Re: Clean high tech solutions

  • John Garcia
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
      On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Jon Louis Mann <net_democracy@...> wrote:

      > I'm reading John Varley's Slow Apocalypse. The premise is
      > that all un-processed petroleum is destroyed by an act of
      > bio-terrorism. In the middle of it right now, but so far
      > it's scaring the spit out of me.
      > john

      why?

      I know intellectually that we live in a fragile civilization, but I suppose that I haven't felt it emotionally. But seeing Sandy's effects on my city (I live in Washington Heights, a neighborhood in Manhattan that thankfully was spared the devastation in other neighborhoods of the city), makes me begin to *feel* just how fragile things are. ConEd loses a substation and suddenly 200k people don't have power. No power and there is no way to pump water to floors in buildings. First responders are overwhelmed. A neighborhood is destroyed by fire because there is no water pressure in the hydrants to fight the fire.

      So I suppose I'm in the *right* frame of mind to read Varley's book. Next up is Barnes' Directive 51.

      john

      <snippage>

    • Klaus Stock
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
        >> >How were the European Greens responsible for keeping
        >> Uganda poor, by
        >> turning them away from nuclear?

        >> Two ways:
        >> 1) They have extremely strict and unreasonable standards for
        >> imported food.
        >> For example, its virtually impossible for US food products
        >> to be sold there.

        Unreasonable standards? I do not know about Uganda, but I know other
        markets where such apparently overly strict standards are exist.
        Officially, it's claimed to prevent harm to the people by disallowing
        low quality imports. In reality, these standards are meant to prevent
        imports, simply to prevent money from leaving the country.

        Unless, of course, the money is used to import Ferraris or Lamborginis
        for the ruling class. Or weapons. The military also want their toys,
        and in some countries the ruler depends on the support of the military
        (like, North Korea).

        Feck. I realize that I do know too much about politics.

        - Klaus