Are you in the right religion?

  • Warren Ockrassa
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2 4:59 PM
      Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
      which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:

      <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

      I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):

      1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
      2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
      3. Secular Humanism (92%)
      4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
      5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
      6. Taoism (69%)
      7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
      8. Nontheist (65%)
      9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
      10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)
      11. Jainism (53%)
      12. Orthodox Quaker (51%)
      13. New Age (49%)
      14. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (45%)
      15. Sikhism (45%)
      16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (42%)
      17. Reform Judaism (41%)
      18. Hinduism (40%)
      19. Jehovah's Witness (34%)
      20. New Thought (34%)
      21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (32%)
      22. Scientology (28%)
      23. Seventh Day Adventist (26%)
      24. Eastern Orthodox (15%)
      25. Islam (15%)
      26. Orthodox Judaism (15%)
      27. Roman Catholic (15%)

      --
      Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
      http://books.nightwares.com/

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2 5:24 PM
        On Aug 2, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

        > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
        > which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:

        Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
        Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
        church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
        Christian Protestantism.

        Dave "20 bonus points for correctly using the word weltanschauung" Land

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2 8:13 PM
          On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:24:23 -0700, Dave Land <dland@...> wrote:

          > On Aug 2, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
          >
          >> Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
          >> which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
          >
          > Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
          > Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
          > church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
          > Christian Protestantism.

          Liberal Quakers?

          1. Secular Humanism (100%)
          2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
          3. Liberal Quakers (81%)
          4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (77%)
          5. Nontheist (72%)
          6. Neo-Pagan (68%)
          7. Theravada Buddhism (60%)
          8. Bahá'í Faith (53%)
          9. New Age (53%)
          10. Reform Judaism (51%)
          11. Taoism (48%)
          12. Orthodox Quaker (40%)
          13. Sikhism (40%)
          14. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (40%)
          15. Mahayana Buddhism (38%)
          16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (37%)
          17. New Thought (35%)
          18. Scientology (35%)
          19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (30%)
          20. Jainism (29%)
          21. Eastern Orthodox (24%)
          22. Islam (24%)
          23. Orthodox Judaism (24%)
          24. Roman Catholic (24%)
          25. Seventh Day Adventist (20%)
          26. Hinduism (18%)
          27. Jehovah's Witness (18%)
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2 8:35 PM
            In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:14:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
            brighto@... writes:

            Liberal Quakers?

            All their carts come with horses in Depends. Anti-polution devices, dontcha
            know.
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2 8:56 PM
              Doug Pensinger wrote:
              > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:24:23 -0700, Dave Land <dland@...> wrote:
              >
              >> On Aug 2, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
              >>
              >>> Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
              >>> which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
              >>

              >> Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
              >> Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
              >> church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
              >> Christian Protestantism.
              >

              > Liberal Quakers?
              >
              > 1. Secular Humanism (100%)
              > 2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
              > 3. Liberal Quakers (81%)

              Why not?

              I met some in Ohio once.... I may have met others, but didn't know they
              were Quakers. The ones I met in Ohio were at a Quaker meeting.

              There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people waiting
              for someone to be inspired to say something.

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2 11:17 PM
                At 10:13 PM Tuesday 8/2/2005, Doug Pensinger wrote:
                >Liberal Quakers?

                Produce microwavable oatmeal.

              • Warren Ockrassa
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2 11:22 PM
                  On Aug 2, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:14:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                  > brighto@... writes:
                  >
                  >> Liberal Quakers?
                  >
                  > All their carts come with horses in Depends. Anti-polution devices,
                  > dontcha
                  > know.

                  Wrong group. You're thinking of the Amish. Quakers are actually pretty
                  damned liberal; they were one of the few Xtian groups actively opposed
                  to Viet Nam long before it became fashionable. IIRC it was because of
                  Quakers that the term "conscientious objector" came into being.

                  As Julia pointed out, a Quaker meeting is interesting. And very very
                  quiet.

                  --
                  Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
                  http://books.nightwares.com/
                  Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
                  http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf

                • Russell Chapman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2 11:38 PM
                    Dave Land wrote:

                    > Apparently, I AM in the right religion: Mainline to Liberal Christian
                    > Protestants (100%). I currently attend and worship at a United Methodist
                    > church, which is pretty well over on the Liberal end of Mainline
                    > Christian Protestantism.

                    I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                    Christian Protestants.
                    According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                    yet only 14% Catholic.
                    In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.

                    Cheers
                    Russell C.
                    (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                    This email (including any attachments) is confidential
                    and copyright. The School makes no warranty about the
                    content of this email. Unless expressly stated, this
                    email does not bind the School and does not necessarily
                    constitute the opinion of the School.

