Degeneration? Re: Where to now?

  • Klaus Stock
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 21, 2012
      Okay, back to my discussion with myself ;-)

      > This, of course, a tendency only. But it's sufficient and it surely
      > kills innovation. I wonder how much further this tendency will go.

      I always found it hard to swallow when SciFi authors wrote about "old
      degenerate races". Not only Dr. Brin; it also appeared in the Perry
      Rhodan pulp. I always wondered why there was no single brilliant,
      energetic, innovative member of this "degenerate species" who would
      turn the tide.

      Yup, that's naive. Probably read too many stories and/or watched too
      many movies where the hero would save the world/universe/everything,
      either singlehandely or with (or despite) the help of his/her idiotic
      sidekick.

      But now I wonder if we haven't already reached the goal of becoming a
      "degenerate race". Progress mainly happens in marketing, not in
      research and development. And while we have a lot of "hero material"
      in our population, none of them is apparently able to make a
      difference.

      - Klaus

    • John Williams
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 24, 2012
        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Kevin O'Brien <zwilnik@...> wrote:
        > I also note in passing that a study done a few years ago
        > about charitable giving found that economists were the stingiest group in
        > the study, which I found not at all surprising.

        Would you be referring to the study published by Bauman and Rose in 2011?

        http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167268111000746