Invasion of the Factoids

  • Robert G. Seeberger
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
      Many years ago, in Scotland, a new game was
      invented. It was ruled "Gentlemen Only . . . Ladies Forbidden" . . .
      and thus the word GOLF entered
      into the English language.

      ------

      The State with the highest percentage of people who
      walk to work: Alaska

      ----------

      The first couple to be shown in bed together on
      prime time TV were Fred and
      Wilma Flintstone.

      ---------

      Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than
      the US Treasury.

      -----------

      Men can read smaller print than women can; women
      can hear better.

      -------------

      Coca-Cola was originally green.

      -----------

      It is impossible to lick your elbow.

      -----------

      The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28%
      (now get this...) The
      percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

      --------

      The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of
      eleven: $6,400

      ------------

      The average number of people airborne over the US
      any given hour: 61,000

      ------------

      Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in
      their hair.

      ------------

      The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived
      in China in 1910.

      ------------

      The youngest pope was 11 years old.

      ------------

      The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom
      Sawyer.

      ------------
      The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile
      National Monuments.

      ------------

      Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a
      great king from history:

      Spades - King David
      Hearts - Charlemagne
      Clubs -Alexander, the Great
      Diamonds - Julius Caesar

      ------------

      111,111,111 x 111,111,111 12,345,678,987,654,321

      ------------

      If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has
      both front legs in the air, the person died in battle.

      If the horse has one front leg in the air, the person
      died as a result of wounds received in battle.

      If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the
      person died of natural causes.

      ------------

      Only two people signed the Declaration of
      Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and
      Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2,
      but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.

      ------------

      Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of
      what?
      A. Their birthplace

      ------------

      Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the
      most popular boat name
      requested?
      A. Obsession

      ------------

      Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would
      you have to go until you
      would find the letter "A"?
      A. One thousand

      ------------

      Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes,
      windshield wipers, and laser
      printers all have in common?
      A. All invented by women.

      ------------

      Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil?
      A. Honey

      ------------

      Q. Which day are there more collect calls than any
      other day of the year?
      A. Father's Day

      ------------

      In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on
      bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes
      the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on.
      Hence the phrase "goodnight, sleep tight."

      -------------

      It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago
      that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would
      supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink.
      Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based,
      this period was called the honey month
      . . . which we know today as the honeymoon.

      ------------

      In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and
      quarts. So, in old England, when customers got unruly,
      the bartender would yell at them "Mind your pints
      and quarts, and settle down." It's where we get the
      phrase "mind your P's and Q's."

      ------------

      Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a
      whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups.
      When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service.
      "Wet your whistle" is the phrase inspired by this practice.
      ------------

      At least 75% of people who read this will try to
      lick their elbow.

    • Bryon Daly
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
        FYI at least a few of these that I paused to check via snopes or
        google are false (golf, green coke, elbow), and I suspect at least a
        few others are as well (but am too lazy to research them all). Caveat
        lector, I suppose. :-)

      • Robert Seeberger
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2004
          > FYI at least a few of these that I paused to check via snopes or
          > google are false (golf, green coke, elbow), and I suspect at least a
          > few others are as well (but am too lazy to research them all).
          Caveat
          > lector, I suppose. :-)

          Heh!
          I thought the dubious nature of the factoids was obvious.
          That's what makes them fun.<G>

          xponent
          I Repeat, "Nutty Flavor" Maru

        • Travis Edmunds
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2005
            >From: "Robert G. Seeberger" <rceeberger@...>
            >To: <brin-l@...>
            >Subject: Invasion of the Factoids
            >Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:41:44 -0600
            >
            >At least 75% of people who read this will try to
            >lick their elbow.

            Upon reading the 'factoid' that the above alludes to, I immediately tried to
            lick my elbow!

            -Travis "time to pause and reflect" Edmunds