Re: 'Collapse': How the World Ends L3

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
      From: "Dan Minette" <dsummersminet@...>
      To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 9:26 AM
      Subject: Re: 'Collapse': How the World Ends L3

      > I'll admit I have not read this particular Collapse book yet,
      although
      > I've read plenty in the last 30+ years. But, if the review is at
      all
      > accurate concerning the claims in the book, then it is based on a
      selective
      > gleaming of facts.

      I agree that the state of things in the US is nowhere near as gloomy
      as some might lead a person to believe (At least in regards to the
      matters discussed in this thread<G>), but the worldwide picture might
      be quite different.
      Even if the tending of the eco-techture is ruinous in some parts of
      the world, there might be less of a collapse and more of a serious
      drag on world economies and infrastructures that causes a mild to
      devastating reversal of growth trends and may perhaps kill democratic
      movements in their tracks. (Even in the US).

      I doubt we will see the dreaded WCS, but even the next to WCS' might
      mean that many of our ideals could take a drubbing.

      xponent
      Worst Case Scenario Maru

    • Gary Denton
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
        On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:45:51 -0600, Ronn!Blankenship
        <ronn.blankenship@...> wrote:
        > At 02:32 PM Tuesday 2/1/2005, Gary Denton wrote:
        >
        > >- I think Brin was on to something in 'Earth' in suggesting the right
        > >to vote be dependent upon subscribing to some opposing viewpoint
        > >media.
        >
        > I don't recall the passage you are referring to off the top of my head, but
        > is all that is required to subscribe to such media? I subscribe to what
        > would be called both "liberal" and "conservative" sources, but it doesn't
        > mean that I agree with all I read on either one . . .
        >

        > --Ronn! :)

        My books are in storage right now but I remember being struck by the
        person's occupation - she video edited old media for modern (in 50
        years) fast forward tastes. Somewhere in there she reviews the news
        on the future quasi-Internet/TV and notes she has to have a small
        amount random and some opposing viewpoints to be considered an
        informed voter with the right to vote. Considerations of our sitcoms
        being an artform and editing our current Star Trek episodes in half
        are some other bits.

        Gary 'Maybe that is what Enterprise needs' Denton