Re: Will someone, anyone please explain to me..........

  • Gary Denton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
      On 5/31/05, Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:
      > On May 31, 2005, at 5:20 PM, Leonard Matusik wrote:
      >
      > > Ah yes.... Never mind then. sorry....
      > > I shall look for another list to bother with those things.
      >
      > Now now, don't take personal offense where none was intended. There'll
      > be plenty of opportunity for that later. What kinds of futurist
      > scenarios were you looking for?
      >
      > F'rinstance you mentioned nanotech. My personal feeling on that is it's
      > limited. I mean, what we'll be able to do with it is limited. I have a
      > pretty strong hunch that the future really lies in biological
      > engineering.

      I agree with that, right now the applications I see for nanotech are
      filters, computing and communications. Everything else will probably
      be easier to do with bioengineering. At small scales life is nanotech
      evolved through millions of years of evolution.

      > The characters I write in one future universe, for instance, live in a
      > time when infectious diseases are all virtually wiped out by -- get
      > this -- a modified version of an HIV-like virus. It lives in the body
      > and augments the immune system rather than destroying it.
      >
      > Fast-moving cancers are still a problem, though -- because of course
      > they don't track as an infection. Slower cancers can be diagnosed and
      > treated.
      >
      > And you don't get IVs out of bottles. You get a *slug* on your arm
      > instead, one that determines what's wrong with you based on how your
      > blood tastes to it, and synthesizes necessary compounds, feeding them
      > into your system directly. (Shock, pain treatments, etc.)

      Too complicated - good technology is simple. Run the blood over a
      molecular diagnostic filter - nanotech - and then inject with the
      correct self-reproducing bugs that produce the needed drugs or eat the
      bad stuff.

      > Of course we're not talking the next few decades here...

      Well, for high but specialized IQ leeches armed with diagnostic and
      production tools you might have to wait quite a while.

      --
      Gary Denton
      Easter Lemming Blogs
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
        >From: Warren Ockrassa <warren@...>
        >To: Killer Bs Discussion <brin-l@...>
        >Subject: Re: Will someone, anyone please explain to me..........
        >Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:35:14 -0700
        >
        >The characters I write in one future universe, for instance, live in a time
        >when infectious diseases are all virtually wiped out by -- get this -- a
        >modified version of an HIV-like virus. It lives in the body and augments
        >the immune system rather than destroying it.

        Speaking of the characters you write, how many copies have you moved so far
        in your career as a scribe?

        -Twavis