Re: Gulags

    Message 1 of 76 , Aug 2 3:21 PM
      On Aug 2, 2005, at 11:05 AM, William T Goodall wrote:

      > I don't suggest that. But I do think that religion is one of the
      > easiest
      > causes of evil to eradicate.

      Which is why tyrants throughout the centuries have had so much luck
      doing so?

      I think you'll find that it is only in your narrow little "I hate
      religion and you should, too" view of the world that religion is easy to
      eradicate. Call it charlatanry, foolishness, stupidity or whatever
      insult you may want to hurl at it, but the persistence of religious
      belief across virtually every society in the history of the world
      suggests that your belief that religion can be easily eradicated puts
      you in a miniscule minority.

    • Gary Denton
      Message 76 of 76 , Aug 4 11:04 AM
        On 8/4/05, Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:
        > On Aug 4, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Gary Denton wrote:
        >
        > > There have been several recent articles about how it is obvious that
        > > humans are obviously not the object of Intelligent Design. Human
        > > heads are too big for a significant proportion of mothers and many
        > > other things.
        >
        > One obvious case in point is eyes. They're extremely poorly engineered;
        > actually only an incompetent moron could come up with a worse optical
        > design. (And actually, *untrained* but reasonably intelligent high
        > school students could come up with BETTER designs.) This suggests the
        > "intelligent designer" is a complete cretin.

        There are many different designs for eyes in the living world showing
        that optical sight is a big advantage in surviving to reproduce. The
        branch humans developed on was not the optimal design but like most
        things was good enough.

        > Teeth are another one. There are many many other ways to develop
        > choppers that are *not* prone to cavities.

        Can't help you there at this time though someone might like to examine
        my genes - I am immune to cavities. Can I auction my genetic makeup,
        teeth design and biochemical balance in my mouth off I wonder?

        > And cancer? Guess what: it develops *spontaneously*. That's shoddy
        > workmanship in the DNA itself. Designed? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

        Cancer has triggers and different likelihoods of response.

        > Only idiots like Bush but into this crap.

        Bush contradicted his own science adviser.

        > --
        > Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
        > http://books.nightwares.com/
        > Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
        > http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf
        \--
        Gary Denton
        http://www.apollocon.org June 23-25, 2006