Re: Brin-l Digest, Vol 194, Issue 20

  • Maru
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2004
      Y'know, there's a very handy logical fallacy here, Gautam, (I hope we can agree that logic is still valid despite its intellectual-ness and inherent snobbery? Because if we can't, we'll have a serious world-view clash). What was it called again? Oh yeah: False Appeal to Authority! Which is to say, along the lines of : ' I run heedlessly into danger, jump out of planes for fun, and in short, seem to have a death wish! So nobody better question my views, because everybody knows that what a coward says simply can't be trusted! ' The truth of something has no relationship to who saysit. And as for snobbery, which this whole thing really seems to hinge upon, let's everybody remember: 'Snobbery' is a loaded word, one freighted with considereable vituperation and unpleasantness. Frankly, snobbery is a good thing- I usually call it taste, or good judgement. I am hopelessly snobbish about the food I eat, the results I hope to get from a
      calculator, about having the sun rise in the morning... But that's just me. I note that very few people seem to prefer the stuff of the masses, what you get when you subtract the good stuff.

      ~Maru

      From: Gautam Mukunda
      Subject: Re: Brin: some thoughts and quotes.
      To: Killer Bs Discussion

      --- David Brin wrote:
      > Go to hell. You are a snob and a coward.

      A coward? This from you who (oh so conveniently)
      decided that a war was unjust as soon as it might risk
      his own precious skin? I have _twice_ volunteered to
      serve my country in war. I have jumped _out_ of an
      airplane for fun and _into_ a car to save the life of
      a complete stranger. And a snob? Don't make me
      laugh. I'm not the one ranting about NASCAR. Please.
      I'm not even offended. I'd have to take you
      seriously to be offended.

      I don't know what you're compensating for, and I don't
      care, but whatever issues you might be trying to
      resolve, I am not someone you can work them out on.
      Pick someone who is likely to be scared by ranting.
      It's not me. And that is the end of this discussion
      since - as usual - you have managed to make personal
      attacks with astonishing speed.

      =====
      Gautam Mukunda
      ulysses02143@...
      "Freedom is not free"
      http://www.mukunda.blogspot.com

    • John D. Giorgis
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        At 07:28 PM 9/19/2004 -0700 Maru wrote:
        >>A coward?
        >Y'know, there's a very handy logical fallacy here, Gautam, (I hope we can
        agree
        >that logic is still valid despite its intellectual-ness and inherent
        snobbery?
        >Because if we can't, we'll have a serious world-view clash). What was it
        > called again? Oh yeah: False Appeal to Authority!
        [snip]
        > And as for snobbery, which this whole thing really seems to hinge upon,

        Actually, the whole thing was about cowardice - something that you have
        just amply demonstrated.

        JDG

        P.S. Note to Admins... does the phrase "Brin-L Digest" trigger Dr. Brin's
        mail filter, or do we need to alter that?
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
          John D. Giorgis wrote:

          > P.S. Note to Admins... does the phrase "Brin-L Digest" trigger Dr. Brin's
          > mail filter, or do we need to alter that?

          It doesn't... to pass the filter, there has to be a colon after "Brin"
          in the subject.