Re: kingdom of heaven/this chickenshit era we live in...../uplift wars

  • Warren Ockrassa
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:54 PM, Leonard Matusik wrote:

      > God Warren; THAT sucks....
      > Look what BBC did with Adam's "Hitchhicker", :D

      Not the Beeb. I was thinking more along the lines of the folks who did
      the *Brit* version of _War of the Worlds_ recently.

      And the Beeb TV version was still a damn sight better than the farce
      recently reeking up cinemas.

      >>> But Uplift WARS! (see even the name sounds movie-ish)
      >>> That couldn't be a whole lot harder to do than "Planet of the Apes",
      >>> could it?
      >>
      >> Which version do you mean? The Heston one with the goofy unlifelike
      >> masks, or the Burton one that was a variant of the first one, which
      >> was
      >> almost wholly unrelated to Boulle's book?
      >
      > ***well, the second one of course Warren, I was speaking from a purely
      > technical perspective. My KID could do better than the first
      > one these days>

      Heck, a seventh grader with a flip pad and set of colored pencils
      could've done better.

      (OK, not fair. I guess the FX were *tolerable* in context in the Heston
      film ... but when you compare PotA's "apes" to the pre-humans in
      _2001_, well...)

      >> There's no opportunity for Coke or Nike product placement and no role
      >> for a "dynamic ethnic talent" such as Will Smith or Chris Rock. None
      >> of
      >> the movies would be a "buddy picture" nor a "special effects
      >> extravaganza", and unfortunately there's a waft of Costner stank
      >> hovering about the name "Brin" in certain parts of this universe.

      > Now wait a minute here, Will Smith might be able to play Uthacalthing,
      > the Tymbrini ambassidor and Danny Devito would be great as Gubru
      > Suzerain of Beam and Talon...............But, I'm sorry; you're
      > absolutely right about the rest of it..... I shouldn't have brought
      > it up.

      Danny DeVito as a Gubru? Hmm, you thinkin' of his role in _Batman_?

      Will Smith as an antenna'd alien. Huh.

      --
      Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
      http://books.nightwares.com/

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        At 10:50 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

        >(OK, not fair. I guess the FX were *tolerable* in context in the Heston
        >film ... but when you compare PotA's "apes" to the pre-humans in _2001_,
        >well...)

        Which one won the Academy Award, though?

      • Warren Ockrassa
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
          On Jun 1, 2005, at 10:29 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

          > At 10:50 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
          >
          >> (OK, not fair. I guess the FX were *tolerable* in context in the
          >> Heston film ... but when you compare PotA's "apes" to the pre-humans
          >> in _2001_, well...)
          >
          > Which one won the Academy Award, though?

          You know why? It's because the Academy thought the "apes" in _2001_
          were *real*.

          No shit.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
            At 09:43 AM Thursday 6/2/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
            >On Jun 1, 2005, at 10:29 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
            >
            >>At 10:50 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
            >>
            >>>(OK, not fair. I guess the FX were *tolerable* in context in the Heston
            >>>film ... but when you compare PotA's "apes" to the pre-humans in _2001_,
            >>>well...)
            >>
            >>Which one won the Academy Award, though?
            >
            >You know why? It's because the Academy thought the "apes" in _2001_ were
            >*real*.

            Yep.

            >No shit.

            Um wouldn't that be "Ape sh*t"?