Beer For Geeks

  • Robert G. Seeberger
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
      Beer for Geeks

      DOS Beer: Requires you to use your own can opener, and
      requires you to read the directions carefully before opening the can.
      Originally only came in an 8-oz can, but now comes in a 16-oz can.
      However, the can is divided into 8 compartments of 2-oz each, which
      have to be accessed separately. Soon to be discontinued, although a
      lot of people are going to keep drinking it after it's no longer
      available.
      MAC Beer: At first, came only in a 16-oz can, but now comes in a
      32-oz can. Considered by many to be a "light" beer. All the cans look
      identical. When you take one from the fridge, it opens itself. The
      ingredients list is not on the can. If you call to ask about the
      ingredients, you are told that "you don't need to know." A notice on
      the side reminds you to drag your empties to the wastebin.

      Windows 95 Beer: The world's most popular beer. Comes in a 16-oz
      can that looks a lot like Mac Beer's. Requires that you already own a
      DOS Beer. Claims that it allows you to drink several DOS Beers
      simultaneously, but in reality you can only drink a few of them, very
      slowly, especially slowly if you are drinking the Windows Beer at the
      same time. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, a can of Windows Beer
      will explode when you open it.

      Windows 98 Beer: See Windows 95 beer above. About the same but
      Windows 98 beer creates less gas and makes you crash less.

      Windows 2000 Beer: A new beer on the market. A lot of people
      have taste tested it and claim it's wonderful. The can looks like Mac
      and OS/2 Beer's can, but tastes like Windows 95/98 Beer. It comes in
      32-oz cans, but when you look inside, the cans only have 16-oz of beer
      in them. Most people will probably keep drinking Windows 95/98 Beer
      until their friends try Windows 2000 Beer and say they like it. The
      ingredients list, when you look at the small print, has some of the
      same ingredients that come in DOS and Mac Beer, even though the
      manufacturer claims that this is an entirely new brew.

      Windows NT Beer: Comes in 32-oz cans, but you can only buy it by
      the truckload. This causes most people to go out and buy bigger
      refrigerators. The can looks just like Windows 95 Beer's, but the
      company promises to change the can to look like Windows 2000 Beer's,
      after Windows 2000 Beer starts shipping well. Touted as an "industrial
      strength" beer, and suggested only for use in bars.

      Unix Beer: Comes in several different brands, in cans ranging
      from 8-oz to 64-oz. Drinkers on Unix Beer display fierce brand
      loyalty, even though they claim that all the different brands taste
      almost identical. Sometimes the pop-tops break off when you try to
      open them, so you have to have your own can opener around for these
      occasions, in which case you either need a complete set of
      instructions, or a friend who has been drinking Unix Beer for several
      years...

      AmigaOS Beer: The company has gone out of business, but their
      recipe has been picked up by some weird German company, so now this
      beer will be an import. This beer never really sold very well, because
      the original manufacturer didn't understand marketing. Like Unix Beer,
      AmigaDOS Beer fans are an extremely loyal and loud group. it
      originally came in a 16-oz can, but now comes in 32-oz cans too. When
      this can was originally introduced, it appeared flashy and colourful,
      but the design hasn't changed much over the years, so it appears dated
      now. Critics of this beer claim that it is only meant for watching TV
      anyway.

      xponent
      Brewski Maru

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
        At 06:18 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
        > Beer for Geeks
        >
        > DOS Beer: [snip]

        I take it this was written before the appearance
        of BeerXP, much less Longhorn¹ Beer . . .

        _____
        (¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually
        sounds like a brand of beer . . . )

        --Ronn! :)

        "Since I was a small boy, two states have been
        added to our country and two words have been
        added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
        GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that
        is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
        -- Red Skelton

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
          On 1 Nov 2005, at 1:45 am, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

          > At 06:18 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
          >> Beer for Geeks
          >>
          >> DOS Beer: [snip]
          >

          > I take it this was written before the appearance of BeerXP, much
          > less Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
          >
          > _____
          > (¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually sounds like a brand
          > of beer . . . )

          Or the 64-oz cans of MAC :)

          --
          William T Goodall
          Mail : wtg@...

