Heaven's Reach

  • ALBERTO VIEIRA FERREIRA MONTEIRO
    Message 1 of 7 , May 16, 2013
      but it seems that some of the gear is not working properly. Since we
      know each other from the Tolkien mailing list, and I have no idea what
      is happening, I will try to forward the message to the Brin-L list.

      (...) is part of the message that I edited out.

      Alberto Monteiro

      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2013

        1. When Gillian traded things with Uriel, did she take any rewqs?
        They'd be very valuable both for Earthclan and for that Hoon colony
        Alvin and Huck moved to.

        Not mentioned. Could go either way if our good Dr. has anything planned.
        And you forgot to mention Mudfoot.

        (Then again, Contacting Aliens forgot to mention the Rousit.)

        2. Did we ever find out why Gillian wanted a herd of Glavers?
         I doubt they're legally available for uplift yet, but Contacting
        Aliens does say they haven't been spotted (in the other Galaxies)
        in 2000 years. Did she figure they might be the last of their
        kind, and want to prevent the Jophur from killing them all?

        IIRC, Glavers still had a knack for talking to hydrogen breathers.

        3. When Streaker and Polkjhy exchanged people and chunks of hull,
        did Lark and Ling give any of the red rings to Gillian? Those rings
        are a potent biological defense against Jophur invasions, so it'd be
        nice for Earthclan to have some. (It would hypothetically also have
        made it possible for Dwer to take a few back to Jijo, but I doubt
        David Brin would make things so narratively "easy" for Jijo.)

        This I know: The red rings are not being used for the retaking of
        the Jijo Library.

        And the Jijo Library is not the biggest souce of books on Jijo.
        That's the Rothen ship--at least until the 4th dimention closes down.

        4. Lark saw an Urs on Polkjhy, stuck in an air bubble.
        Why would any Urs accept such a watery/confined fate?
        She'll be stuck in that little bubble for the rest of her life.
        Why didn't she go onto the Streaker while all those Dolphins were
        going onto Polkjhy?

        Unknown.

        Urs is not to reason why.

        Vilyehm
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
          I never knew the good doctor founded google until I read it in Yahoo news as
          part of a scandel.

          Alleged Affair of Google Co-Founder Brin Raises Ethical Issues

        • Matt Grimaldi
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
            Maybe, but he would have had to change his name from David to Sergei.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
              >>I never knew the good doctor founded google until I read it in Yahoo news
              as
              >>part of a scandel.

              >Maybe, but he would have had to change his name from David to Sergei.

              Didn't you know, David translated into Russian is Sergei, I knew a Sergei
              from Russia. He used Sergei when founding Google to have a cosmopolitan
              flair. :-)

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
                It's Sergey, actually.

                Nick
                (from the Googleplex-almost)

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
                  On Aug 29, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Matt Grimaldi wrote:

                  Maybe, but he would have had to change his name from David to Sergei.

                  I know we're all very impressed with Dr. Brin, but this whole incident highlights *two* failures in his life.

                  One, of course, is the seedy business of the alleged affair.

                  The second, lesser-known, is his failed attempt to go into hiding by changing his name from "Sergey"
                  to "David". This paper-thin subterfuge has served him poorly, and we all may mock him. Briefly.

                  David (No, not Sergey) Land