List manager ethos (was Re: Permission Slips)

    Message 1 of 137 , May 1 8:42 PM
      On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:31:38 -0700, Warren Ockrassa wrote

      > Out of curiosity, why is it that Erik and a few others are able to
      > get away with incessant windbaggery and insulting behavior?

      Free speech.

      More seriously... our list managers (Julia, myself and Dave Land as backup)
      have a very strong prejudice toward tolerating words that might be construed
      as violations of our guidelines, such as the personal attack one. That
      prejudice is extremely strong regarding such words directed at me, precisely
      because I have pretty much total control of the list (except that ultimately,
      the list can move off my servers).

      It's a moral presumption against the use of great power, on the tiny scale of
      the list.

      I suppose I could try to wield my mighty powers to seek some sort of Pax
      Arnetta...

      Message 137 of 137 , May 12 9:13 PM
        Doug Pensinger wrote:
        > On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:06:39 -0500, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
        >>
        >>> You'll See Green Alligators And Long-Necked Geese Maru
        >>

        >> Humpy back camels and some chimpanzees....
        >>
        >> Julia
        >>
        >> Ask Me About Thanksgiving '75 Maru
        >

        > What about Thanksgiving '75?

        A fond memory of hearing that song.

        It might have been the first time I heard the song. My grandfather put
        the record on for me in the basement and then went back upstairs to the
        kitchen where he had more work to do on Thanksgiving dinner. I was
        already all dressed up for dinner, in a dress, and dancing around to the
        music.

        Funny what sticks in your mind from childhood....

        (Of course, in high school, I got a cassette tape with it, and played
        that a lot. Not as much as I played, say, Beethoven's 6th Symphony, but
        still fairly frequently.)