Fundamentalism (Re: The disease of the mind)

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 27, 2005
      On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:15:30 -0700, Warren Ockrassa wrote
      > On Jun 26, 2005, at 10:07 PM, I wrote:
      >
      > > To me the whole of physics, biology, geology and paleontology, if one
      > > believes in a deity, shows a delight in chance, interbeing and
      > > intricacy that is much more like Job's whirlwind than the Mosaic
      > > hard-willed ideal.
      >
      > Hmm. Is fundamentalist religion Narcissism?

      There is no doubt in my mind that it is. My working definition of
      fundamentalism (about anything) is that it is a self-delusion that I
      understand it completely; no change is possible that would require
      reinterpretation. It is the mistaken assumption that if I know some words
      that describe my belief, then I have completely and perfectly described an
      unchanging truth.

      For example, "Capitalism is the best economic system people can adopt" is a
      form of fundamentalism, IMO, because it rules out the possibility of greater
      understanding. Stop learning or growing now -- we've figured it out!

      It is a frozen understanding that ignores Important Fact No. 1 about God --
      I'm not it.

      Nick Arnett
      narnett@...
      Voicemail: 408-904-7198