Glyph and Glyphability. Need Python reference.

  • Medievalbk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
      Our good Dr. Brin says for me to write, so I keep writing.

      For Wazoon Two-step, the story set in Washington DC the year the Thennanin
      come to Earth, (two years before Streaker gets back) the Tytlal will be putting
      on a comedy review at the Uplift Center. (Can't use a historic theater as
      the Thennanin wouldn't fit in the seats.)

      I want the Tytlal to do the Monty Python sketch that explains the humor of
      cream pies.

      But I don't remember which tape (if many) it is.

      Any help?

      The Tytlal, of course, add the one thing missing from the Python sketch.

      As they march off the stage a giant 15 meter cream pie drops onto the stage.

      Towels, with a big 42 printed on them, will be provided for the guests.

      Vilyehm

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
        William Taylor wrote:

        > For Wazoon Two-step, the story set in Washington DC the year the Thennanin
        > come to Earth, (two years before Streaker gets back) the Tytlal will be
        > putting on a comedy review at the Uplift Center. (Can't use a historic
        > theater as the Thennanin wouldn't fit in the seats.)

        Let me suggest a character for you: a Thennanin ambassador who
        tells jokes and practices humorous things.

        But he does it not by instinct or a natural drive: he does it professionally,
        by hiring a staff of humorists to train him to react in precise ways to
        events that would otherwise not cause any reaction.

        His staff would carefully write jokes [with Galactic races as comedy
        sidekicks] that he would loose whenever the situation comes, but he
        would absolutely miss anything that is not expected.

        He would also overact the humourless Thennanin stereotype, but he
        would it do it clumsily, without a precise timing.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2005
          In a message dated 7/3/2005 7:14:53 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
          albmont@... writes:

          Let me suggest a character for you: a Thennanin ambassador who
          tells jokes and practices humorous things.

          But he does it not by instinct or a natural drive: he does it professionally,
          by hiring a staff of humorists to train him to react in precise ways to
          events that would otherwise not cause any reaction.

          His staff would carefully write jokes [with Galactic races as comedy
          sidekicks] that he would loose whenever the situation comes, but he
          would absolutely miss anything that is not expected.

          He would also overact the humourless Thennanin stereotype, but he
          would it do it clumsily, without a precise timing.

          Alberto Monteiro

          Not HE but SHE.

          A Margaret Dumont to a bunch of Tytlal marxists.

          >From what I know of future events, this would best be chronologically placed
          after Streaker gets to Earth, but before Gillian, I think, leaves to search
          for Tom.

          After the Krondesfire is placed in LaPaz.

          In Wazoon Two-step, it's the Synthian Ambassador who regularly buys jokes
          from the Tytlal, not always understanding what it all means.

          The Gubru, or at least _some_ Gubru, are going to understand humor before
          the Thenannin do.

          In the Tytlal play, Glyph and Glyphability, a sort of 'Me Tarzan, You Jane'
          ostentatious satire of Earclan's situation, holographic glyphs will be
          superimposed over the heads of the tytlal for those in the audience who have their
          heads stuck up their assumed reality.

          I still could use that Python reference.

          Vilyehm

        • Warren Ockrassa
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
            On Jul 2, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

            > I want the Tytlal to do the Monty Python sketch that explains the
            > humor of
            > cream pies.
            >

            > But I don't remember which tape (if many) it is.

            TTBOMK there isn't one. That is, if you want to have cream pies
            demonstrated as funny, you won't find a Python routine that uses cream
            pies, either en phiz or in any other venue. I don't think in their
            decades-long run that the Pythons have ever used cream pies. (Though I
            could be wrong! π in the face that would be, indeed!)

            Consider instead either the Fish-Slap Dance or the Cheese Shop Sketch.
            (The former had Eric Idle [or possibly Terry Jones] dancing up to John
            Cleese, slapping him in the face with tiny fishes, and then dancing
            back, up, slap, back, repeat, all by a canal -- and then Cleese taking
            out a whopping huge fish and punting Idle into the canal with it. Took
            about ten seconds of film, and was hilarious. The Cheese Shop sketch
            was funny at least in part because of the way many many types of cheese
            were enumerated in the sketch.)

            Extra points for the Dead Parrot sketch and/or the Silly Walk sketch.
            Maybe, in fact, a juxtaposition would work to your ends -- one type of
            sketch that uses physical humor versus another that uses puns, wry
            asides, etc., performed by the same people. "Why is it that when these
            people perform wordless violence it is funny … and yet, when the same
            people speak and nothing violent happens, it is funny…?"

