re: kingdom of heaven/this chickenshit era we live in...../uplift wars

  • Leonard Matusik
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hmmmm, I can see where you'd say that about something like Startide Rising. It's very cerebral and the water scene would almost have to be animated to work. You'd loose too much. (like how could you possibly do the "underwater homosexual dolphin" scene?

      But Uplift WARS! (see even the name sounds movie-ish)
      That couldn't be a whole lot harder to do than "Planet of the Apes", could it?
      And ya got the goofy bird-nazis, the primal primate sex, the action, a whole species of "merry pranksters" and the interspecies romance (not to mention the cute wittle baby gorillas)
      I'll bet THAT would sell really good at the American box office at least. Heck, I'll bet Brin could even parlay it into 3-5 movies. Too bad he doesn't have the money George Lucas does.

      Leonard Matusik nanotreasures@...
      kerri miller <poetryandprozac@...> wrote:Tue, 31 May 2005 10:41:40 -0700 (PDT)
      With all due respect to Dr Brin, just because Uplift is a great literary
      world doesn't mean it'll translate to film; look at the dreadful mess the
      HG2tG turned out to be once it hit the big screen... no, source material
      isn't a guarantee of quality.

      -k-

      >> LIKE "Uplift Wars", "Deep Range" or "Heart of the Comet". Maybe the
      > authors of these works just want too damn much for the film rights.

    • Warren Ockrassa
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Leonard Matusik wrote:

        > But Uplift WARS! (see even the name sounds movie-ish)
        > That couldn't be a whole lot harder to do than "Planet of the Apes",
        > could it?

        Which version do you mean? The Heston one with the goofy unlifelike
        masks, or the Burton one that was a variant of the first one, which was
        almost wholly unrelated to Boulle's book?

        > And ya got the goofy bird-nazis, the primal primate sex, the action, a
        > whole species of "merry pranksters" and the interspecies romance (not
        > to mention the cute wittle baby gorillas)

        None of which would make it in the States. There's no room for Angelina
        Jolie to suspend herself from anything or Ben Affleck to Save The Day™.
        There's not even a chance to do extended Lazer Beem® scenes with Great
        Big Explosions©, and the primate sex will NOT turn on anyone's target
        demographic sufficiently to justify the cost. (Those who would get
        turned on are not a significantly large demo to work with anyway.)

        There's no opportunity for Coke or Nike product placement and no role
        for a "dynamic ethnic talent" such as Will Smith or Chris Rock. None of
        the movies would be a "buddy picture" nor a "special effects
        extravaganza", and unfortunately there's a waft of Costner stank
        hovering about the name "Brin" in certain parts of this universe.

        Which means you'd have to pitch on ... heh ... the intellectual appeal
        of the story, which is simply beyond the ken of EVERY studio exec
        extant in Hollywood, and at the rate they're inbreeding the situation
        will not improve for at least another half century. If these novels get
        to celluloid my bet's on a UK production.

        Which would *not* be a bad idea.

        --
        Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
        http://books.nightwares.com/

      • Leonard Matusik
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          God Warren; THAT sucks....
          Look what BBC did with Adam's "Hitchhicker", :D
          maybe someone could just do a stage play, maybe a musical adeptation......
          Leonard Matusik nanotreasures@...

          Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:50:12 -0700

          On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Leonard Matusik wrote:

          > But Uplift WARS! (see even the name sounds movie-ish)
          > That couldn't be a whole lot harder to do than "Planet of the Apes",
          > could it?

          Which version do you mean? The Heston one with the goofy unlifelike
          masks, or the Burton one that was a variant of the first one, which was
          almost wholly unrelated to Boulle's book?

          ***well, the second one of course Warren, I was speaking from a purely technical perspective. My KID could do better than the first one these days>

          -

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
            On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:54 PM, Leonard Matusik wrote:

            > God Warren; THAT sucks....
            > Look what BBC did with Adam's "Hitchhicker", :D

            Not the Beeb. I was thinking more along the lines of the folks who did
            the *Brit* version of _War of the Worlds_ recently.

            And the Beeb TV version was still a damn sight better than the farce
            recently reeking up cinemas.

            >>> But Uplift WARS! (see even the name sounds movie-ish)
            >>> That couldn't be a whole lot harder to do than "Planet of the Apes",
            >>> could it?
            >>
            >> Which version do you mean? The Heston one with the goofy unlifelike
            >> masks, or the Burton one that was a variant of the first one, which
            >> was
            >> almost wholly unrelated to Boulle's book?
            >
            > ***well, the second one of course Warren, I was speaking from a purely
            > technical perspective. My KID could do better than the first
            > one these days>

            Heck, a seventh grader with a flip pad and set of colored pencils
            could've done better.

            (OK, not fair. I guess the FX were *tolerable* in context in the Heston
            film ... but when you compare PotA's "apes" to the pre-humans in
            _2001_, well...)

            >> There's no opportunity for Coke or Nike product placement and no role
            >> for a "dynamic ethnic talent" such as Will Smith or Chris Rock. None
            >> of
            >> the movies would be a "buddy picture" nor a "special effects
            >> extravaganza", and unfortunately there's a waft of Costner stank
            >> hovering about the name "Brin" in certain parts of this universe.

            > Now wait a minute here, Will Smith might be able to play Uthacalthing,
            > the Tymbrini ambassidor and Danny Devito would be great as Gubru
            > Suzerain of Beam and Talon...............But, I'm sorry; you're
            > absolutely right about the rest of it..... I shouldn't have brought
            > it up.

            Danny DeVito as a Gubru? Hmm, you thinkin' of his role in _Batman_?

            Will Smith as an antenna'd alien. Huh.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
              In a message dated 6/1/2005 8:50:49 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
              warren@... writes:

              Will Smith might be able to play Uthacalthing,
              > the Tymbrini ambassidor and Danny Devito would be great as Gubru
              > Suzerain of Beam and Talon...............But, I'm sorry; you're
              > absolutely right about the rest of it..... I shouldn't have brought
              > it up.

              Danny DeVito as a Gubru? Hmm, you thinkin' of his role in _Batman_?

              Will Smith as an antenna'd alien. Huh.

              Steven Wright is the only person unemotional enough to play the Thenannin
              ambasador.

              And all Gubru speak like that Lesko creep.

              Vilyehm
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                At 10:50 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

                >(OK, not fair. I guess the FX were *tolerable* in context in the Heston
                >film ... but when you compare PotA's "apes" to the pre-humans in _2001_,
                >well...)

                Which one won the Academy Award, though?

              • Warren Ockrassa
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                  On Jun 1, 2005, at 10:29 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

                  > At 10:50 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                  >
                  >> (OK, not fair. I guess the FX were *tolerable* in context in the
                  >> Heston film ... but when you compare PotA's "apes" to the pre-humans
                  >> in _2001_, well...)
                  >
                  > Which one won the Academy Award, though?

                  You know why? It's because the Academy thought the "apes" in _2001_
                  were *real*.

                  No shit.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                    At 09:43 AM Thursday 6/2/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                    >On Jun 1, 2005, at 10:29 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
                    >
                    >>At 10:50 PM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
                    >>
                    >>>(OK, not fair. I guess the FX were *tolerable* in context in the Heston
                    >>>film ... but when you compare PotA's "apes" to the pre-humans in _2001_,
                    >>>well...)
                    >>
                    >>Which one won the Academy Award, though?
                    >
                    >You know why? It's because the Academy thought the "apes" in _2001_ were
                    >*real*.

                    Yep.

                    >No shit.

                    Um wouldn't that be "Ape sh*t"?