          "Our products just aren't engineered for security." - Brian
          Valentine, senior vice president in charge of Microsoft's Windows
          development team.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
            Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
            > At 06:18 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
            >
            >> Beer for Geeks
            >>
            >> DOS Beer: [snip]
            >

            > I take it this was written before the appearance of BeerXP, much less
            > Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
            >
            > _____
            > (¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually sounds like a brand of
            > beer . . . )

            "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
            likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
              At 09:43 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
              >Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
              >>At 06:18 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
              >>
              >>> Beer for Geeks
              >>>
              >>> DOS Beer: [snip]
              >>

              >>I take it this was written before the
              >>appearance of BeerXP, much less Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
              >>_____
              >>(¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually
              >>sounds like a brand of beer . . . )
              >
              >"Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once.

              You presumably realize that taking a
              recommendation from a Mormon about beer — even a
              fictitious brand — may not be an optimal strategy . . .

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
                > At 09:43 PM Monday 10/31/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
                >
                >> Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

                >>> I take it this was written before the appearance of BeerXP, much less
                >>> Longhorn¹ Beer . . .
                >>> _____
                >>> (¹Yeah, I know. But "Longhorn Beer" actually sounds like a brand of
                >>> beer . . . )
                >>

                >> "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once.
                >

                > You presumably realize that taking a recommendation from a Mormon about
                > beer — even a fictitious brand — may not be an optimal strategy . . .

                Yes.

                You presumably realize that a University of Texas grad might think
                anything branded "Longhorn" deserves at least a look. :)

                Julia

                who could give Ronn! something else called a "Longhorn" if chocolate is
                OK for Mormons....
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                  At 07:41 AM Tuesday 11/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:

                  > Julia
                  >
                  >who could give Ronn! something else called a "Longhorn"

                  You presumably realize how that sounds.

                  > if chocolate is OK for Mormons....

                  It better be, given the amount consumed . . .

                  --Ronn! :)

                  "Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country
                  and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER
                  GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that
                  would be eliminated from schools too?"
                  -- Red Skelton

                • Mauro Diotallevi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                    On 10/31/05, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:

                    "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
                    > likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)

                    Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
                    I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former active
                    brineller, Reggie Bautista. He introduced me to this list too, a long time
                    ago. I had only had Shiner at bars in Kansas and Missouri until last summer
                    when I was visiting a friend in Abilene, and I guess it must have been
                    fresher there. I liked it a lot in KS and MO, but I adored it in Abilene.
                    Mauro
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                      Mauro Diotallevi wrote:
                      > On 10/31/05, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > "Longhorn Beer" sounds like a brand I'd try at least once. (Then I'd
                      >
                      >>likely just go back to Shiner. Mmmmm. Shiner.)
                      >

                      > Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
                      > I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former active
                      > brineller, Reggie Bautista. He introduced me to this list too, a long time
                      > ago. I had only had Shiner at bars in Kansas and Missouri until last summer
                      > when I was visiting a friend in Abilene, and I guess it must have been
                      > fresher there. I liked it a lot in KS and MO, but I adored it in Abilene.
                      > Mauro

                      Shiner Bock is good. :)

                      Shiner Blonde is nice, as well. I've tried their Winter Wheat, and it
                      was nice.

                      And then one week I declared that the only way I'd ever try a light beer
                      would be if Shiner made one. 4 days later, guess what I saw on a
                      billboard? :) (It's only available in Texas.) It's nice. Doesn't
                      have the same sort of body that Bock has, but that's fine when it's
                      hitting triple digits. (Need to lay in some Bock now that it's cooler....)

                    • Reggie Bautista
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Mauro wrote:

                        > Would that be Shiner Bock, Breakfast of Champions? :-)
                        > I was first introduced to Shiner by an old friend of mine and former
                        active
                        > brineller, Reggie Bautista.

                        I'm not active around here much anymore, but I still lurk some. It's good
                        to see you jumping in from time to time, Mauro. Do you remember back at
                        that temp job when we first met (has it really been ten years?), our manager
                        told us that we could be twins, except that we didn't look anything alike?
                        Since most of our opinions are pretty similar, and even our writing style
                        (although I parenthesize a lot more than you), it would probably be
                        redundant for *both* of us to be active on this list (or at least unfair to
                        those who we disagree with :-)

                        Actually, my life is stabilizing a bit after the rollercoaster ride of the
                        past couple of years, so you may see me around here at least a little bit
                        more.

                        And Mauro, yes, I still have that copy of Breakfast of Champions I borrowed
                        from you in 1997...

                        Reggie
                        Multiple Memories and Nested References Maru