            --
            Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
            http://books.nightwares.com/

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
              In a message dated 7/4/2005 8:33:42 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
              warren@... writes:

              TTBOMK there isn't one. That is, if you want to have cream pies
              demonstrated as funny, you won't find a Python routine that uses cream
              pies, either en phiz or in any other venue. I don't think in their
              decades-long run that the Pythons have ever used cream pies. (Though I
              could be wrong! ¹ in the face that would be, indeed!)

              I finally found it by changing my search. Cream pie sketch was zip.

              It was The Humour Sketch, done Live at the Hollywood Bowl. The
              entire routine which starts with banana peels is on the net. I knew
              it existed cuz I saw it, but did not know how to find it again.

              Now the Silly Walk sketch cannot be done very well by the Tytlal
              as they all look like Toulouse Lautrec, their legs being half the
              length of their arms.

              I now need some math experts.

              What would be the total weight of an eighteen meter diameter
              cream pie? No tin.

              The force of the blow when dropped from a three story height?

              The estimated splash radius?

              Tytlal can distend, dislocate, or compact their bones at will. They
              can take it.

              Vilyehm

            • Warren Ockrassa
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
                On Jul 4, 2005, at 9:26 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

                > I finally found it by changing my search. Cream pie sketch was zip.

                OK, so I'm not senile just yet. ;)

                > What would be the total weight of an eighteen meter diameter
                > cream pie? No tin.

                Depth?

                If we go rule of thumb and figure a pie to be about 1/6 its diameter
                for depth, we're looking at 3m or so for the depth of the pie. So we
                have something that occupies perhaps πr^2 * h for the volume, or about
                900 cubic meters of volume. If one cubic decimeter of water weighs a
                kilo, and if a cream pie volume-for-volume weighs about the same as
                water, we're looking at a pie that weighs nearly 10 million kilos (
                1000*900 ).

                > The force of the blow when dropped from a three story height?

                Depends on the depth of the pie, assumes earth normal gravity, etc.
                Figuring a 10m drop, the pie at 18m diameter likely won't have achieved
                terminal velocity, so its impact wouldn't give optimal splash. However,
                those near the impact point would necessarily be swept off their feet
                by the blow of the spreading mass.

                As for how it feels -- imagine lifting a combat tank 3 stories up and
                dropping it. Heavy thud. It wouldn't knock anyone of his feet, but it
                would possibly dislocate doors and windows in immediate ( = within a
                few meters) buildings, set off car alarms, make dogs bark, etc.

                > The estimated splash radius?

                Big. For an 18m pie, off the cuff, figure about 7m for the residue
                assuming a short drop. That's kind of a mass --> energy conversion and
                is frankly beyond *my* reach to work out. But if you were to drop such
                a thing in, say, the middle of a soccer field, the goals might just get
                hit, while the sidelines would probably be soaked, and the Scots would,
                of course, riot. (D'you have any idea how hard it is to get cream pie
                out of a good kilt? Begorrah!)

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
                  In a message dated 7/4/2005 9:57:41 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                  warren@... writes:

                  and the Scots would,
                  of course, riot.

                  Damn, I understand this reference. Although it was a hurling match in
                  Ireland I was at once.

                  All the cheap seats are being the goals, where, in fact, there are no seats.

                  Oh, the tickets gave warning to only wear washable outfits, but did not say
                  why. Ambassador Cray thought it might have been something as bad as Gallager
                  meets Topo Gigo.

                  Now remember, this is Earth just after the Thennanin arrive, but before the
                  siege starts up again. Everyone is on edge, and a little humor will go a long
                  way.

                  Eight meters, hmmm. That'd reach the Thennanin Ambassador's box. Maybe poor
                  old Bouolt will be with him as well.

                  The lone Gubru will be in a top row box. SHE won't get hit.

                  Ah, back to writing it all down.....

                  Vilyehm
                • Warren Ockrassa
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
                    On Jul 4, 2005, at 10:16 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

                    > Eight meters, hmmm. That'd reach the Thennanin Ambassador's box. Maybe
                    > poor
                    > old Bouolt will be with him as well.
                    >
                    > The lone Gubru will be in a top row box. SHE won't get hit.

                    Don't forget that stadiums tend to have a bowl shape, so boxes or seats
                    near center field will be splashed *higher* as well as deeper.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
                      In a message dated 7/4/2005 10:24:39 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                      warren@... writes:

                      Don't forget that stadiums tend to have a bowl shape, so boxes or seats
                      near center field will be splashed *higher* as well as deeper.

                      Actually, it's an opera house. Nothing that currently exists in Washington
                      D.C.

                      The one thing about a city open to Galactics is that there's no such thing
                      as permanent seating. The Gubru use perches. The Thennanin have tails and so
                      use backward chairs with forward rests to let them groom their crests.If there
                      were Hoon there, they'd have slightly rounded cushions as they lock their
                      legs into a tripod. And the back spines would literally tear up a chipendale.

