Re: Mt. St. Helens On Eruption Watch

  • kerry miller
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
      --- "John D. Giorgis" <jxg9@...> wrote:

      > At 11:11 AM 10/1/2004 +1000 Russell Chapman wrote:
      > >Travis Edmunds wrote:
      > >> http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20040927/helens.html
      > >>
      > >> Sept. 30, 2004 � U.S. geologists warned Wednesday that a surge in
      > >> seismic activity at Mount St. Helens in the state of Washington
      > could
      > >> spark a volcano eruption.
      >
      > Dr. Brin reports that God must be punishing the people of Washington
      > State.....

      LOL!

      -kerry "more of the same" miller-

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1 10:01 AM
        On Sep 30, 2004, at 6:11 PM, Russell Chapman wrote:

        > Gosh - I hope not - it is one of the centrepieces of my Christmas
        > holiday plans, along with Rainier and some other spots in the
        > Cascades.
        >
        > Does anyone know what the authorities would do if it did blow - would
        > the roads (such as they are in winter already) between St Helens,
        > Rainier and Kelso or Tacoma be closed?

        A report I heard said that an eruption could send rocks flying as far
        as ... the rim of the crater. I wouldn't cancel my plans if I were
        you... Then again, if your plans included a hike to the rim, you may be
        out of luck.

        Blessings,

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1 11:55 AM
          JDG blasphemed:

          > Dr. Brin reports that God must be punishing the people of Washington
          > State.....

          OTOH, a br journalist traced the route of br president Lula, and it's
          amazingly coincidental with disasters: in August, he visited Haiti, and
          then it was hit by Jeanne; in July he visited Santa Cruz de la Sierra,
          in Bolivia, that was burned by florestal fires; in July he visited
          Cabo Verde and Guine-Bissau, that were devasted by locusts; in
          May he was in China, and later tornados killed a handful of people
          (600 or so - which, for China, is negligible).

          AFAIK, Lula has just visited New York, but he has not come close to St Helens.

        • Robert Seeberger
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1 3:59 PM
            Dave Land wrote:
            > On Sep 30, 2004, at 6:11 PM, Russell Chapman wrote:
            >
            >> Gosh - I hope not - it is one of the centrepieces of my Christmas
            >> holiday plans, along with Rainier and some other spots in the
            >> Cascades.
            >>
            >> Does anyone know what the authorities would do if it did blow -
            would
            >> the roads (such as they are in winter already) between St Helens,
            >> Rainier and Kelso or Tacoma be closed?
            >
            > A report I heard said that an eruption could send rocks flying as
            far
            > as ... the rim of the crater. I wouldn't cancel my plans if I were
            > you... Then again, if your plans included a hike to the rim, you may
            > be out of luck.

            Steam Cloud Rises Above Mount St. Helens
            Steam Eruption Exactly What Scientists Predicted

            POSTED: 2:42 pm EDT October 1, 2004
            UPDATED: 6:26 pm EDT October 1, 2004

            VANCOUVER, Wash. -- A steam eruption was seen at Mount St. Helens
            volcano in Washington state, with the cloud of white steam and a small
            plume of ash coming from the mountain. The steam burst began just
            after 12 p.m. Pacific time and lasted about 20 minutes.

            A seismologist said the small earthquakes that have been taking place
            under the volcano for the past several days have now just about
            stopped. He said the pressure inside the volcano has been released,
            and the eruption appears to be over.

            Scientists had been saying in recent days that an eruption was likely,
            and the steam shot from the crater in exactly the way scientists had
            predicted, reported KIRO-TV in Seattle. Scientists aren't expecting
            anything nearly as powerful as the 1980 eruption that blew the top off
            the mountain and killed 57 people.

            Scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey's Cascades Volcano
            Observatory in Vancouver issued a volcano advisory Thursday. They
            reported three or four quakes a minute with the largest a magnitude
            3.3. All the earthquakes were still shallow and in or below the lava
            dome.

            A volcano advisory means there's a significant likelihood of hazardous
            volcanic activity, but that the evidence does not indicate the event
            will threaten life or property.

            Scientists had been checking gases, thermal imaging, and changes in
            the lava dome and the side of the volcano for signs that magma might
            be moving in the mountain.

            Jeff Wynn, the chief scientist at the Cascade Volcano Observatory,
            said Thursday the chance of a small eruption at Mount St. Helens in
            the next few days is about 70 percent.

            He said new measurements show the 975-foot lava dome in the volcano's
            crater has moved 2.5 inches to the north since Monday. He said,
            "That's a lot of energy."

            Meanwhile, an Oregon health official said volcanic ash from an
            eruption at Mount St. Helens is expected to pose a low health risk.

            Dr. Grant Higginson said research carried out after the 1980 eruption
            of the volcano showed there is no evidence of long-term health effects
            from this kind of exposure to volcanic ash and dust.

            Exposure to volcanic ash is primarily linked to eye and breathing
            irritation.

            xponent
            Where Is the Kaboom? Maru

          • Travis Edmunds
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4 6:48 AM
              >From: Russell Chapman <rchapman@...>
              >To: Killer Bs Discussion <brin-l@...>
              >Subject: Re: Mt. St. Helens On Eruption Watch
              >Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:11:11 +1000
              >
              >Travis Edmunds wrote:
              >>http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20040927/helens.html
              >>
              >>Sept. 30, 2004 � U.S. geologists warned Wednesday that a surge in seismic
              >>activity at Mount St. Helens in the state of Washington could spark a
              >>volcano eruption.
              >
              >Gosh - I hope not - it is one of the centrepieces of my Christmas holiday
              >plans, along with Rainier and some other spots in the Cascades.

              Chartering a plane to go hunting for flying saucers?

              -Travis "Kenneth Arnold, 1947" Edmunds