Fwd: Top5 Science - 8/2/05

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2005
      TOPFIVE.COM'S LITTLE FIVERS -- SCIENCE
      http://www.topfive.com/fivers.shtml

      August 2, 2005

      NOTE FROM LARRY:

      A space elevator would travel up a cable to a big
      weight in geostationary orbit, basically a
      36-megameter skyhook (spaceelevator.com).
      Leave NASA and companies to figure out the technical details;
      we have something more important to settle before
      the first bell dings and the space Muzak begins:

      The Top 9 Rules of Space Elevator Etiquette

      9> Under no circumstances shall your tentacles "accidentally
      touch" other creatures, no matter how crowded the elevator is.

      8> Curling up in a ball, shaking and sobbing are all perfectly
      acceptable. (Clear glass elevators only.)

      7> While some people may appreciate the irony, humming "Stairway
      to Heaven" is stictly forbidden.

      6> Action-movie makers shall not shoot nail-biting,
      adrenalin-rushing, 10-minute-long falling elevator scenes.

      5> It's considered rude to keep your gold solar visor on while
      inside the cabin.

      4> When entering free fall, ladies vomit on the left, gentlemen
      on the right.

      3> Pushing the buttons for all the layers of the atmosphere is
      very rude.

      2> Fer cryin' out loud, if you're going all the way to
      geostationary orbit, step to the BACK of the elevator.

      and the Number 1 Rule of Space Elevator Etiquette...

      1> If you are only going to low Earth orbit, use the space stairs
      instead.

      [ Copyright 2005 by Chris White ]
      [ http://www.topfive.com ]

      Selected from 34 submissions from 7 contributors.
      This week's list authors are:
      James Knowles, Bellingham, WA -- 1, 4
      Nancy Vaine, Fairfield, CT -- 2, 8
      Rabbi Crut, Bowling Green, OH -- 3, 7
      D. Joseph Creighton, Winnipeg, MB -- 5
      Gideon Griebenow, Potchefstroom, S. Africa -- 6, 9
      Larry Baum, Hong Kong -- List Moderator

      Rules of Space Elevator Etiquette
      RUNNERS UP list -- What a Gas

      No flatus propulsion in the elevator cabin while under low-G.
      (D. Joseph Creighton, Winnipeg, MB)

      Please refrain from eating beans or burritos 45 minutes before
      boarding the elevator.
      (Matthew Van Opens, Kenosha, WI)

      No flatulation! Use other propellants, please.
      (D. Joseph Creighton, Winnipeg, MB)

      ABSOLUTELY no farting.
      (Matthew Van Opens, Kenosha, WI)

      Unlike when in a normal elevator, you can fart all you want, provided
      your pressure suit is sealed.
      (James Knowles, Bellingham, WA)

      [ TOPFIVE.COM'S LITTLE FIVERS ]
      [ "Top 10" lists on a variety of subjects ]
      [ http://www.topfive.com ]
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2005
        Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
        > TOPFIVE.COM'S LITTLE FIVERS -- SCIENCE
        > http://www.topfive.com/fivers.shtml
        >
        > and the Number 1 Rule of Space Elevator Etiquette...
        >

        > 1> If you are only going to low Earth orbit, use the space stairs
        > instead.

        Having lived on the 11th floor of a 14-story dorm, I can really
        appreciate this.

        LEO is a little high, though -- is there a space escalator? :)