                    If you have received this email in error, please delete
                    it and notify the sender.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 3 5:52 AM
                      On 3 Aug 2005, at 12:59 am, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

                      > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you
                      > which religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
                      >
                      > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

                      1.
                      Secular Humanism (100%)
                      2.
                      Unitarian Universalism (93%)
                      3.
                      Nontheist (91%)
                      4.
                      Liberal Quakers (72%)
                      5.
                      Theravada Buddhism (71%)
                      6.
                      Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (65%)
                      7.
                      Neo-Pagan (61%)
                      8.
                      Bahá'í Faith (48%)
                      9.
                      Reform Judaism (41%)
                      10.
                      Taoism (41%)
                      11.
                      Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (41%)
                      12.
                      Sikhism (38%)
                      13.
                      New Age (37%)
                      14.
                      Orthodox Quaker (34%)
                      15.
                      Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (34%)
                      16.
                      Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (34%)
                      17.
                      New Thought (27%)
                      18.
                      Mahayana Buddhism (25%)
                      19.
                      Scientology (24%)
                      20.
                      Eastern Orthodox (23%)
                      21.
                      Islam (23%)
                      22.
                      Orthodox Judaism (23%)
                      23.
                      Roman Catholic (23%)
                      24.
                      Seventh Day Adventist (20%)
                      25.
                      Jehovah's Witness (20%)
                      26.
                      Jainism (19%)
                      27.
                      Hinduism (17%)

                      --
                      William T Goodall
                      Mail : wtg@...

                      Maybe Windows is good for people who *think* they're geeks, but are
                      not very good at it.

                    • Jean-Louis Couturier
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 3 5:54 AM
                        2005/8/3, Russell Chapman <rchapman@...>:

                        > I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                        > Christian Protestants.
                        > According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                        > yet only 14% Catholic.
                        > In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Russell C.
                        > (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                        Don't forget that the results are skewed towards the opinions/prejudices
                        of the test's creator. Many of the possible answers looked to me like they
                        were there to differentiate between Protestant and Catholic, with the
                        Catholic answer being a typical Protestant caricature of our beliefs. (E.g.
                        the nature of the Trinity)

                        I didn't make it to the end of the questionnaire.
                        Jean-Louis
                      • Nick Lidster
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 3 8:01 AM
                          > I find it fascinating that Roman Catholocism is so remote from the
                          > Christian Protestants.
                          > According to mine, I am 98% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants,
                          > yet only 14% Catholic.
                          > In between is 30% Islam, 66% Buddhism, and 82% Neo-Pagan.
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Russell C.
                          > (Anglican married to a Catholic)

                          Don't forget that the results are skewed towards the opinions/prejudices
                          of the test's creator. Many of the possible answers looked to me like they
                          were there to differentiate between Protestant and Catholic, with the
                          Catholic answer being a typical Protestant caricature of our beliefs. (E.g.
                          the nature of the Trinity)

                          I didn't make it to the end of the questionnaire.
                          Jean-Louis

                          what was it... 3 4 pages? At 5 questions each.... Takes like 2 mins to do
                          it..... and you spout about how it was done... and how the questions were
                          geared, yet you never even finished it.

                          You must have done up to the 2nd page did ya?

                          Nick "neo pagan" Lidster

                          Hehehe im NEO.....

                        • Deborah Harrell
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 3 2:16 PM
                            > Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:

                            > Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that
                            > alleges to tell you
                            > which religions are more in line with your personal
                            > weltanschauung:
                            >
                            > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>
                            >
                            > I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):
                            >
                            > 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                            > 2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
                            > 3. Secular Humanism (92%)
                            > 4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
                            > 5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
                            > 6. Taoism (69%)
                            > 7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
                            > 8. Nontheist (65%)
                            > 9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
                            > 10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)...

                            Hey, there weren't any categories for heretics! ;)
                            I selected one sentence from each group below with
                            which I particularly agree.

                            Moi:
                            1. Liberal Quakers (100%)
                            The primary focus is nondogmatic: God is love,
                            love is eternal, and our actions in life should
                            reflect love for all of humanity.

                            2. Neo-Pagan (98%)
                            No human incarnations are worshipped in
                            particular, as all of nature and the universe are
                            considered embodiments of God and Goddess, or of gods
                            and goddesses, worthy of respect, reverence, or
                            worship.

                            3. Unitarian Universalism (96%)
                            Most believe that God is good and made people
                            inherently good but also with free will and an
                            imperfect nature that leads some to immoral behavior.

                            4. New Age (92%)
                            Most believe there are no particular incarnations
                            to worship, as all in the universe are embodiments of
                            God. [I actually _don't_ think of myself as a NewAger
                            at all, not going in for tarot or crystal-gazing, and
                            I _do_ believe that evil exists, though not as a
                            personal Devil.]

