Re: Are you in the right religion?

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
      On Aug 2, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

      > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
      > which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:

      Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
      Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
      church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
      Christian Protestantism.

      Dave "20 bonus points for correctly using the word weltanschauung" Land

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
        On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:24:23 -0700, Dave Land <dland@...> wrote:

        > On Aug 2, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
        >
        >> Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
        >> which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
        >
        > Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
        > Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
        > church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
        > Christian Protestantism.

        Liberal Quakers?

        1. Secular Humanism (100%)
        2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
        3. Liberal Quakers (81%)
        4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (77%)
        5. Nontheist (72%)
        6. Neo-Pagan (68%)
        7. Theravada Buddhism (60%)
        8. Bahá'í Faith (53%)
        9. New Age (53%)
        10. Reform Judaism (51%)
        11. Taoism (48%)
        12. Orthodox Quaker (40%)
        13. Sikhism (40%)
        14. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (40%)
        15. Mahayana Buddhism (38%)
        16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (37%)
        17. New Thought (35%)
        18. Scientology (35%)
        19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (30%)
        20. Jainism (29%)
        21. Eastern Orthodox (24%)
        22. Islam (24%)
        23. Orthodox Judaism (24%)
        24. Roman Catholic (24%)
        25. Seventh Day Adventist (20%)
        26. Hinduism (18%)
        27. Jehovah's Witness (18%)
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
          In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:14:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
          brighto@... writes:

          Liberal Quakers?

          All their carts come with horses in Depends. Anti-polution devices, dontcha
          know.
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
            Doug Pensinger wrote:
            > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:24:23 -0700, Dave Land <dland@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On Aug 2, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
            >>
            >>> Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
            >>> which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
            >>

            >> Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
            >> Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
            >> church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
            >> Christian Protestantism.
            >

            > Liberal Quakers?
            >
            > 1. Secular Humanism (100%)
            > 2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
            > 3. Liberal Quakers (81%)

            Why not?

            I met some in Ohio once.... I may have met others, but didn't know they
            were Quakers. The ones I met in Ohio were at a Quaker meeting.

            There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people waiting
            for someone to be inspired to say something.

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
              At 10:13 PM Tuesday 8/2/2005, Doug Pensinger wrote:
              >Liberal Quakers?

              Produce microwavable oatmeal.

            • Warren Ockrassa
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
                On Aug 2, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:14:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                > brighto@... writes:
                >
                >> Liberal Quakers?
                >
                > All their carts come with horses in Depends. Anti-polution devices,
                > dontcha
                > know.

                Wrong group. You're thinking of the Amish. Quakers are actually pretty
                damned liberal; they were one of the few Xtian groups actively opposed
                to Viet Nam long before it became fashionable. IIRC it was because of
                Quakers that the term "conscientious objector" came into being.

                As Julia pointed out, a Quaker meeting is interesting. And very very
                quiet.

                --
                Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
                http://books.nightwares.com/

              • Russell Chapman
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Dave Land wrote:

                  > Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
                  > Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
                  > church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
                  > Christian Protestantism.

                  I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                  Christian Protestants.
                  According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                  yet only 14% Catholic.
                  In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.

                  Cheers
                  Russell C.
                  (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                  This email (including any attachments) is confidential
                  and copyright. The School makes no warranty about the
                  content of this email. Unless expressly stated, this
                  email does not bind the School and does not necessarily
                  constitute the opinion of the School.

                  If you have received this email in error, please delete
                  it and notify the sender.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                    On 3 Aug 2005, at 12:59 am, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

                    > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
                    > which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
                    >
                    > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

