Re: No Spoilers: Talking about THE INCREDIBLES?

  • Robert Seeberger
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
      From: "Chad Underkoffler" <chadu@...>
      To: <brin-l@...>
      Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 7:19 AM
      Subject: Shifting Gears: Talking about THE INCREDIBLES?

      > I saw THE INCREDIBLES twice this weekend (it's fantastic, IMAO),
      > and there are aspects in the movie that I'd like to discuss
      > here, because they seem to touch on aspects of Dr. Brin's Salon
      > articles on LotR and Star Wars.

      I took my 9 year old to see it Sunday, and I liked it a lot more than
      he did!<G>
      I think it reflected more of a "real life" take on storytelling than
      he really likes.
      I felt like it was a bit of an improvement in storytelling for Brad
      Bird as compared to his previous effort "The Iron Giant". Of course I
      really loved "The Iron Giant", the single line "Superman!" at the end
      of the film really summed up the dream of humanity for me, and that
      one line spoke to me, the way it made me feel to hear it told me a lot
      about who I want to be.
      The "Message" in The Incredibles is a bit more subtle. The dream of
      having the power to change the world for the better is there, but a
      sense of helplessness to actually make lasting changes is also
      present, and this is the struggle portrayed in the film.
      In a way, it reflects some modern memes wherein great power is not all
      that is needed to do good works, but that there are also battles with
      ones self and ones environment to contend with before good works can
      be accomplished.

      So, what did you see that reminded you of Brin's essays?

      xponent
      Family Feud Maru

    • Jim Sharkey
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
        Robert Seeberger wrote:
        >The "Message" in The Incredibles is a bit more subtle. The dream
        >of having the power to change the world for the better is there,
        >but a sense of helplessness to actually make lasting changes is
        >also present, and this is the struggle portrayed in the film.

        *nods* There were a few points where I all but felt physical pain at the sense of quiet desperation in Bob. I think everyone, no matter how great his job/life is has felt that way: powerless and unable to change things because of the weight of adult responsibilities.

        Again, a great movie.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
          You might want to look for the son of a good friends of ours, who's also a
          nice guy on his own: Travis Hathaway in the credits. He is in the first
          group of animators. He was the youngest computer animator hired by Pixar.

        • Deborah Harrell
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2004
            > Jim Sharkey <templar569@...> wrote:
            > > Robert Seeberger wrote:

            > >The "Message" in The Incredibles is a bit more
            > subtle. The dream
            > >of having the power to change the world for the
            > better is there,
            > >but a sense of helplessness to actually make
            > lasting changes is
            > >also present, and this is the struggle portrayed in
            > the film.

            > *nods* There were a few points where I all but felt
            > physical pain at the sense of quiet desperation in
            > Bob. I think everyone, no matter how great his
            > job/life is has felt that way: powerless and unable
            > to change things because of the weight of adult
            > responsibilities.
            >
            > Again, a great movie.

            Saw it this week - loved it! Moments of
            full-belly-laugh hilarity, and, as you note above,
            near-grief. Some of the scenes were as poignant as
            anything you'd see in a serious drama.

            And where can I get such a versatile, well-tailored
            suit?! ;}

            I'll also toss in a thumb's-up for "Finding
            Neverland," which I thought lovely, if
            heart-wrenching.

            Debbi
            A Mere 1800++ Posts To Go Maru

          • Warren Ockrassa
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2004
              On Dec 29, 2004, at 4:40 PM, Deborah Harrell wrote:

              > Saw it this week - loved it! Moments of
              > full-belly-laugh hilarity, and, as you note above,
              > near-grief. Some of the scenes were as poignant as
              > anything you'd see in a serious drama.

              Pixar does OK, yeah. Pretty consistent product. I'm just waiting for
              the inevitable clone movie by Dreamworks. "The Amazings" or something
              equally goofy.

              > And where can I get such a versatile, well-tailored
              > suit?! ;}

              From E, dahling, vhere else?

              > I'll also toss in a thumb's-up for "Finding
              > Neverland," which I thought lovely, if
              > heart-wrenching.

              I've been teetering on see/not see for that one...

              --
              Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
              http://books.nightwares.com/

            • Steve Sloan
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2004
                Warren Ockrassa wrote:

                > Pixar does OK, yeah. Pretty consistent product. I'm just
                > waiting for the inevitable clone movie by Dreamworks. "The
                > Amazings" or something equally goofy.

