Re: Are you in the right religion?

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
      At 10:13 PM Tuesday 8/2/2005, Doug Pensinger wrote:
      >Liberal Quakers?

      Produce microwavable oatmeal.

    • Warren Ockrassa
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
        On Aug 2, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:14:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
        > brighto@... writes:
        >
        >> Liberal Quakers?
        >
        > All their carts come with horses in Depends. Anti-polution devices,
        > dontcha
        > know.

        Wrong group. You're thinking of the Amish. Quakers are actually pretty
        damned liberal; they were one of the few Xtian groups actively opposed
        to Viet Nam long before it became fashionable. IIRC it was because of
        Quakers that the term "conscientious objector" came into being.

        As Julia pointed out, a Quaker meeting is interesting. And very very
        quiet.

        --
        Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
        http://books.nightwares.com/

      • Russell Chapman
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
          Dave Land wrote:

          > Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
          > Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
          > church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
          > Christian Protestantism.

          I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
          Christian Protestants.
          According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
          yet only 14% Catholic.
          In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.

          Cheers
          Russell C.
          (Anglican married to a Catholic)

          This email (including any attachments) is confidential
          and copyright. The School makes no warranty about the
          content of this email. Unless expressly stated, this
          email does not bind the School and does not necessarily
          constitute the opinion of the School.

          If you have received this email in error, please delete
          it and notify the sender.
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
            On 3 Aug 2005, at 12:59 am, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

            > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
            > which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
            >
            > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

            1.
            Secular Humanism (100%)
            2.
            Unitarian Universalism (93%)
            3.
            Nontheist (91%)
            4.
            Liberal Quakers (72%)
            5.
            Theravada Buddhism (71%)
            6.
            Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (65%)
            7.
            Neo-Pagan (61%)
            8.
            Bahá'í Faith (48%)
            9.
            Reform Judaism (41%)
            10.
            Taoism (41%)
            11.
            Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (41%)
            12.
            Sikhism (38%)
            13.
            New Age (37%)
            14.
            Orthodox Quaker (34%)
            15.
            Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (34%)
            16.
            Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (34%)
            17.
            New Thought (27%)
            18.
            Mahayana Buddhism (25%)
            19.
            Scientology (24%)
            20.
            Eastern Orthodox (23%)
            21.
            Islam (23%)
            22.
            Orthodox Judaism (23%)
            23.
            Roman Catholic (23%)
            24.
            Seventh Day Adventist (20%)
            25.
            Jehovah's Witness (20%)
            26.
            Jainism (19%)
            27.
            Hinduism (17%)

            --
            William T Goodall
            Mail : wtg@...

            Maybe Windows is good for people who *think* they're geeks, but are
            not very good at it.

          • Jean-Louis Couturier
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
              2005/8/3, Russell Chapman <rchapman@...>:

              > I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
              > Christian Protestants.
              > According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
              > yet only 14% Catholic.
              > In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Russell C.
              > (Anglican married to a Catholic)

              Don't forget that the results are skewed towards the opinions/prejudices
              of the test's creator. Many of the possible answers looked to me like they
              were there to differentiate between Protestant and Catholic, with the
              Catholic answer being a typical Protestant caricature of our beliefs. (E.g.
              the nature of the Trinity)

              I didn't make it to the end of the questionnaire.
              Jean-Louis
            • Nick Lidster
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                > I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                > Christian Protestants.
                > According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                > yet only 14% Catholic.
                > In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Russell C.
                > (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                Don't forget that the results are skewed towards the opinions/prejudices
                of the test's creator. Many of the possible answers looked to me like they
                were there to differentiate between Protestant and Catholic, with the
                Catholic answer being a typical Protestant caricature of our beliefs. (E.g.
                the nature of the Trinity)

                I didn't make it to the end of the questionnaire.
                Jean-Louis

                what was it... 3 4 pages? At 5 questions each.... Takes like 2 mins to do
                it..... and you spout about how it was done... and how the questions were
                geared, yet you never even finished it.

                You must have done up to the 2nd page did ya?

                Nick "neo pagan" Lidster

                Hehehe im NEO.....

              • Deborah Harrell
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                  > Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:

                  > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that
                  > alleges to tell you
                  > which religions are more in line with your personal
                  > weltanschauung:
                  >
                  > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>
                  >
                  > I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):
                  >
                  > 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                  > 2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
                  > 3. Secular Humanism (92%)
                  > 4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
                  > 5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
                  > 6. Taoism (69%)
                  > 7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
                  > 8. Nontheist (65%)
                  > 9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
                  > 10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)...

                  Hey, there weren't any categories for heretics! ;)
                  I selected one sentence from each group below with
                  which I particularly agree.

                  Moi:
                  1. Liberal Quakers (100%)
                  The primary focus is nondogmatic: God is love,
                  love is eternal, and our actions in life should
                  reflect love for all of humanity.

