten years?), our manager
                  told us that we could be twins, except that we didn't look anything alike?
                  Since most of our opinions are pretty similar, and even our writing style
                  (although I parenthesize a lot more than you), it would probably be
                  redundant for *both* of us to be active on this list (or at least unfair to
                  those who we disagree with :-)

                  Actually, my life is stabilizing a bit after the rollercoaster ride of the
                  past couple of years, so you may see me around here at least a little bit
                  more.

                  And Mauro, yes, I still have that copy of Breakfast of Champions I borrowed
                  from you in 1997...

                  Reggie
                  Multiple Memories and Nested References Maru