Re: Politicians

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
      On 23/11/2012, at 7:33 AM, John Horn <anarien@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Jon Louis Mann <net_democracy@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> It is in my observation, as a politician, that MOST politicians are liars, and they tailor their promises
      >> for a target audience who will believe their rhetoric. I am not a liar, but that is probably why I have lost
      >> the 12 times I have run for office!~)
      >
      > So you are not a lying politician, you are just a very bad one... ;-)

      It's hard to compete if one has a shred of ethics. This last US Presidential election astounded me as the Republican bubble was almost impenetrable, and the constant repeating of lies by the Romney/Ryan campaign far exceeded even my most cynical expectations. Fox as the results came in was just astonishing, they really believed the pundits that predicted a large win by Romney.

      > The ones that get me are not so much the politicians but the pundits.
      > Someone like Glenn Beck. I mean, look at the conspiracy theories he is
      > pedaling. In my humble opinion, there are only two options: either a)
      > he really does believe what he's saying, in which case, he is
      > certifiably insane or b) he doesn't really believe what he's saying,
      > in which case, he is evil with a capital "E".

      Him and many of his ilk. When politicians lie, the media should be calling them. When the media is just as bad and in Fox's case is a mouthpiece for the political movement that promotes increasing inequality and denies basic science, the system is broken.

      Charlie.
    • Kevin O'Brien
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
        On 11/22/2012 4:32 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:
        > It's hard to compete if one has a shred of ethics. This last US Presidential election astounded me as the Republican bubble was almost impenetrable, and the constant repeating of lies by the Romney/Ryan campaign far exceeded even my most cynical expectations. Fox as the results came in was just astonishing, they really believed the pundits that predicted a large win by Romney.
        It actually makes sense. I first noticed this when a Bush admin official
        talked about how they just make their own reality. And I think it has
        continued with Fox an the Republicans rejecting anything science- or
        data-derived in favor of whatever they want to believe. But at some
        point reality has a way of intruding itself into your fantasies.

        Regards,

        --
        Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
        zwilnik@... Linux User #333216