                  2. Neo-Pagan (98%)
                  No human incarnations are worshipped in
                  particular, as all of nature and the universe are
                  considered embodiments of God and Goddess, or of gods
                  and goddesses, worthy of respect, reverence, or
                  worship.

                  3. Unitarian Universalism (96%)
                  Most believe that God is good and made people
                  inherently good but also with free will and an
                  imperfect nature that leads some to immoral behavior.

                  4. New Age (92%)
                  Most believe there are no particular incarnations
                  to worship, as all in the universe are embodiments of
                  God. [I actually _don't_ think of myself as a NewAger
                  at all, not going in for tarot or crystal-gazing, and
                  I _do_ believe that evil exists, though not as a
                  personal Devil.]

                  5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (83%)
                  Goodness will somehow be rewarded and evil
                  punished after death, but what is most important is
                  how you show your faith and conduct your life on
                  earth.

                  6. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
                  Buddha taught the middle path, moderation.

                  7. Reform Judaism (82%)
                  Salvation is achieved through faith and prayer to
                  God, good works, concern for the earth and humanity,
                  and behavior that does no harm to others.

                  8. Bahá'í Faith (78%)
                  “Hell” is the self-made torture of isolation from
                  God--spiritual death.

                  9. Secular Humanism (69%)
                  The scientific method is most respected as the
                  means for revealing the mysteries of the origins of
                  the universe and life.

                  10. Theravada Buddhism (67%)
                  People have free will to commit wrongs or rights.

                  So, other than the critical-mass NewAger, that's not
                  too far from my self-proclaimed (with recent revision)
                  belief system, I think...

                  Debbi
                  Heretic-Lutheran Gaian-Deist Maru

                • Andrew Paul
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                    > [mailto:brin-l-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Deborah Harrell
                    > >
                    > > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>
                    > >
                    > > I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):
                    > >
                    > > 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                    > > 2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
                    > > 3. Secular Humanism (92%)
                    > > 4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
                    > > 5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
                    > > 6. Taoism (69%)
                    > > 7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
                    > > 8. Nontheist (65%)
                    > > 9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
                    > > 10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)...

                    I got:

                    1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                    2. Liberal Quakers (87%)
                    3. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (86%)
                    4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (84%)
                    5. New Age (80%)
                    6. Neo-Pagan (79%)
                    7. New Thought (76%)
                    8. Secular Humanism (73%)
                    9. Scientology (72%)
                    10. Mahayana Buddhism (69%)
                    11. Taoism (62%)
                    12. Theravada Buddhism (62%)

                    Thank you for the summaries :)

                    Still think I am a Taoist Maru

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Oy vey, it thinks I'm Jewish. :-)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                        At 10:14 PM Wednesday 8/3/2005, Dan Minette wrote:
                        >Oy vey, it thinks I'm Jewish. :-)

                        Sometimes any possible response would come up a bit short . . .

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                          At 06:59 PM Tuesday 8/2/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                          >Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you which
                          >religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
                          >
                          ><http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

                          Heck, I'm not even sure I'm on the right planet!

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                            On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                            > There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people waiting
                            > for someone to be inspired to say something.

                            One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                          • Warren Ockrassa
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                              On Aug 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:

                              > On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                              >> There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people
                              >> waiting
                              >> for someone to be inspired to say something.
                              >
                              > One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...

                              Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?

                              When?

                              --
                              Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
                              http://books.nightwares.com/
                              Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
                              http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf

                            • Matthew and Julie Bos
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                On 8/6/05 9:49 AM, "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...> wrote:

                                > On Aug 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:
                                >
                                >> On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                >>> There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people
                                >>> waiting
                                >>> for someone to be inspired to say something.
                                >>
                                >> One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                >
                                > Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?
                                >
                                > When?

                                We are never silent as a list, but people tend to post here when they are
                                inspired. Inspired posts are always my favorite. Like Gautam's take on
                                Harry Potter's latest adventure and his actions as a hero. Good stuff to
                                think on being a dad and all.

                                Right now, I can only listen, as I spend most of my summer away from home on
                                business. I have to get back to yardwork, as I can't do it during the week.

                                Arizona is no summer vacation!
                                Matthew Bos
                              • Warren Ockrassa
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                  On Aug 6, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:

                                  > On 8/6/05 9:49 AM, "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...> wrote:

                                  >>> One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                  >>
                                  >> Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?
                                  >>
                                  >> When?
                                  >
                                  > We are never silent as a list, but people tend to post here when they
                                  > are
                                  > inspired.

                                  Ah, I see -- a common mistake. The word you want is *insipid*, not
                                  inspired.

                                  :D

                                  > Arizona is no summer vacation!

                                  It is for the millions who only come here to visit, especially in
                                  December. ;)