Re: space shuttle obsolete

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
      On Jul 31, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Dan Minette wrote:

      > While the power/weight
      > ratio is wonderful, the efficiency is worse than a conventional engine.

      > If things go well, they would probably have a good battery substitute
      > for
      > military use in about 4-5 years.

      Which, I think, is the point -- it doesn't have to be as efficient as a
      conventional engine, it only has to be more efficient than a battery.

      Which reminds me of the old joke, you don't have to be faster than the
      bear, just faster than your companions.

      Dave "Bomb squad: If I'm running, try to keep up" Land