Re: Are you in the right religion?

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
      Doug Pensinger wrote:
      > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:24:23 -0700, Dave Land <dland@...> wrote:
      >
      >> On Aug 2, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
      >>
      >>> Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
      >>> which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
      >>

      >> Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
      >> Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
      >> church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
      >> Christian Protestantism.
      >

      > Liberal Quakers?
      >
      > 1. Secular Humanism (100%)
      > 2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
      > 3. Liberal Quakers (81%)

      Why not?

      I met some in Ohio once.... I may have met others, but didn't know they
      were Quakers. The ones I met in Ohio were at a Quaker meeting.

      There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people waiting
      for someone to be inspired to say something.

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
        At 10:13 PM Tuesday 8/2/2005, Doug Pensinger wrote:
        >Liberal Quakers?

        Produce microwavable oatmeal.

      • Warren Ockrassa
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
          On Aug 2, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:14:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
          > brighto@... writes:
          >
          >> Liberal Quakers?
          >
          > All their carts come with horses in Depends. Anti-polution devices,
          > dontcha
          > know.

          Wrong group. You're thinking of the Amish. Quakers are actually pretty
          damned liberal; they were one of the few Xtian groups actively opposed
          to Viet Nam long before it became fashionable. IIRC it was because of
          Quakers that the term "conscientious objector" came into being.

          As Julia pointed out, a Quaker meeting is interesting. And very very
          quiet.

          --
          Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
          http://books.nightwares.com/

        • Russell Chapman
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
            Dave Land wrote:

            > Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
            > Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
            > church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
            > Christian Protestantism.

            I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
            Christian Protestants.
            According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
            yet only 14% Catholic.
            In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.

            Cheers
            Russell C.
            (Anglican married to a Catholic)

            This email (including any attachments) is confidential
            and copyright. The School makes no warranty about the
            content of this email. Unless expressly stated, this
            email does not bind the School and does not necessarily
            constitute the opinion of the School.

            If you have received this email in error, please delete
            it and notify the sender.
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
              On 3 Aug 2005, at 12:59 am, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

              > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
              > which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
              >
              > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

              1.
              Secular Humanism (100%)
              2.
              Unitarian Universalism (93%)
              3.
              Nontheist (91%)
              4.
              Liberal Quakers (72%)
              5.
              Theravada Buddhism (71%)
              6.
              Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (65%)
              7.
              Neo-Pagan (61%)
              8.
              Bahá'í Faith (48%)
              9.
              Reform Judaism (41%)
              10.
              Taoism (41%)
              11.
              Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (41%)
              12.
              Sikhism (38%)
              13.
              New Age (37%)
              14.
              Orthodox Quaker (34%)
              15.
              Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (34%)
              16.
              Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (34%)
              17.
              New Thought (27%)
              18.
              Mahayana Buddhism (25%)
              19.
              Scientology (24%)
              20.
              Eastern Orthodox (23%)
              21.
              Islam (23%)
              22.
              Orthodox Judaism (23%)
              23.
              Roman Catholic (23%)
              24.
              Seventh Day Adventist (20%)
              25.
              Jehovah's Witness (20%)
              26.
              Jainism (19%)
              27.
              Hinduism (17%)

              --
              William T Goodall
              Mail : wtg@...

              Maybe Windows is good for people who *think* they're geeks, but are
              not very good at it.

            • Jean-Louis Couturier
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                2005/8/3, Russell Chapman <rchapman@...>:

                > I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                > Christian Protestants.
                > According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                > yet only 14% Catholic.
                > In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Russell C.
                > (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                Don't forget that the results are skewed towards the opinions/prejudices
                of the test's creator. Many of the possible answers looked to me like they
                were there to differentiate between Protestant and Catholic, with the
                Catholic answer being a typical Protestant caricature of our beliefs. (E.g.
                the nature of the Trinity)

                I didn't make it to the end of the questionnaire.
                Jean-Louis
              • Nick Lidster
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                  > I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                  > Christian Protestants.
                  > According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                  > yet only 14% Catholic.
                  > In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Russell C.
                  > (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                  Don't forget that the results are skewed towards the opinions/prejudices
                  of the test's creator. Many of the possible answers looked to me like they
                  were there to differentiate between Protestant and Catholic, with the
                  Catholic answer being a typical Protestant caricature of our beliefs. (E.g.
                  the nature of the Trinity)

                  I didn't make it to the end of the questionnaire.
                  Jean-Louis

                  what was it... 3 4 pages? At 5 questions each.... Takes like 2 mins to do
                  it..... and you spout about how it was done... and how the questions were
                  geared, yet you never even finished it.

                  You must have done up to the 2nd page did ya?

                  Nick "neo pagan" Lidster

                  Hehehe im NEO.....

                • Deborah Harrell
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                    > Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:

                    > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that
                    > alleges to tell you
                    > which religions are more in line with your personal
                    > weltanschauung:
                    >
                    > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>
                    >
                    > I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):
                    >
                    > 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                    > 2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
                    > 3. Secular Humanism (92%)
                    > 4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
                    > 5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
                    > 6. Taoism (69%)
                    > 7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
                    > 8. Nontheist (65%)
                    > 9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
                    > 10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)...