                    1.
                    Secular Humanism (100%)
                    2.
                    Unitarian Universalism (93%)
                    3.
                    Nontheist (91%)
                    4.
                    Liberal Quakers (72%)
                    5.
                    Theravada Buddhism (71%)
                    6.
                    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (65%)
                    7.
                    Neo-Pagan (61%)
                    8.
                    Bahá'í Faith (48%)
                    9.
                    Reform Judaism (41%)
                    10.
                    Taoism (41%)
                    11.
                    Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (41%)
                    12.
                    Sikhism (38%)
                    13.
                    New Age (37%)
                    14.
                    Orthodox Quaker (34%)
                    15.
                    Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (34%)
                    16.
                    Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (34%)
                    17.
                    New Thought (27%)
                    18.
                    Mahayana Buddhism (25%)
                    19.
                    Scientology (24%)
                    20.
                    Eastern Orthodox (23%)
                    21.
                    Islam (23%)
                    22.
                    Orthodox Judaism (23%)
                    23.
                    Roman Catholic (23%)
                    24.
                    Seventh Day Adventist (20%)
                    25.
                    Jehovah's Witness (20%)
                    26.
                    Jainism (19%)
                    27.
                    Hinduism (17%)

                    --
                    William T Goodall
                    Mail : wtg@...

                    Maybe Windows is good for people who *think* they're geeks, but are
                    not very good at it.

                  • Jean-Louis Couturier
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                      2005/8/3, Russell Chapman <rchapman@...>:

                      > I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                      > Christian Protestants.
                      > According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                      > yet only 14% Catholic.
                      > In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Russell C.
                      > (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                      Don't forget that the results are skewed towards the opinions/prejudices
                      of the test's creator. Many of the possible answers looked to me like they
                      were there to differentiate between Protestant and Catholic, with the
                      Catholic answer being a typical Protestant caricature of our beliefs. (E.g.
                      the nature of the Trinity)

                      I didn't make it to the end of the questionnaire.
                      Jean-Louis
                    • Nick Lidster
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                        > I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                        > Christian Protestants.
                        > According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                        > yet only 14% Catholic.
                        > In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Russell C.
                        > (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                        Don't forget that the results are skewed towards the opinions/prejudices
                        of the test's creator. Many of the possible answers looked to me like they
                        were there to differentiate between Protestant and Catholic, with the
                        Catholic answer being a typical Protestant caricature of our beliefs. (E.g.
                        the nature of the Trinity)

                        I didn't make it to the end of the questionnaire.
                        Jean-Louis

                        what was it... 3 4 pages? At 5 questions each.... Takes like 2 mins to do
                        it..... and you spout about how it was done... and how the questions were
                        geared, yet you never even finished it.

                        You must have done up to the 2nd page did ya?

                        Nick "neo pagan" Lidster

                        Hehehe im NEO.....

                      • Deborah Harrell
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                          > Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:

                          > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that
                          > alleges to tell you
                          > which religions are more in line with your personal
                          > weltanschauung:
                          >
                          > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>
                          >
                          > I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):
                          >
                          > 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                          > 2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
                          > 3. Secular Humanism (92%)
                          > 4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
                          > 5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
                          > 6. Taoism (69%)
                          > 7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
                          > 8. Nontheist (65%)
                          > 9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
                          > 10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)...

                          Hey, there weren't any categories for heretics! ;)
                          I selected one sentence from each group below with
                          which I particularly agree.

                          Moi:
                          1. Liberal Quakers (100%)
                          The primary focus is nondogmatic: God is love,
                          love is eternal, and our actions in life should
                          reflect love for all of humanity.

                          2. Neo-Pagan (98%)
                          No human incarnations are worshipped in
                          particular, as all of nature and the universe are
                          considered embodiments of God and Goddess, or of gods
                          and goddesses, worthy of respect, reverence, or
                          worship.

                          3. Unitarian Universalism (96%)
                          Most believe that God is good and made people
                          inherently good but also with free will and an
                          imperfect nature that leads some to immoral behavior.

                          4. New Age (92%)
                          Most believe there are no particular incarnations
                          to worship, as all in the universe are embodiments of
                          God. [I actually _don't_ think of myself as a NewAger
                          at all, not going in for tarot or crystal-gazing, and
                          I _do_ believe that evil exists, though not as a
                          personal Devil.]

                          5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (83%)
                          Goodness will somehow be rewarded and evil
                          punished after death, but what is most important is
                          how you show your faith and conduct your life on
                          earth.

