Re: Gulags

    Message 1 of 76 , Aug 2, 2005
      On Aug 2, 2005, at 3:35 PM, William T Goodall wrote:

      > I don't think it's easily eradicated. I didn't say that. I said, and
      > you
      > quoted it, that 'religion is one of the easiest causes of evil to
      > eradicate.'

      True.

      > Eradicating religion isn't an easy project, but it is easier than
      > changing human nature or one of the other hard to eradicate causes of
      > evil.

      You formerly held that "religion is evil and should be eradicated." You
      now seem believe that religion is merely a cause of evil. Is that
      progress, or are they about the same thing in your mind?

      The fact is, I think we will always have to contend with evil. Learning
      to live in a world that contains things that hurt us (gravity, storms,
      poisonous plants, certain forms of religion, certain forms of atheism)
      is one of the major purposes of life.

    • Gary Denton
      Message 76 of 76 , Aug 4, 2005
        On 8/4/05, Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:
        > On Aug 4, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Gary Denton wrote:
        >
        > > There have been several recent articles about how it is obvious that
        > > humans are obviously not the object of Intelligent Design. Human
        > > heads are too big for a significant proportion of mothers and many
        > > other things.
        >
        > One obvious case in point is eyes. They're extremely poorly engineered;
        > actually only an incompetent moron could come up with a worse optical
        > design. (And actually, *untrained* but reasonably intelligent high
        > school students could come up with BETTER designs.) This suggests the
        > "intelligent designer" is a complete cretin.

        There are many different designs for eyes in the living world showing
        that optical sight is a big advantage in surviving to reproduce. The
        branch humans developed on was not the optimal design but like most
        things was good enough.

        > Teeth are another one. There are many many other ways to develop
        > choppers that are *not* prone to cavities.

        Can't help you there at this time though someone might like to examine
        my genes - I am immune to cavities. Can I auction my genetic makeup,
        teeth design and biochemical balance in my mouth off I wonder?

        > And cancer? Guess what: it develops *spontaneously*. That's shoddy
        > workmanship in the DNA itself. Designed? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

        Cancer has triggers and different likelihoods of response.

        > Only idiots like Bush but into this crap.

        Bush contradicted his own science adviser.

        > --
        > Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
        > http://books.nightwares.com/
        > Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
        > http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf
        \--
        Gary Denton
        http://www.apollocon.org June 23-25, 2006