Re: Brin: General's career ended for criticizing Iraq War

  • David Brin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
      Dave's point about blackmail is hugely significant.
      For many years discrimination against homosexuals was
      defended based upon their susceptibility to coercion
      vs being outed.

      To this day, SECRET homosexuality is considered
      worrisome by the State Dept. Alas, that is the only
      kind allowed in the military, a really weird decision.

      In a more general sense, of course, this is about the
      cleansing power of Transparency. When it is mixed
      with a general rise in tolerance of non-harmful human
      eccentricity and diversity.

      Darkness and skulking favor our civilization's enemies
      over the long run. (The SHORT run can feature many
      advantages to short term secrecy, of course. I am not
      a fanatic and I want our side always to have the
      tactical advantages that information superiority
      provides.) Alas, the temptation that lures ALL human
      leaders is to rationalize why THEY should be allowed
      to evade accountability.

      Clinton benefited us - and himself - when he reduced
      overall secrecy. When he lied, he harmed us and
      himself.

      None of which compares to today's lie and secrecy
      fest.

      The deep scandal is subbornation. How many officials
      are subborned by enemies of the republic? How high
      does it go? What methods were used? Blackmail.
      Pictures from wild parties?

      This was NOT considered an unreasonable question
      during our adversarial relationship with the soviets
      and nazis, so why is it so today?

      Can anyone come up with another explanation for Bolton
      and Kerrick? Any other even REMOTELY possible
      explanation for the appointment of a shrieking
      hysteric as a diplomat and a saudfamily bodyguard to
      head homelandsec?

      Really. Is Limbaughism so far along that college
      educated and supposedly patriotic americans cannot
      even see their country being sold out from under them?