Re: Education - or lack thereof (was: Gay Marriage)

  • Reggie Bautista
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
      > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:00:43 -0500, Damon Agretto <dcaa@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > It may be a cosmetic problem, but its also a real pain. I sometimes have
      > > problems with my *toes* hurting because the nails are too thick, and
      filing
      > > them down is tedious and time consuming (that said, I did get a Dremel
      > > mototool for Xmas, so that might help out...as long as I don't cut my
      toes
      > > off!). I've considered taking the "curative" to get rid of it, though
      with

      Bryon Daly replied:

      > It's been done before...
      > My wife got a pedicure a few weeks ago and was quite surprised when
      > the man doing it whipped out a Dremel and promised he'd be done twice
      > as fast that way. None of the women giving pedicures were using
      > Dremels. He did a good job, though, and was done quickly, and with no
      > dismemberments, etc. to speak of.

      The vet that we take our guinea pigs and pygmie hedgehog to see uses a
      Dremel to do their nails. Also, the long front teath of guinea pigs
      continue to grow their entire life, and when they are not in the wild they
      often grow long enough to become a problem. Our vet uses her Dremel to file
      those down too.

      Reggie
      <relurking>

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
        Reggie wrote:

        > The vet that we take our guinea pigs and pygmie hedgehog to see uses a
        > Dremel to do their nails. Also, the long front teath of guinea pigs
        > continue to grow their entire life, and when they are not in the wild
        > they
        > often grow long enough to become a problem. Our vet uses her Dremel to
        > file
        > those down too.

        We use dremels to cope talons and beaks at the wildlife rescue. I coped a
        barn owl this morning in fact. We use the battery powered dremels that
        don't really have much torque and aren't as noisy.

      • Deborah Harrell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
          >I wrote:
          > > Erik Reuter <ereuter@...> wrote:
          > > >Deborah Harrell wrote:

          <snippage throughout>
          > > > Toenail fungus.

          > > You lost me at "Toenail fungus". Are we being
          > given
          > > a test, which one of
          > > these does not belong? :-) My best guess is that
          > > referring to the
          > > FDA's warning in 2001 about Lamisil possibly
          > >causing liver damage? If
          > > so, how is that the "customers" or "patients"
          > >fault? If the FDA has good
          > > evidence for danger, why is it still allowing
          > > Lamisil to be sold (and heavily advertised)?

          > Now you're going to make that song play in my head
          > all the way home!

          But then I should have had *4* things listed, to give
          you the full choice range! :)

          > .....mostly 'yep.' In the side effect
          > profile for Lamisil (and most if not all antifungals
          > that are taken internally), liver damage is listed.
          > This has to do with the cell membrane construction
          > of
          > fungi, which IIRC has more in common with mammalian
          > cells...cholesterol-based compounds? (I'll look
          > that up.)

          Here's a bit of an overview:
          http://gsbs.utmb.edu/microbook/ch076.htm
          "Amphotericin, nystatin, and pimaricin interact with
          sterols in the cell membrane (ergosterol in fungi,
          cholesterol in humans) to form channels through which
          small molecules leak from the inside of the fungal
          cell to the outside.

          "Fluconazole, itraconazole, and ketoconazole inhibit
          cytochrome P450-dependent enzymes (particularly
          C14-demethylase) involved in the biosynthesis of
          ergosterol, which is required for fungal cell membrane
          structure and function.

          "Allylamines (naftifine, terbinafine) inhibit
          ergosterol biosynthesis at the level of squalene
          epoxidase. The morpholine drug, amorolfine, inhibits
          the same pathway at a later step...

          "...The development of antifungal agents has lagged
          behind that of antibacterial agents. This is a
          predictable consequence of the cellular structure of
          the organisms involved. Bacteria are prokaryotic and
          hence offer numerous structural and metabolic targets
          that differ from those of the human host. Fungi, in
          contrast, are eukaryotes, and consequently most agents
          toxic to fungi are also toxic to the host.
          Furthermore, because fungi generally grow slowly and
          often in multicellular forms, they are more difficult
          to quantify than bacteria..."

          > My point is more that it's a cosmetic
          problem....[advertising suggests that]
          > *it needs to be treated with an expensive and
          > potentially harmful* drug. It doesn't. But unless
          > you do your homework, you'd agree with that worried
          > lady in the ad who mutters "Infection...?"

          Damon's query and the subsequent responses re: dremels
          noted... <grin>

          I personally use an exacto knife to pare down the
          offending toenail; I keep threatening to try my
          dogshowing friend's 'Happy Jack' treatment for dognail
          fungus...I'll let you know if I do, and the outcome!

          It's not that I'm against treating nail fungi; I just
          want folks to be properly aware of what the
          _potential_ consequences are. Lamisil is much less
          toxic than frex Amphotericin B, which we nicknamed
          'amphoterrible' b/c of its many nasty side effects (of
          course, fungal infection of the brain is just a tad
          more serious than that of the toenail, and you can't
          do without a brain, unlike pretty feet...).

          And drugs like Accutane, a definite teratogen, are
          justified in being used only for truly dreadful cases
          of acne [I do not consider _severe_ acne merely
          cosmetic, but actually disfiguring, and so increased
          risk, if properly explained, can be acceptable].

          Debbi
          Off To Another Lesson Maru UU

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
            At Monday 04:38 PM 1/3/2005, Deborah Harrell wrote:
            >Lamisil is much less
            >toxic than frex Amphotericin B, which we nicknamed
            >'amphoterrible' b/c of its many nasty side effects (of
            >course, fungal infection of the brain is just a tad
            >more serious than that of the toenail, and you can't
            >do without a brain, unlike pretty feet...).

            I dunno. Many models and actresses seem to have made just that choice . . .

            Though Admittedly With Most Of Them It Is Not The Appearance Of Their
            *Feet* Which Is Bankable Maru

          • Warren Ockrassa
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2005

              You might want to forward this to president@....

              --
              Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
              http://books.nightwares.com/