Re: Action Alert: Ensure Fair Wages for Hurricane Victims!

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 1, 2005
      From: "Matthew and Julie Bos" <malamute@...>
      To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@...>
      Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 1:41 AM
      Subject: Re: Action Alert: Ensure Fair Wages for Hurricane Victims!

      > On 9/30/05 10:16 AM, "Nick Arnett" <narnett@...> wrote:
      >> Today I wrote a letter urging my member of Congress to sign on
      >> to legislation reinstating the wage protections enshrined in the
      >> Davis-Bacon Act. Two hundred representatives and 30 senators
      >> have already signed on. These numbers are encouraging, but they
      >> are not enough. Please join me by calling on your member of
      >> Congress to support the "Fair Wages for Hurricane Victims Act."
      >> The people of the Gulf Coast are counting on us.
      >
      > Why is it so important to keep this piece of racist depression-era
      > crap on
      > the books? Enshrined? Don't make me puke. Thanks for taking the
      > party
      > line and avoiding any rational thought on this issue.
      >
      > After all the volunteers go home, and they will, you will still have
      > two to
      > three years of rebuilding to do. How are you going to get all the
      > skilled
      > workers down there? I'm sure IBEW workers from NYC are just jumping
      > at the
      > chance to earn 9 bucks an hour. Do you have any kind of evidence of
      > these
      > 5.15 jobs? An ad in the paper to prove me wrong?
      >
      > This isn't about wages and you know it. It's about government work
      > and
      > union jobs and the nice cozy relationship enjoyed between the two.
      > Everybody loves to complain about Haliburton, but if they were
      > strident
      > AFL-CIO you wouldn't hear one thing about them. Like the unions
      > have never
      > overcharged the US taxpayer for any government project.
      >
      > I won't be supporting the "Rebuild New Orleans With Union Labor or
      > Else Act"
      > or whatever it really is called. You could also explain to me how
      > your
      > motives are not political in nature and only in the best interest of
      > the
      > people affected by these storms.
      >
      > Realize that any person in the skilled trades down there has more
      > than
      > enough work to keep them busy for years to come. They can turn down
      > any work
      > that won't pay them what they think they are worth. So can the
      > unskilled.
      > They are people, not victims. Get your hands off them.

      So......you know absolutely zip about the construction job market,
      right?
      Speaking of rational thought, why don't you learn something about the
      subject before you start spouting off.
      Oh wait, conservative.......never mind!

      xponent
      You're In My Yard Now Maru

    • Robert J. Chassell
      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 13, 2005
        According to

        http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12885261.htm

        of 2005 Oct 13

        Undocumented immigrants flock to jobs on Gulf Coast

        Lured here by the promise of fat paychecks and an emergency
        federal decree temporarily suspending immigration-enforcement
        sanctions, they sleep in tents, crowded hotel rooms and sometimes
        even in parking lots. They're hauling trash and cutting trees,
        fastening tarps to damaged roofs and tearing out wet Sheetrock
        from thousands of soaked buildings.

        It started out as a trickle. But over time, Hurricane Katrina has
        unleashed a flood of immigrants - some legal, some not - into New
        Orleans and other coastal communities ...

        Already, critics are complaining that they're losing work to
        cheaper, imported labor, even as immigrant advocates say the
        foreign workers themselves are being exploited.

        At a recent seminar about the rebuilding efforts, New Orleans
        Mayor Ray Nagin asked the crowd: "How do I ensure that New Orleans
        is not overrun by Mexican workers?"

        --
        Robert J. Chassell
        bob@... GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8