                There's still time for them to slap together a car movie, before
                Pixar's car movie comes out next year. That would fit a pattern,
                where Dreamworks only copies *every other* Pixar movie.

                Pixar Dreamworks
                ----- ----------
                A Bug's Life Antz
                Monsters, Inc. [skipped]
                Finding Nemo Shark Tale
                The Incredibles [skipped, at least so far]
                Cars [who knows?]
                Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> steve@...
                Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
                Science Fiction-themed online store ..... http://www.sloan3d.com/store
                Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
                3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
                Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
                Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com
              • Robert Seeberger
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2004
                  > > Pixar does OK, yeah. Pretty consistent product. I'm just
                  > > waiting for the inevitable clone movie by Dreamworks. "The
                  > > Amazings" or something equally goofy.
                  >
                  > There's still time for them to slap together a car movie, before
                  > Pixar's car movie comes out next year. That would fit a pattern,
                  > where Dreamworks only copies *every other* Pixar movie.
                  >
                  > Pixar Dreamworks
                  > ----- ----------
                  > A Bug's Life Antz
                  > Monsters, Inc. [skipped]
                  > Finding Nemo Shark Tale
                  > The Incredibles [skipped, at least so far]
                  > Cars [who knows?]

                  Who is doing Robots?

                  xponent
                  The Pattern Resolves Maru

                • Steve Sloan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2004
                    Robert Seeberger wrote:

                    > Who is doing Robots?

                    The people who did Ice Age, Blue Sky Studios, with Fox as their
                    distributor.
                    Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> steve@...
                    Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
                    Science Fiction-themed online store ..... http://www.sloan3d.com/store
                    Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
                    3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
                    Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
                    Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com
                  • Gary Denton
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 30, 2004
                      The sucess of The Incredibles has already caused changes to The
                      Fantastic Four movie. Unfortunately it looks like the changes were
                      mainly to spend more on the F/X.

                      Gary D.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2004
                        Steve Sloan wrote:

                        > There's still time for them to slap together a car movie, before
                        > Pixar's car movie comes out next year. That would fit a pattern,
                        > where Dreamworks only copies *every other* Pixar movie.
                        >
                        > Pixar Dreamworks
                        > ----- ----------
                        > A Bug's Life Antz
                        > Monsters, Inc. [skipped]

                        Couldn't _Shrek_ count as the homolog of _Monsters, Inc._ ?

                        > Finding Nemo Shark Tale
                        > The Incredibles [skipped, at least so far]
                        > Cars [who knows?]

                      • Steve Sloan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005

                          Alberto Monteiro wrote:

                          > Couldn't _Shrek_ count as the homolog of _Monsters, Inc._ ?

                          I hadn't thought about it, but it's possible. I don't think MI
                          and Shrek are as similar to each other as the examples I gave,
                          but they do have things in common. Both present a story from
                          the sympathetic monster's viewpoint, and both feature a big
                          guy and his perky little sidekick. I probably didn't think of
                          Shrek as an example because, unlike the other Dreamworks movies
                          I listed, I really like Shrek. I don't *want* it to be just
                          another possible ripoff of a Pixar movie -- even if all that
                          means is that they heard about Monsters, Inc., then chose to
                          adapt Shrek from the original book because it was kinda similar.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                            On Jan 1, 2005, at 5:17 PM, Steve Sloan wrote:

                            > I probably didn't think of
                            > Shrek as an example because, unlike the other Dreamworks movies
                            > I listed, I really like Shrek.

                            Well, possibly because it's about the only Dreamworks hack that didn't
                            suck. It was legitimately entertaining. It was clever, it presented a
                            common idea from a new perspective, and it had some genuinely emotional
                            moments as well.

                            Shrek II, on the other hand, was a stanky a dog turd as any what was
                            ever squeezed from the sphincter of a manged mutt.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 7, 2005
                              This should have gone out last time...

                              > Warren Ockrassa <warren@...> wrote:
                              > Deborah Harrell wrote:

                              <snip>
                              > > Saw it this week - loved it!...
                              > > And where can I get such a versatile,
                              > >well-tailored suit?! ;}

                              > From E, dahling, vhere else?

                              Vhen can ve dhoo lunch...? ;)
                              What a hoot this character is!

                              Debbi
                              who got to put on a fake British accent twice last
                              week, for costumed horse rides (Darby's contribution
                              to the 'show' was flying lead changes every stride for
                              a while - oh, he was strutting his stuff!) :D