Re: Gulags

    Message 1 of 76 , Aug 1, 2005
      William wrote:

      > My own take on this is that a country that is more religious than the
      > UK is bound to exhibit more depraved and bestial behaviours across the
      > board - more murder, more rape and so on. A country mired in
      > primitive religious superstition is hardly likely to shine on respect
      > for human rights.

      IMO, if they started putting the white collar criminals in with the rest
      instead of in country club prisons it might provide incentive to change a
      few things.

    • Gary Denton
      Message 76 of 76 , Aug 4, 2005
        On 8/4/05, Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:
        > On Aug 4, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Gary Denton wrote:
        >
        > > There have been several recent articles about how it is obvious that
        > > humans are obviously not the object of Intelligent Design. Human
        > > heads are too big for a significant proportion of mothers and many
        > > other things.
        >
        > One obvious case in point is eyes. They're extremely poorly engineered;
        > actually only an incompetent moron could come up with a worse optical
        > design. (And actually, *untrained* but reasonably intelligent high
        > school students could come up with BETTER designs.) This suggests the
        > "intelligent designer" is a complete cretin.

        There are many different designs for eyes in the living world showing
        that optical sight is a big advantage in surviving to reproduce. The
        branch humans developed on was not the optimal design but like most
        things was good enough.

        > Teeth are another one. There are many many other ways to develop
        > choppers that are *not* prone to cavities.

        Can't help you there at this time though someone might like to examine
        my genes - I am immune to cavities. Can I auction my genetic makeup,
        teeth design and biochemical balance in my mouth off I wonder?

        > And cancer? Guess what: it develops *spontaneously*. That's shoddy
        > workmanship in the DNA itself. Designed? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

        Cancer has triggers and different likelihoods of response.

        > Only idiots like Bush but into this crap.

        Bush contradicted his own science adviser.

        > --
        > Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
        > http://books.nightwares.com/
        > Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
        > http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf
        \--
        Gary Denton
        http://www.apollocon.org June 23-25, 2006