SCOUTED: War on Terror: RIP

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      Folks,

      George Lakoff, cognitive psychologist, linguist and leading light in the
      science of "framing" debates, notes a change in the language that the
      Bush administration is using to describe what it now terms the "global
      struggle against violent extremism."

      A key point:

      "... [D]ropping the [term] "war" while addressing the public
      will result in a shift in thinking in the public mind: If the
      war frame is not evoked in the public mind, the failure of the
      president's war policy will be less visible."

      When it was a "war," it justified the President's tough-guy stance,
      appeals to patriotism, practically unlimited resources and so on. Now
      that it's a "struggle," there's no specific mission to accomplish, so
      the failure to accomplish any specific mission is no big thing.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
        At 03:44 PM Monday 8/1/2005, Dave Land wrote:
        >Folks,
        >
        >George Lakoff, cognitive psychologist, linguist and leading light in the
        >science of "framing" debates, notes a change in the language that the
        >Bush administration is using to describe what it now terms the "global
        >struggle against violent extremism."
        >
        >A key point:
        >
        > "... [D]ropping the [term] "war" while addressing the public
        > will result in a shift in thinking in the public mind: If the
        > war frame is not evoked in the public mind, the failure of the
        > president's war policy will be less visible."
        >
        >When it was a "war," it justified the President's tough-guy stance,
        >appeals to patriotism, practically unlimited resources and so on. Now
        >that it's a "struggle," there's no specific mission to accomplish, so
        >the failure to accomplish any specific mission is no big thing.

        And the new acronym doesn't set off p_rn filters, either . . .

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
          On Aug 1, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

          > At 03:44 PM Monday 8/1/2005, Dave Land wrote:
          >> George Lakoff, cognitive psychologist, linguist and leading light in
          >> the
          >> science of "framing" debates, notes a change in the language that the
          >> Bush administration is using to describe what it now terms the "global
          >> struggle against violent extremism."
          > And the new acronym doesn't set off p_rn filters, either . . .

          No, and as someone on the Alternet discussion has noted, the acronym is
          "Global SAVE." And it wasn't "The War Against Terrorism" was it?

          Better still is the fact that "struggle" translates into "jihad."

        • Ritu
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
            Dave Land wrote:

            > >> George Lakoff, cognitive psychologist, linguist and
            > leading light in
            > >> the
            > >> science of "framing" debates, notes a change in the
            > language that the
            > >> Bush administration is using to describe what it now terms
            > the "global
            > >> struggle against violent extremism."
            > > And the new acronym doesn't set off p_rn filters, either . . .
            >
            > No, and as someone on the Alternet discussion has noted, the
            > acronym is
            > "Global SAVE." And it wasn't "The War Against Terrorism" was it?
            >
            > Better still is the fact that "struggle" translates into "jihad."

            I like the idea of a Global jihad against the international fasadis. :)

            Ritu

          • Gary Denton
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
              Of course, now the Prez is back to calling it the War against Terror.

              Doesn't matter, I expect to hear about troop withdrawals before the
              midterm elections, everything with Cheney&Co. is politics and Rove if
              not indicted will devote all policies toward supporting the GOP in
              Congress.

              --
              Gary Denton
              http://www.apollocon.org June 23-25, 2006

              Easter Lemming Blogs
              http://elemming.blogspot.com
              http://elemming2.blogspot.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                On Aug 4, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Gary Denton wrote:

                > Of course, now the Prez is back to calling it the War against Terror.

                That's a little surprising to me, because despite his linguistic
                disabilities, he seems to be pretty good message discipline. Maybe
                they decided not to change the term, after all.

                We'll see.

              • Warren Ockrassa
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                  On Aug 4, 2005, at 1:52 PM, Dave Land wrote:

                  > On Aug 4, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Gary Denton wrote:
                  >
                  >> Of course, now the Prez is back to calling it the War against Terror.
                  >
                  > That's a little surprising to me, because despite his linguistic
                  > disabilities, he seems to be pretty good message discipline. Maybe
                  > they decided not to change the term, after all.

                  They may have realized that the "liberal" media recognized what they
                  were trying to do and called them on it, and for once decide NOT to try
                  to pull a fast one.

                  (Holy shit, even I don't believe that.)

                  --
                  Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
                  http://books.nightwares.com/

                • Gary Denton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
                    The Daily Show had the perfect call out on Bush on that with reporting
                    from Times Square that the "War on Terror" had been won.