Scouted: "Great Bush-ism"

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      Folks,

      Über-geek, "spiritual teacher," sports fan and political blogger Dan
      Shafer quotes the president telling the truth in a way that may not have
      been quite what he intended:

      "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
      over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult
      the propaganda."

      Shafer connects it to the administration's about-face with respect to
      Amnesty International (2003: source of valuable information about Saddam
      Hussein; 2005: "it's absurd.")

      Don't take my word for it:

      http://tinyurl.com/ds447

      or, if you like big hairy URLs:

      http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:29 PM, Dave Land wrote:

        > "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
        > over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult
        > the propaganda."

        Vs. FDR: "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."

        Half-right. Repetition transforms a lie into "common sense."

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          Dave Land wrote:
          > Folks,
          >
          > Über-geek, "spiritual teacher," sports fan and political blogger Dan
          > Shafer quotes the president telling the truth in a way that may not have
          > been quite what he intended:
          >
          > "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
          > over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult
          > the propaganda."
          >
          > Shafer connects it to the administration's about-face with respect to
          > Amnesty International (2003: source of valuable information about Saddam
          > Hussein; 2005: "it's absurd.")
          >
          > Don't take my word for it:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/ds447
          >
          > or, if you like big hairy URLs:
          >
          > http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3

          Aw, come on, that URL isn't big and hairy; it's not even 60 characters
          long! :)

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
            At 11:42 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
            >Dave Land wrote:
            >>Folks,
            >>Über-geek, "spiritual teacher," sports fan and political blogger Dan
            >>Shafer quotes the president telling the truth in a way that may not have
            >>been quite what he intended:
            >> "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
            >> over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult
            >> the propaganda."
            >>Shafer connects it to the administration's about-face with respect to
            >>Amnesty International (2003: source of valuable information about Saddam
            >>Hussein; 2005: "it's absurd.")
            >>Don't take my word for it:
            >> http://tinyurl.com/ds447
            >>or, if you like big hairy URLs:
            >> http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3
            >
            >Aw, come on, that URL isn't big and hairy; it's not even 60 characters
            >long! :)

            "Big and hairy" requires that it at least extend onto a second line, and of
            course be formatted so that the second line is not recognized as the
            continuation of the first line, requiring the recipient to copy the pieces
            and paste them together in his/her browser, thus quite effectively
            deterring all but the die-hard from checking out the link . . . :P

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
              On Jun 2, 2005, at 1:37 AM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

              > At 11:42 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
              >>
              >> Dave Land wrote:
              >>>
              >>> or, if you like big hairy URLs:
              >>> http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3
              >>
              >> Aw, come on, that URL isn't big and hairy; it's not even 60
              >> characters long! :)
              >
              > "Big and hairy" requires that it at least extend onto a second line,
              > and of course be formatted so that the second line is not recognized
              > as the continuation of the first line, requiring the recipient to copy
              > the pieces and paste them together in his/her browser, thus quite
              > effectively deterring all but the die-hard from checking out the link
              > . . . :P

              Well said, both of you. The original URL was bigger and hairier, but I
              used the "send a copy of this article to a friend" feature to send it
              to myself, and the link in the email was the less-hairy one above. I
              readily admit that it was plain laziness that prevented me from
              deleting the "big and hairy" comment.

              Incidentally, in Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox newsletter on web usability
              (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/) once included the following in his top
              ten web-design mistakes: URLs > 75 characters, saying:

              Long URLs break the Web's social navigation because they make it
              virtually impossible to email a friend a recommendation to visit a
              Web page. If the URL is too long to show in the browser's address
              field, many users won't know how to select it. If the URL breaks
              across multiple lines in the email, most recipients won't know how
              to glue the pieces back together.

              Dave

              WWJD: What Would Jakob Do? Maru

            • Gary Denton
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                On 6/2/05, Ronn!Blankenship <ronn.blankenship@...> wrote:
                > At 11:42 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Julia Thompson wrote:
                > >Dave Land wrote:
                > >>Folks,
                > >>Über-geek, "spiritual teacher," sports fan and political blogger Dan
                > >>Shafer quotes the president telling the truth in a way that may not have
                > >>been quite what he intended:
                > >> "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
                > >> over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult
                > >> the propaganda."
                > >>Shafer connects it to the administration's about-face with respect to
                > >>Amnesty International (2003: source of valuable information about Saddam
                > >>Hussein; 2005: "it's absurd.")
                > >>Don't take my word for it:
                > >> http://tinyurl.com/ds447
                > >>or, if you like big hairy URLs:
                > >> http://www.scraprap.com/webx?14@@.1e6f62b3

                And then it takes off into big and hairy comments.

                I'll address the original thread.

                Given the commitment of the United States to human rights and open
                inspections of facilities to ensure that UN mandates are being
                complied with, I'm sure they'll allow open unannounced inspections of
                the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

                I mean, they've nothing to hide. Right?

                There was a previous report from an interpreter that when congress
                persons came down they would pull out their most cooperative prisoner
                and have a show interrogation.

                Similarly when Newsweek had the quote from a source about the Koran
                being flushed down the toilet the administration and their allies
                Rathergated it and ignored the American Red Cross and their own Army
                investigations of many reports of Koran abuse. Degradation of a
                subjects religion also appears to be part of the SOP in military intel
                training sessions.

                "Potemkin Village"
                --
                Gary "hairy arms and chest but bald heads are a sign of virility I
                always say" Denton
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                  On Jun 2, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Gary Denton wrote:

                  > On 6/2/05, Ronn!Blankenship <ronn.blankenship@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Given the commitment of the United States to human rights and open
                  > inspections of facilities to ensure that UN mandates are being
                  > complied with, I'm sure they'll allow open unannounced inspections of
                  > the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

                  Amnesty, defending its description of Gitmo as a 'gulag,' has urged the
                  US to allow independent investigations of allegations of torture at
                  detention centers for terrorism suspects, says a Reuters report:

                  http://tinyurl.com/cfd5b

                  Or, for a truly big hairy URL:

                  http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;
                  jsessionid=MN3IHH3OFJTKICRBAEOCFFA?
                  type=topNews&storyID=8679743§ion=news

                  > I mean, they've nothing to hide. Right?

                  You'd hope so, but you'd be naively assuming that we self-proclaimed
                  defenders of liberty and human rights actually intended to defend
                  liberty and human rights. I hate what is being done in the name of
                  America. Perhaps they think that we have to destroy our reputation
                  in order to save it.

                • Gary Denton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                    On 6/2/05, Dave Land <dland@...> wrote:
                    > Amnesty, defending its description of Gitmo as a 'gulag,' has urged the
                    > US to allow independent investigations of allegations of torture at
                    > detention centers for terrorism suspects, says a Reuters report:
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/cfd5b
                    >
                    > Or, for a truly big hairy URL:
                    >
                    > http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;
                    > jsessionid=MN3IHH3OFJTKICRBAEOCFFA?
                    > type=topNews&storyID=8679743§ion=news
                    >
                    > > I mean, they've nothing to hide. Right?
                    >
                    > You'd hope so, but you'd be naively assuming that we self-proclaimed
                    > defenders of liberty and human rights actually intended to defend
                    > liberty and human rights. I hate what is being done in the name of
                    > America. Perhaps they think that we have to destroy our reputation
                    > in order to save it.

                    Amnesty International, which recently Bush&Co. had been citing against
                    those it opposes, is upset that Gitmo is only the tip of a secret
                    network of linked U.S. and Allies interrogation prisons around the
                    world.

                    I think Americans should be upset.

                    --
                    Gary Denton