                            5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (83%)
                            Goodness will somehow be rewarded and evil
                            punished after death, but what is most important is
                            how you show your faith and conduct your life on
                            earth.

                            6. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
                            Buddha taught the middle path, moderation.

                            7. Reform Judaism (82%)
                            Salvation is achieved through faith and prayer to
                            God, good works, concern for the earth and humanity,
                            and behavior that does no harm to others.

                            8. Bahá'í Faith (78%)
                            “Hell” is the self-made torture of isolation from
                            God--spiritual death.

                            9. Secular Humanism (69%)
                            The scientific method is most respected as the
                            means for revealing the mysteries of the origins of
                            the universe and life.

                            10. Theravada Buddhism (67%)
                            People have free will to commit wrongs or rights.

                            So, other than the critical-mass NewAger, that's not
                            too far from my self-proclaimed (with recent revision)
                            belief system, I think...

                            Debbi
                            Heretic-Lutheran Gaian-Deist Maru

                          • Andrew Paul
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 3 7:48 PM
                              > [mailto:brin-l-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Deborah Harrell
                              > >
                              > > <http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>
                              > >
                              > > I got (1-9 don't surprise me much):
                              > >
                              > > 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                              > > 2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
                              > > 3. Secular Humanism (92%)
                              > > 4. Theravada Buddhism (88%)
                              > > 5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
                              > > 6. Taoism (69%)
                              > > 7. Neo-Pagan (66%)
                              > > 8. Nontheist (65%)
                              > > 9. Mahayana Buddhism (63%)
                              > > 10. Bahá'í Faith (56%)...

                              I got:

                              1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
                              2. Liberal Quakers (87%)
                              3. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (86%)
                              4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (84%)
                              5. New Age (80%)
                              6. Neo-Pagan (79%)
                              7. New Thought (76%)
                              8. Secular Humanism (73%)
                              9. Scientology (72%)
                              10. Mahayana Buddhism (69%)
                              11. Taoism (62%)
                              12. Theravada Buddhism (62%)

                              Thank you for the summaries :)

                              Still think I am a Taoist Maru

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 3 8:14 PM
                                Oy vey, it thinks I'm Jewish. :-)

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 3 10:49 PM
                                  At 10:14 PM Wednesday 8/3/2005, Dan Minette wrote:
                                  >Oy vey, it thinks I'm Jewish. :-)

                                  Sometimes any possible response would come up a bit short . . .

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 3 11:02 PM
                                    At 06:59 PM Tuesday 8/2/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                                    >Apropos of nothing specific, here's a quiz that alleges to tell you which
                                    >religions are more in line with your personal weltanschauung:
                                    >
                                    ><http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html>

                                    Heck, I'm not even sure I'm on the right planet!

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 6 6:45 AM
                                      On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                      > There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people waiting
                                      > for someone to be inspired to say something.

                                      One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                    • Warren Ockrassa
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 6 6:49 AM
                                        On Aug 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:

                                        > On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                        >> There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people
                                        >> waiting
                                        >> for someone to be inspired to say something.
                                        >
                                        > One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...

                                        Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?

                                        When?

                                        --
                                        Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
                                        http://books.nightwares.com/
                                        Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
                                        http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf

                                      • Matthew and Julie Bos
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 6 10:39 AM
                                          On 8/6/05 9:49 AM, "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...> wrote:

                                          > On Aug 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> On 8/2/05 11:56 PM, "Julia Thompson" <julia@...> wrote:
                                          >>> There's something peaceful about being in a room full of people
                                          >>> waiting
                                          >>> for someone to be inspired to say something.
                                          >>
                                          >> One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                          >
                                          > Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?
                                          >
                                          > When?

                                          We are never silent as a list, but people tend to post here when they are
                                          inspired. Inspired posts are always my favorite. Like Gautam's take on
                                          Harry Potter's latest adventure and his actions as a hero. Good stuff to
                                          think on being a dad and all.

                                          Right now, I can only listen, as I spend most of my summer away from home on
                                          business. I have to get back to yardwork, as I can't do it during the week.

                                          Arizona is no summer vacation!
                                          Matthew Bos
                                        • Warren Ockrassa
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 6 12:26 PM
                                            On Aug 6, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Matthew and Julie Bos wrote:

                                            > On 8/6/05 9:49 AM, "Warren Ockrassa" <warren@...> wrote:

                                            >>> One of the nice benefits of Brin-L by the way...
                                            >>
                                            >> Wait. Are you saying this list becomes silent?
                                            >>
                                            >> When?
                                            >
                                            > We are never silent as a list, but people tend to post here when they
                                            > are
                                            > inspired.

                                            Ah, I see -- a common mistake. The word you want is *insipid*, not
                                            inspired.

                                            :D

                                            > Arizona is no summer vacation!

                                            It is for the millions who only come here to visit, especially in
                                            December. ;)