Gulags

  • Gary Denton
    Message 1 of 76 , Jun 9, 2005
      Dr. Cole is right.

      > The main reason is that the Bush Administration established the prison at
      > Guantanamo in hopes of gutting the Bill of Rights. They wanted the prisoners
      > there to be beyond the law, outside the framework of judiciality. They would
      > have no lawyers. They would be tried only if the administration wanted to
      > try them. They would be held indefinitely. They would be outside the
      > framework of US law and also of the Geneval Conventions-- though Rumsfeld
      > keeps slipping and calling them prisoners of war.
      >
      > Terrorists are dirty criminals who should be tried, and if found guilty,
      > put away for life. Terrorists are criminals. They are not non-human, and any
      > attempt to create a category of human beings to whom the protections of the
      > law do not apply is an attempt to undermine the Republic. It is a *return
      > of the Bill of Attainder* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_attainder>,
      > a feature of absolute monarchy that the Founding Fathers stood against. It
      > is something to which *even Rehnquist is opposed.*<http://www.techlawjournal.com/glossary/legal/attainder.htm>
      >
      > Once it was established that these Muslims could be treated in this way,
      > Bush would be a sort of absolute monarch over all such detainees (remember
      > that some of them might be innocent for all we know) And then gradually
      > others could be added to the category of the "rights-less." The Patriot Act
      > II envisages stripping Americans of their citizenship for supporting
      > terrorist organizations. Without citizenship, they would not be afforded the
      > protections of the Constitution. And gradually, in this way, the American
      > nationalist Right would be able to circumscribe that pesky Bill of Rights,
      > which so interferes with Executive (i.e. Royal) Privilege. The legal minds
      > on the American Right have clearly been annoyed with the Bill of Rights for
      > some time and the speed with which they foisted the so-called PATRIOT Act
      > (makes it kinda hard to oppose, calling it that, huh?) on an unwary
      > Congress, which had no time to read it, suggests that they had a lot of
      > these ideas on the shelf ready to go.
      >
      > Guantanamo Prison should be closed because it was conceived as the
      > beginning of the end of the American Republic.

      http://www.juancole.com/2005/06/quran-splashed-with-urine-at.html
      Why would REAL AMERICANS support the Patriot Act, taking away our freedoms -
      our liberties, unless they were scared s**tless and knew that never in a
      million years would it apply to them or their friends.
      9/11 changed nothing. There have always been fanatics of all stripes. There
      have always been those who want to take away our freedoms and make a few
      dollars on the side. Just for a little while they were able to take
      advantage of a greater number of scared s**tless people demanding protection
      from those different-skinned, different-beliefs, others.

      -- Gary Denton
      Easter Lemming Blogs
      http://elemming.blogspot.com
      http://elemming2.blogspot.com
    • Gary Denton
      Message 76 of 76 , Aug 4, 2005
        On 8/4/05, Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:
        > On Aug 4, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Gary Denton wrote:
        >
        > > There have been several recent articles about how it is obvious that
        > > humans are obviously not the object of Intelligent Design. Human
        > > heads are too big for a significant proportion of mothers and many
        > > other things.
        >
        > One obvious case in point is eyes. They're extremely poorly engineered;
        > actually only an incompetent moron could come up with a worse optical
        > design. (And actually, *untrained* but reasonably intelligent high
        > school students could come up with BETTER designs.) This suggests the
        > "intelligent designer" is a complete cretin.

        There are many different designs for eyes in the living world showing
        that optical sight is a big advantage in surviving to reproduce. The
        branch humans developed on was not the optimal design but like most
        things was good enough.

        > Teeth are another one. There are many many other ways to develop
        > choppers that are *not* prone to cavities.

        Can't help you there at this time though someone might like to examine
        my genes - I am immune to cavities. Can I auction my genetic makeup,
        teeth design and biochemical balance in my mouth off I wonder?

        > And cancer? Guess what: it develops *spontaneously*. That's shoddy
        > workmanship in the DNA itself. Designed? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

        Cancer has triggers and different likelihoods of response.

        > Only idiots like Bush but into this crap.

        Bush contradicted his own science adviser.

        > --
        > Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
        > http://books.nightwares.com/
        > Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
        > http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf
        \--
        Gary Denton
        http://www.apollocon.org June 23-25, 2006