                      I figure two meters of stage, two meters orchastra pit. So the first four
                      meters of seating would be getting the tsunami. Tytlal, Tymbrimi, and Human--all
                      officials.

                      Vilyehm
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                        Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                        > On Jul 4, 2005, at 9:26 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:
                        >
                        >> I finally found it by changing my search. Cream pie sketch was zip.
                        >

                        > OK, so I'm not senile just yet. ;)
                        >
                        >> What would be the total weight of an eighteen meter diameter
                        >> cream pie? No tin.
                        >

                        > Depth?
                        >
                        > If we go rule of thumb and figure a pie to be about 1/6 its diameter for
                        > depth, we're looking at 3m or so for the depth of the pie. So we have
                        > something that occupies perhaps πr^2 * h for the volume, or about 900
                        > cubic meters of volume. If one cubic decimeter of water weighs a kilo,
                        > and if a cream pie volume-for-volume weighs about the same as water,
                        > we're looking at a pie that weighs nearly 10 million kilos ( 1000*900 ).

                        Cream pie has a noticeably lower density than water.

                        Am I going to have to go to Marie Callender's later this week to buy
                        some for the purpose of determining density? :)

                      • Robert J. Chassell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                          Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote,

                          Cream pie has a noticeably lower density than water.

                          Am I going to have to go to Marie Callender's later this week to
                          buy some for the purpose of determining density? :)

                          Certainly. My guess is that its density is a fifth that of water.

                          While you have the pie uneaten, please consider sacrificing a dollop
                          by dropping a spoonful from a known height and measuring its splash
                          radius.

                          This should fascinate the kids: this is how Mommy makes a mess ...

                          She does lots of measuring ...

                          * Measure the size of the dollop, say 2 cm across,

                          * drop it from a known and measured height, say 1 meter, onto a hard
                          and cleanable floor, such as the kitchen floor, and then

                          * measure the splat radius (max, min, and roughly, what it is on
                          average).

                          Perhaps you can ask if one of the kids wants to wipe up after ...

                          Then tell us

                          Of course, many will argue that you cannot extrapolate from a single
                          dollop and that you should drop various sized dollops from various
                          heights, so we can extrapolate from a proper equation. But I think a
                          cream pie should be eaten ...

                          --
                          Robert J. Chassell
                          bob@... GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 5, 2005
                            Robert J. Chassell wrote:
                            > Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote,
                            >
                            > Cream pie has a noticeably lower density than water.
                            >
                            > Am I going to have to go to Marie Callender's later this week to
                            > buy some for the purpose of determining density? :)
                            >
                            > Certainly. My guess is that its density is a fifth that of water.
                            >
                            > While you have the pie uneaten, please consider sacrificing a dollop
                            > by dropping a spoonful from a known height and measuring its splash
                            > radius.
                            >
                            > This should fascinate the kids: this is how Mommy makes a mess ...

                            You make it sound so fun! :)

                            > She does lots of measuring ...
                            >
                            > * Measure the size of the dollop, say 2 cm across,
                            >
                            > * drop it from a known and measured height, say 1 meter, onto a hard
                            > and cleanable floor, such as the kitchen floor, and then

                            Plenty of hard and cleanable floor *away* from the area of carpet
                            professionally cleaned this morning. Breakfast nook is farther from the
                            dining room, but furniture might need to be moved before or cleaned
                            afterwards.

                            > * measure the splat radius (max, min, and roughly, what it is on
                            > average).
                            >
                            > Perhaps you can ask if one of the kids wants to wipe up after ...

                            Well, I'd do an initial wipe to get up what could be got up easily, and
                            after that, well, that's one of the reasons we have a dog. :) (She
                            loves having 2 toddlers in the house, especially when they're eating
                            meat -- or, in Catherine's case, not finishing meat and flinging it on
                            to the floor.)

                            > Then tell us
                            >
                            > Of course, many will argue that you cannot extrapolate from a single
                            > dollop and that you should drop various sized dollops from various
                            > heights, so we can extrapolate from a proper equation. But I think a
                            > cream pie should be eaten ...

                            Yes. But just a few dollops won't totally use up the pie.

                          • Warren Ockrassa
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
                              On Jul 5, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Julia Thompson wrote:

                              > Cream pie has a noticeably lower density than water.

                              Depends how well it's made. ;) I was just freewheeling there, of
                              course; I'm sure a cream pie would float.

                              > Am I going to have to go to Marie Callender's later this week to buy
                              > some for the purpose of determining density? :)

                              Yes. Deal with it.