Re: Amazing-but-True Facts

  • dland@mccmedia.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 12:14 AM
      On Mar 31, 2005, at 10:18 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

      > A M A Z I N G - B U T - T R U E F A C T S

      They'd be more amazing if they were, in fact, true.

      > * The brand name "Jelly Belly" was created in 1982 after Nancy
      > Reagan made a much-publicized quip about her husband's
      > 20-pound weight gain.

      Except for the fact that Jelly Bellies have been around since
      1976, at least according to their web site.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 3:01 AM
        * Ronn!Blankenship (ronn.blankenship@...) wrote:

        > Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:18:31 -0600

        That was 18 minutes and 30 seconds late! For shame, Ronn!

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 4:35 AM
          At 05:01 AM Friday 4/1/2005, Erik Reuter wrote:
          >* Ronn!Blankenship (ronn.blankenship@...) wrote:
          >
          > > Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:18:31 -0600
          >
          >That was 18 minutes and 30 seconds late! For shame, Ronn!

          Sometimes messages get held up in transmission rather than being delivered
          immediately after they are sent . . .

          --Ronn! :)

        • Max Battcher
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1 11:31 AM
            Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
            > * In the late '90s, Microsoft secretly developed its own version
            > of Linux, but shelved it after quality control researchers
            > deemed it "too stable."

            I can debunk this one. First of all: 70s/80s, Unix not Linux, Not
            Secret. During the Unix Wars when there were a large number of Unix
            versions with different names Microsoft ported one to certain PC flavors
            named Xenix. Microsoft had no intention of selling it themselves, but
            subsequently resold licenses to Xenix to several smaller companies and
            OEMs to market and sell themselves.

            The best selling Xenix distribution was SCO Xenix. SCO is well known
            now for being "litigious bastards". Eventually they ended up purchasing
            the last remaining remnants of the original AT&T Unix properties, well
            after the Unix source and brand had been too widely diffused, and then
            used those patents and copyrights to sue just about every other Unix
            distribution.

            http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html
            http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?I=xenix.history&F=1111111111&G=Y

            --