Re: Education - or lack thereof (was: Gay Marriage)

  • Deborah Harrell
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
      >I wrote:
      > > Erik Reuter <ereuter@...> wrote:
      > > >Deborah Harrell wrote:

      <snippage throughout>
      > > > Toenail fungus.

      > > You lost me at "Toenail fungus". Are we being
      > given
      > > a test, which one of
      > > these does not belong? :-) My best guess is that
      > > referring to the
      > > FDA's warning in 2001 about Lamisil possibly
      > >causing liver damage? If
      > > so, how is that the "customers" or "patients"
      > >fault? If the FDA has good
      > > evidence for danger, why is it still allowing
      > > Lamisil to be sold (and heavily advertised)?

      > Now you're going to make that song play in my head
      > all the way home!

      But then I should have had *4* things listed, to give
      you the full choice range! :)

      > .....mostly 'yep.' In the side effect
      > profile for Lamisil (and most if not all antifungals
      > that are taken internally), liver damage is listed.
      > This has to do with the cell membrane construction
      > of
      > fungi, which IIRC has more in common with mammalian
      > cells...cholesterol-based compounds? (I'll look
      > that up.)

      Here's a bit of an overview:
      http://gsbs.utmb.edu/microbook/ch076.htm
      "Amphotericin, nystatin, and pimaricin interact with
      sterols in the cell membrane (ergosterol in fungi,
      cholesterol in humans) to form channels through which
      small molecules leak from the inside of the fungal
      cell to the outside.

      "Fluconazole, itraconazole, and ketoconazole inhibit
      cytochrome P450-dependent enzymes (particularly
      C14-demethylase) involved in the biosynthesis of
      ergosterol, which is required for fungal cell membrane
      structure and function.

      "Allylamines (naftifine, terbinafine) inhibit
      ergosterol biosynthesis at the level of squalene
      epoxidase. The morpholine drug, amorolfine, inhibits
      the same pathway at a later step...

      "...The development of antifungal agents has lagged
      behind that of antibacterial agents. This is a
      predictable consequence of the cellular structure of
      the organisms involved. Bacteria are prokaryotic and
      hence offer numerous structural and metabolic targets
      that differ from those of the human host. Fungi, in
      contrast, are eukaryotes, and consequently most agents
      toxic to fungi are also toxic to the host.
      Furthermore, because fungi generally grow slowly and
      often in multicellular forms, they are more difficult
      to quantify than bacteria..."

      > My point is more that it's a cosmetic
      problem....[advertising suggests that]
      > *it needs to be treated with an expensive and
      > potentially harmful* drug. It doesn't. But unless
      > you do your homework, you'd agree with that worried
      > lady in the ad who mutters "Infection...?"

      Damon's query and the subsequent responses re: dremels
      noted... <grin>

      I personally use an exacto knife to pare down the
      offending toenail; I keep threatening to try my
      dogshowing friend's 'Happy Jack' treatment for dognail
      fungus...I'll let you know if I do, and the outcome!

      It's not that I'm against treating nail fungi; I just
      want folks to be properly aware of what the
      _potential_ consequences are. Lamisil is much less
      toxic than frex Amphotericin B, which we nicknamed
      'amphoterrible' b/c of its many nasty side effects (of
      course, fungal infection of the brain is just a tad
      more serious than that of the toenail, and you can't
      do without a brain, unlike pretty feet...).

      And drugs like Accutane, a definite teratogen, are
      justified in being used only for truly dreadful cases
      of acne [I do not consider _severe_ acne merely
      cosmetic, but actually disfiguring, and so increased
      risk, if properly explained, can be acceptable].

      Debbi
      Off To Another Lesson Maru UU

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
        At Monday 04:38 PM 1/3/2005, Deborah Harrell wrote:
        >Lamisil is much less
        >toxic than frex Amphotericin B, which we nicknamed
        >'amphoterrible' b/c of its many nasty side effects (of
        >course, fungal infection of the brain is just a tad
        >more serious than that of the toenail, and you can't
        >do without a brain, unlike pretty feet...).

        I dunno. Many models and actresses seem to have made just that choice . . .

        Though Admittedly With Most Of Them It Is Not The Appearance Of Their
        *Feet* Which Is Bankable Maru

      • Warren Ockrassa
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2005

          You might want to forward this to president@....

          --
          Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
          http://books.nightwares.com/