Re: Permission Slips Re: blah, blah, blah . . .

  • Warren Ockrassa
    Message 1 of 137 , May 1 12:31 AM
      On Apr 30, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

      >> Out of curiosity, why is it that Erik and a few others are able to
      >> get away with incessant windbaggery and insulting behavior?
      >
      > "Cuz others find _that_ as funny as the Three Stooges? :D

      Could be, could be ... the thought occurs, though, that comments such
      as "religion-addled brain" are really marks of prejudice, or at least
      arrogance; in my experience arrogance is usually little more than
      vastly undeserved pride.

      I would like to think that those who align with atheism would be *more*
      inclined toward openness and understanding of others. Nick, for
      instance, is not what I would call religion-addled; however, being
      addled by one's *lack* of religion is clearly possible.

      It took me more than a decade of very deep personal inquiry to arrive
      at my atheism, and during that time I struggled with my own
      philosophical issues; with attempting to integrate various religious
      views into my own life and with one another; and ultimately with that
      first aching sense of isolation that I felt when I realized I could not
      believe in any kind of deity any longer. Looking back it was pretty
      damn painful sometimes. One could argue that I am the addled one for
      following that path.

      It's grossly unfair, I think, to start from the assumption that
      something as (ideally) deeply personal and personally intense as a
      quest for understanding of one's faith and one's position vis-a-vis a
      deity is somehow a manifestation of mental unbalance.

      Dawkins, as brilliant as the man is, can be too harsh, I believe; his
      is probably not the best model to follow in terms of framing a
      discussion, because there's not much discussion to be found in phrases
      such as "God is a delusion". That's as hubristic as "God said it, I
      believe it and that settles it". (I know this might read as
      pot-and-kettle, but Dawkins is after all a trained scientist
      purportedly skilled in rational discourse, while I'm the one who likes
      to toss the words around in an attempt to create emotional effect.)

      I commented before that I think atheists can be divided into two broad
      categories: Those who are angry at their god and so say they don't
      believe as an act of defiance; and those who really just can't believe.
      It seems to me that the angrier an atheist gets at the suggestion there
      might be a god, the more likely that atheist is to be in the first
      category. It seems to me that, if one is angered at the suggestion a
      god does exist, one should seek to understand why.

      The reverse is true of course -- if a believer becomes enraged at the
      suggestion a god doesn't exist, the question "why" is very pertinent.

      Sometimes, it seems to me, anger is really a masking emotion for fear.

      --
      Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
      http://books.nightwares.com/

      Message 137 of 137 , May 12 9:13 PM
        Doug Pensinger wrote:
        > On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:06:39 -0500, Julia Thompson <julia@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
        >>
        >>> You'll See Green Alligators And Long-Necked Geese Maru
        >>

        >> Humpy back camels and some chimpanzees....
        >>
        >> Julia
        >>
        >> Ask Me About Thanksgiving '75 Maru
        >

        > What about Thanksgiving '75?

        A fond memory of hearing that song.

        It might have been the first time I heard the song. My grandfather put
        the record on for me in the basement and then went back upstairs to the
        kitchen where he had more work to do on Thanksgiving dinner. I was
        already all dressed up for dinner, in a dress, and dancing around to the
        music.

        Funny what sticks in your mind from childhood....

        (Of course, in high school, I got a cassette tape with it, and played
        that a lot. Not as much as I played, say, Beethoven's 6th Symphony, but
        still fairly frequently.)