And All I Ask is a Tall Ship And a Star to Steer Her By

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      Folks,

      Killer B Gregory Benford and his brother James have proposed a solar
      sail that could propel a ship to Mars in a month. See the article at
      NewScientist.com:
      http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524846.500

    • kerri miller
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        --- Dave Land <dland@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > Killer B Gregory Benford and his brother James have proposed a solar
        > sail that could propel a ship to Mars in a month. See the article at
        > NewScientist.com:
        > http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524846.500

        That is a seriously neat idea. Nice to see everyone saying "well obviously
        there's some details to work out..." So often, even in responsible science
        reporting, small breakthroughs or insights are billed as world-shifting...

        -kerri "give me a lever, a place to stand, and a microwave" miller-

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          Dave Land wrote:

          > Killer B Gregory Benford and his brother James have proposed a solar
          > sail that could propel a ship to Mars in a month. See the article at
          > NewScientist.com:
          > http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524846.500

          Two years ago I would jump to that link and spoil the fun with
          some hard arguments. Now I don't give a damn about anything
          that is not powered by derivatives of oil or natural gas :-)

        • Erik Reuter
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
            * Alberto Monteiro (albmont@...) wrote:

            > Two years ago I would jump to that link and spoil the fun with some
            > hard arguments. Now I don't give a damn about anything that is not
            > powered by derivatives of oil or natural gas :-)

            So, is the Brazilian economy successfully redeploying its resources from
            pie in the sky to oil in the ground?

            --
            Erik Reuter http://www.erikreuter.net/
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
              On Feb 1, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

              > Dave Land wrote:
              >>
              >> Killer B Gregory Benford and his brother James have proposed a solar
              >> sail that could propel a ship to Mars in a month. See the article at
              >> NewScientist.com:
              >> http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524846.500
              >>
              > Two years ago I would jump to that link and spoil the fun with
              > some hard arguments. Now I don't give a damn about anything
              > that is not powered by derivatives of oil or natural gas :-)

              The article makes no mention of the formulation of the paint,
              which may very well be a derivative of oil.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
                Erik Reuter wrote:

                >> Two years ago I would jump to that link and spoil the fun with some
                >> hard arguments. Now I don't give a damn about anything that is not
                >> powered by derivatives of oil or natural gas :-)
                >
                > So, is the Brazilian economy successfully redeploying its resources from
                > pie in the sky to oil in the ground?

                Brazil abandoned space. The Telecom companies were piratized, and
                the new buyers aren't interested in anything that has a risk higher than
                0.000001%. OTOH, the oil production is increasing, and we expect for
                the first time in History to become self-sufficient.

                But it's not oil in the ground. It's oil in deep waters.