Re: Scouted: "Great Bush-ism"

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      Dave Land wrote:
      > Folks,
      >
      > Über-geek, "spiritual teacher," sports fan and political blogger Dan
      > Shafer quotes the president telling the truth in a way that may not have
      > been quite what he intended:
      >
      > "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
      > over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult
      > the propaganda."
      >
      > Shafer connects it to the administration's about-face with respect to
      > Amnesty International (2003: source of valuable information about Saddam
      > Hussein; 2005: "it's absurd.")
      >
      > Don't take my word for it:
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/ds447
      >
      > or, if you like big hairy URLs:
      >
      > http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3

      Aw, come on, that URL isn't big and hairy; it's not even 60 characters
      long! :)

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
        At 11:42 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
        >Dave Land wrote:
        >>Folks,
        >>Über-geek, "spiritual teacher," sports fan and political blogger Dan
        >>Shafer quotes the president telling the truth in a way that may not have
        >>been quite what he intended:
        >> "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
        >> over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult
        >> the propaganda."
        >>Shafer connects it to the administration's about-face with respect to
        >>Amnesty International (2003: source of valuable information about Saddam
        >>Hussein; 2005: "it's absurd.")
        >>Don't take my word for it:
        >> http://tinyurl.com/ds447
        >>or, if you like big hairy URLs:
        >> http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3
        >
        >Aw, come on, that URL isn't big and hairy; it's not even 60 characters
        >long! :)

        "Big and hairy" requires that it at least extend onto a second line, and of
        course be formatted so that the second line is not recognized as the
        continuation of the first line, requiring the recipient to copy the pieces
        and paste them together in his/her browser, thus quite effectively
        deterring all but the die-hard from checking out the link . . . :P

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
          On Jun 2, 2005, at 1:37 AM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

          > At 11:42 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
          >>
          >> Dave Land wrote:
          >>>
          >>> or, if you like big hairy URLs:
          >>> http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3
          >>
          >> Aw, come on, that URL isn't big and hairy; it's not even 60
          >> characters long! :)
          >
          > "Big and hairy" requires that it at least extend onto a second line,
          > and of course be formatted so that the second line is not recognized
          > as the continuation of the first line, requiring the recipient to copy
          > the pieces and paste them together in his/her browser, thus quite
          > effectively deterring all but the die-hard from checking out the link
          > . . . :P

          Well said, both of you. The original URL was bigger and hairier, but I
          used the "send a copy of this article to a friend" feature to send it
          to myself, and the link in the email was the less-hairy one above. I
          readily admit that it was plain laziness that prevented me from
          deleting the "big and hairy" comment.

          Incidentally, in Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox newsletter on web usability
          (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/) once included the following in his top
          ten web-design mistakes: URLs > 75 characters, saying:

          Long URLs break the Web's social navigation because they make it
          virtually impossible to email a friend a recommendation to visit a
          Web page. If the URL is too long to show in the browser's address
          field, many users won't know how to select it. If the URL breaks
          across multiple lines in the email, most recipients won't know how
          to glue the pieces back together.

          Dave

          WWJD: What Would Jakob Do? Maru

        • Gary Denton
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
            On 6/2/05, Ronn!Blankenship <ronn.blankenship@...> wrote:
            > At 11:42 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
            > >Dave Land wrote:
            > >>Folks,
            > >>Über-geek, "spiritual teacher," sports fan and political blogger Dan
            > >>Shafer quotes the president telling the truth in a way that may not have
            > >>been quite what he intended:
            > >> "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
            > >> over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult
            > >> the propaganda."
            > >>Shafer connects it to the administration's about-face with respect to
            > >>Amnesty International (2003: source of valuable information about Saddam
            > >>Hussein; 2005: "it's absurd.")
            > >>Don't take my word for it:
            > >> http://tinyurl.com/ds447
            > >>or, if you like big hairy URLs:
            > >> http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3

            And then it takes off into big and hairy comments.

            I'll address the original thread.

            Given the commitment of the United States to human rights and open
            inspections of facilities to ensure that UN mandates are being
            complied with, I'm sure they'll allow open unannounced inspections of
            the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

            I mean, they've nothing to hide. Right?

            There was a previous report from an interpreter that when congress
            persons came down they would pull out their most cooperative prisoner
            and have a show interrogation.

            Similarly when Newsweek had the quote from a source about the Koran
            being flushed down the toilet the administration and their allies
            Rathergated it and ignored the American Red Cross and their own Army
            investigations of many reports of Koran abuse. Degradation of a
            subjects religion also appears to be part of the SOP in military intel
            training sessions.

            "Potemkin Village"
            --
            Gary "hairy arms and chest but bald heads are a sign of virility I
            always say" Denton
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
              On Jun 2, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Gary Denton wrote:

              > On 6/2/05, Ronn!Blankenship <ronn.blankenship@...> wrote:
              >
              > Given the commitment of the United States to human rights and open
              > inspections of facilities to ensure that UN mandates are being
              > complied with, I'm sure they'll allow open unannounced inspections of
              > the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

              Amnesty, defending its description of Gitmo as a 'gulag,' has urged the
              US to allow independent investigations of allegations of torture at
              detention centers for terrorism suspects, says a Reuters report:

              http://tinyurl.com/cfd5b

              Or, for a truly big hairy URL:

              http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;
              jsessionid=MN3IHH3OFJTKICRBAEOCFFA?
              type=topNews&storyID=8679743§ion=news

              > I mean, they've nothing to hide. Right?

              You'd hope so, but you'd be naively assuming that we self-proclaimed
              defenders of liberty and human rights actually intended to defend
              liberty and human rights. I hate what is being done in the name of
              America. Perhaps they think that we have to destroy our reputation
              in order to save it.

            • Gary Denton
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                On 6/2/05, Dave Land <dland@...> wrote:
                > Amnesty, defending its description of Gitmo as a 'gulag,' has urged the
                > US to allow independent investigations of allegations of torture at
                > detention centers for terrorism suspects, says a Reuters report:
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/cfd5b
                >
                > Or, for a truly big hairy URL:
                >
                > http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;
                > jsessionid=MN3IHH3OFJTKICRBAEOCFFA?
                > type=topNews&storyID=8679743§ion=news
                >
                > > I mean, they've nothing to hide. Right?
                >
                > You'd hope so, but you'd be naively assuming that we self-proclaimed
                > defenders of liberty and human rights actually intended to defend
                > liberty and human rights. I hate what is being done in the name of
                > America. Perhaps they think that we have to destroy our reputation
                > in order to save it.

                Amnesty International, which recently Bush&Co. had been citing against
                those it opposes, is upset that Gitmo is only the tip of a secret
                network of linked U.S. and Allies interrogation prisons around the
                world.

                I think Americans should be upset.

                --
                Gary Denton