Re: 'Collapse': How the World Ends L3

  • Martin Lewis
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
      On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:26:11 -0600, Dan Minette
      <dsummersminet@...> wrote:

      > I'll admit I have not read this particular Collapse book yet, although
      > I've read plenty in the last 30+ years. But, if the review is at all
      > accurate concerning the claims in the book, then it is based on a selective
      > gleaming of facts.

      Brad DeLong on why Easterbrook's review is a piece of shit:

      http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/movable_type/2005-3_archives/000252.html

      Martin
    • Gary Denton
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
        On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:16:12 -0600, Gary Denton <garydenton@...> wrote:
        > The reviewer, Easterbrook, is so incredibly wrong in what he says
        > about _Guns, Germs and Steel that I cannot trust anything he says
        > about _Collapse. Years ago Easterbrook was a decent science columnist
        > and reviewer but has done shoddy work in recent years.
        >
        > Gary Denton

        I should elaborate. How anyone can read _Guns, Germs and Steel and
        make the following claim is an idiot who can't read and doesn't even
        know what postmodern is.

        "''Guns'' asked why the West is atop the food chain of nations. Its
        conclusion, that Western success was a coincidence driven by good
        luck, has proven extremely influential in academia, as the view is
        quintessentially postmodern. "

        _Guns provides reasoning, mainly from geography, of why Europe was
        best suited to acquire technology and spread. You may disagree with
        the evidence and say he overstates the case but to say _Guns concludes
        that Western sucess was due to luck is not a rational review. The
        buzz phrase "quintessentially postmodern" seems to indicate
        Easterbrook opposes this book and wishes to link it to some liberal
        academia fuzzy thinking. If he wanted to state that opinion he should
        not open the what is postmodern subject matter which is a different
        issue.

        --
        Gary Denton
        Easter Lemming Liberal News Digest

        - I think Brin was on to something in 'Earth' in suggesting the right
        to vote be dependent upon subscribing to some opposing viewpoint
        media.
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
          At 02:32 PM Tuesday 2/1/2005, Gary Denton wrote:

          >- I think Brin was on to something in 'Earth' in suggesting the right
          >to vote be dependent upon subscribing to some opposing viewpoint
          >media.

          I don't recall the passage you are referring to off the top of my head, but
          is all that is required to subscribe to such media? I subscribe to what
          would be called both "liberal" and "conservative" sources, but it doesn't
          mean that I agree with all I read on either one . . .

          --Ronn! :)

        • Robert Seeberger
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
              On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:45:51 -0600, Ronn!Blankenship
              <ronn.blankenship@...> wrote:
              > At 02:32 PM Tuesday 2/1/2005, Gary Denton wrote:
              >
              > >- I think Brin was on to something in 'Earth' in suggesting the right
              > >to vote be dependent upon subscribing to some opposing viewpoint
              > >media.
              >
              > I don't recall the passage you are referring to off the top of my head, but
              > is all that is required to subscribe to such media? I subscribe to what
              > would be called both "liberal" and "conservative" sources, but it doesn't
              > mean that I agree with all I read on either one . . .
              >

              > --Ronn! :)

              My books are in storage right now but I remember being struck by the
              person's occupation - she video edited old media for modern (in 50
              years) fast forward tastes. Somewhere in there she reviews the news
              on the future quasi-Internet/TV and notes she has to have a small
              amount random and some opposing viewpoints to be considered an
              informed voter with the right to vote. Considerations of our sitcoms
              being an artform and editing our current Star Trek episodes in half
              are some other bits.

              Gary 'Maybe that is what Enterprise needs' Denton