New Family Member (of the four-footed kind)

  • Deborah Harrell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2005
      Well, a friend and I fell 'victim' to auction fever
      last weekend, attending a "Dressage For The Cure"
      fundraiser. We knew a Thoroughbred and a Paint were
      donated, but had no interest...until we saw *her*. A
      lovely 15+ hand bay Arab mare...

      <sigh>

      She's getting along quite nicely with 2 of the gang
      (only because they promptly acknowledged her as Lead
      Mare, I'm afraid!), but Darby is having fits (as would
      be expected for the head honcho). AFAIK, she's never
      been ridden, and coming out of an abusive situation 2
      years ago, we are proceeeding with delicacy. Still,
      I've already bitted her (with the mildest of snaffles)
      and introduced the surcingle (sort of a strap around
      the body, precursor for a saddle), and am
      walking/leading her out on the trail several
      days/week.

      Our only disagreement so far is what to call her: her
      registered name is Sharzanna (eeuww!), my friend likes
      Zanna, but I prefer Cezanne ('cause she's pretty as a
      picture!) -- I suspect she'll learn to respond to
      both. ;)

      Debbi
      Gleaming In The Sun, Bannered In The Wind Maru :D