                    Hey, there weren't any categories for heretics! ;)
                    I selected one sentence from each group below with
                    which I particularly agree.

                    Moi:
                    1. Liberal Quakers (100%)
                    The primary focus is nondogmatic: God is love,
                    love is eternal, and our actions in life should
                    reflect love for all of humanity.

                    2. Neo-Pagan (98%)
                    No human incarnations are worshipped in
                    particular, as all of nature and the universe are
                    considered embodiments of God and Goddess, or of gods
                    and goddesses, worthy of respect, reverence, or
                    worship.

                    3. Unitarian Universalism (96%)
                    Most believe that God is good and made people
                    inherently good but also with free will and an
                    imperfect nature that leads some to immoral behavior.

                    4. New Age (92%)
                    Most believe there are no particular incarnations
                    to worship, as all in the universe are embodiments of
                    God. [I actually _don't_ think of myself as a NewAger
                    at all, not going in for tarot or crystal-gazing, and
                    I _do_ believe that evil exists, though not as a
                    personal Devil.]

                    5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (83%)
                    Goodness will somehow be rewarded and evil
                    punished after death, but what is most important is
                    how you show your faith and conduct your life on
                    earth.

                    6. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
                    Buddha taught the middle path, moderation.

                    7. Reform Judaism (82%)
                    Salvation is achieved through faith and prayer to
                    God, good works, concern for the earth and humanity,
                    and behavior that does no harm to others.

                    8. Bahá'í Faith (78%)
                    “Hell” is the self-made torture of isolation from
                    God--spiritual death.

                    9. Secular Humanism (69%)
                    The scientific method is most respected as the
                    means for revealing the mysteries of the origins of
                    the universe and life.

                    10. Theravada Buddhism (67%)
                    People have free will to commit wrongs or rights.

                    So, other than the critical-mass NewAger, that's not
                    too far from my self-proclaimed (with recent revision)
                    belief system, I think...

                    Debbi
                    Heretic-Lutheran Gaian-Deist Maru

                  • Andrew Paul
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                      > [mailto:brin-l-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Deborah Harrell
                      > >
                      > > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>
                      > >
                      > > I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):
                      > >
                      > > 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                      > > 2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
                      > > 3. Secular Humanism (92%)
                      > > 4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
                      > > 5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
                      > > 6. Taoism (69%)
                      > > 7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
                      > > 8. Nontheist (65%)
                      > > 9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
                      > > 10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)...

                      I got:

                      1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                      2. Liberal Quakers (87%)
                      3. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (86%)
                      4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (84%)
                      5. New Age (80%)
                      6. Neo-Pagan (79%)
                      7. New Thought (76%)
                      8. Secular Humanism (73%)
                      9. Scientology (72%)
                      10. Mahayana Buddhism (69%)
                      11. Taoism (62%)
                      12. Theravada Buddhism (62%)

                      Thank you for the summaries :)

                      Still think I am a Taoist Maru

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                        Oy vey, it thinks I'm Jewish. :-)

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                          At 10:14 PM Wednesday 8/3/2005, Dan Minette wrote:
                          >Oy vey, it thinks I'm Jewish. :-)

                          Sometimes any possible response would come up a bit short . . .

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                            At 06:59 PM Tuesday 8/2/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                            >Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you which
                            >religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
                            >
                            ><http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

                            Heck, I'm not even sure I'm on the right planet!

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                              On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                              > There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people waiting
                              > for someone to be inspired to say something.

                              One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                            • Warren Ockrassa
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                On Aug 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:

                                > On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                >> There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people
                                >> waiting
                                >> for someone to be inspired to say something.
                                >
                                > One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...

                                Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?

                                When?

                                --
                                Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
                                http://books.nightwares.com/
                                Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
                                http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf

                              • Matthew and Julie Bos
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                  On 8/6/05 9:49 AM, "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...> wrote:

                                  > On Aug 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                  >>> There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people
                                  >>> waiting
                                  >>> for someone to be inspired to say something.
                                  >>
                                  >> One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                  >
                                  > Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?
                                  >
                                  > When?

                                  We are never silent as a list, but people tend to post here when they are
                                  inspired. Inspired posts are always my favorite. Like Gautam's take on
                                  Harry Potter's latest adventure and his actions as a hero. Good stuff to
                                  think on being a dad and all.

                                  Right now, I can only listen, as I spend most of my summer away from home on
                                  business. I have to get back to yardwork, as I can't do it during the week.

                                  Arizona is no summer vacation!
                                  Matthew Bos
                                • Warren Ockrassa
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                    On Aug 6, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:

                                    > On 8/6/05 9:49 AM, "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...> wrote:

                                    >>> One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                    >>
                                    >> Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?
                                    >>
                                    >> When?
                                    >
                                    > We are never silent as a list, but people tend to post here when they
                                    > are
                                    > inspired.

                                    Ah, I see -- a common mistake. The word you want is *insipid*, not
                                    inspired.

                                    :D

                                    > Arizona is no summer vacation!

                                    It is for the millions who only come here to visit, especially in
                                    December. ;)