Deep Impact: 27 hrs, 20 min

  • Gary Nunn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2005
      I plan on trying to see this with my telescope, but it will be so low on the
      horizon, I may not find somewhere to set up with an unobstructed view.

      However, much like televised professional sports, I will get infinitely
      better images online and on TV. :-(

      ~ Gary

      - - - - - - - - -

      NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft continues to sail through its final checkout,
      as it hurtles toward comet Tempel 1. Impact with the comet is scheduled for
      1:52 a.m. EDT, July 4 (10:52 p.m. PDT, July 3).

      Countdown timer....
      http://www.space.com/deepimpact/

      How to find the Temple 1 comet....
      http://deepimpact.umd.edu/amateur/

      Deep Impact Mission Homepage...
      http://deepimpact.umd.edu/home/index.html
      http://tinyurl.com/83ktg

      Watch Deep Impact online....
      http://www.planetary.org/deepimpact/di_web.html
      http://tinyurl.com/b6ow3

      Deep Impact timeline....
      http://www.planetary.org/news/2005/di_timeline_0630.html
      http://tinyurl.com/cw3o5

      Expected impact time by timezone....

      Location Local Time of Impact
      New York City, New York 1:52 am EDT 4 July
      Los Angeles, California 10:52 pm PDT 3 July
      Honolulu, Hawaii 7:52 pm HT 3 July
      Wellington, New Zealand 5:52 pm 4 July
      Canberra, Australia 3:52 pm 4 July (AEST)
      Perth, Australia 1:52 pm 4 July (AWST)
      Beijing, China 1:52 pm 4 July
      New Delhi, India 11:22 am 4 July
      Baghdad, Iraq 9:52 am 4 July
      Vienna, Austria 7:52 am 4 July (CEST)
      London, England 6:52 am 4 July (BST)

      Deep Impact Mission Events
      Earth-receive time (in PDT)
      July 2, 11:07 p.m: Impactor released into comet's path
      July 3, 9:21 p.m.: 1st impactor targeting maneuver
      July 3, 10:17 p.m.: 2nd impactor targeting maneuver
      July 3, 10:39 p.m.: 3rd impactor targeting maneuver
      July 3, 10:52 p.m.: (+ or - 3 min.): Impact with Tempel 1
      July 3, 11:05 p.m.: Flyby goes into shield mode
      July 3, 11:06 p.m.: Flyby's closest approach to Tempel 1
      Watch webcast of these events: (all times PDT)
      Pre-impact update:July 3, 11 a.m.
      NASA TV encounter coverage:July 3, 8:30 p.m.
      Expected time of impact:July 3, 10:52 p.m.
      Post-impact briefing:July 4, 1 a.m.
      Post-impact press conference:July 4, 11 a.m.