Re: Lucas Film Business Model

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2005
      Russell Chapman wrote:
      > I don't know if these figures are widely known, but I found them
      > staggering...
      >
      > Cost of making STIII-ROTS - $115,000,000
      > Money spent *so far* on marketing STIII-ROTS - $100,000,000
      > Revenue to date on Star Wars Merchandise/Licencing - $9,000,000,000
      >
      > 9 Billion ? Which makes 10 Billion a distinct possibility by the end
      > of the year.
      > While these numbers justify every wise crack our Dr Brin has ever
      > made
      > about them being advertisements, it gives me a new respect for
      > Lucas'
      > ability to make money.

      >From Box Office Mojo:

      -------------------------
      BOX OFFICE MOJO
      THEATER COUNTS REPORT
      -------------------------

      MAY 19

      Title (Distributor) / Theater Count (Change) / Week #

      Revenge of the Sith (Fox) / 3,700

      - Should the estimate hold, it would be the 10th widest release
      ever.

      - Attack of the Clones / 3,161 theaters
      Opening Day: $30,141,471 (on a Thurs.)
      Four-day bow: $110,169,231

      - The Phantom Menace / 2,970 theaters
      Opening Day: $28,542,349 (on a Wed.)
      Five-day bow: $105,661,237

      Revenge of the Sith will have a global launch next weekend, playing
      everywhere except Japan and South Korea.

      The complete Overseas Breakdown:
      http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=starwars3.htm

      xponent
      That Lucas Is Such An Awful Filmmaker<G> Maru