                          6. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
                          Buddha taught the middle path, moderation.

                          7. Reform Judaism (82%)
                          Salvation is achieved through faith and prayer to
                          God, good works, concern for the earth and humanity,
                          and behavior that does no harm to others.

                          8. Bahá'í Faith (78%)
                          “Hell” is the self-made torture of isolation from
                          God--spiritual death.

                          9. Secular Humanism (69%)
                          The scientific method is most respected as the
                          means for revealing the mysteries of the origins of
                          the universe and life.

                          10. Theravada Buddhism (67%)
                          People have free will to commit wrongs or rights.

                          So, other than the critical-mass NewAger, that's not
                          too far from my self-proclaimed (with recent revision)
                          belief system, I think...

                          Debbi
                          Heretic-Lutheran Gaian-Deist Maru

                        • Andrew Paul
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                            > [mailto:brin-l-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Deborah Harrell
                            > >
                            > > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>
                            > >
                            > > I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):
                            > >
                            > > 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                            > > 2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
                            > > 3. Secular Humanism (92%)
                            > > 4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
                            > > 5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
                            > > 6. Taoism (69%)
                            > > 7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
                            > > 8. Nontheist (65%)
                            > > 9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
                            > > 10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)...

                            I got:

                            1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                            2. Liberal Quakers (87%)
                            3. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (86%)
                            4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (84%)
                            5. New Age (80%)
                            6. Neo-Pagan (79%)
                            7. New Thought (76%)
                            8. Secular Humanism (73%)
                            9. Scientology (72%)
                            10. Mahayana Buddhism (69%)
                            11. Taoism (62%)
                            12. Theravada Buddhism (62%)

                            Thank you for the summaries :)

                            Still think I am a Taoist Maru

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                              Oy vey, it thinks I'm Jewish. :-)

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                                At 10:14 PM Wednesday 8/3/2005, Dan Minette wrote:
                                >Oy vey, it thinks I'm Jewish. :-)

                                Sometimes any possible response would come up a bit short . . .

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                                  At 06:59 PM Tuesday 8/2/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                                  >Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you which
                                  >religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
                                  >
                                  ><http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

                                  Heck, I'm not even sure I'm on the right planet!

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                    On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                    > There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people waiting
                                    > for someone to be inspired to say something.

                                    One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                  • Warren Ockrassa
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                      On Aug 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:

                                      > On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                      >> There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people
                                      >> waiting
                                      >> for someone to be inspired to say something.
                                      >
                                      > One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...

                                      Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?

                                      When?

                                      --
                                      Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
                                      http://books.nightwares.com/
                                      Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
                                      http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf

                                    • Matthew and Julie Bos
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                        On 8/6/05 9:49 AM, "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...> wrote:

                                        > On Aug 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                        >>> There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people
                                        >>> waiting
                                        >>> for someone to be inspired to say something.
                                        >>
                                        >> One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                        >
                                        > Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?
                                        >
                                        > When?

                                        We are never silent as a list, but people tend to post here when they are
                                        inspired. Inspired posts are always my favorite. Like Gautam's take on
                                        Harry Potter's latest adventure and his actions as a hero. Good stuff to
                                        think on being a dad and all.

                                        Right now, I can only listen, as I spend most of my summer away from home on
                                        business. I have to get back to yardwork, as I can't do it during the week.

                                        Arizona is no summer vacation!
                                        Matthew Bos
                                      • Warren Ockrassa
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 6, 2005
                                          On Aug 6, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:

                                          > On 8/6/05 9:49 AM, "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...> wrote:

                                          >>> One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                          >>
                                          >> Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?
                                          >>
                                          >> When?
                                          >
                                          > We are never silent as a list, but people tend to post here when they
                                          > are
                                          > inspired.

                                          Ah, I see -- a common mistake. The word you want is *insipid*, not
                                          inspired.

                                          :D

                                          > Arizona is no summer vacation!

                                          It is for the millions who only come here to visit, especially in
                                          December. ;)