Re: Where to now?

  • Bruce Bostwick
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 20, 2012
      On Nov 19, 2012, at 1:58 PM, Klaus Stock wrote:

      >>> We need a black swan.
      >>>
      >> Maybe we already have it. The wiki model is working for editing
      >> wikipedias (not only _the_ Wikipedia, but many other clones, parodies,
      >> porn sites or just silly stuff), It began with IMDB and if they hadn't
      >> been such stupid jerks IMDB would have turned itself into what
      >> Wikipedia became.
      >
      >> Why can't we apply the wiki idea to _engineering_?
      >
      > Patents.

      Perhaps the patent equivalen of GPL?

      Because the answer to "why can't we apply the wiki idea to publishing information?" was "copyrights and licenses" until GPL became a viable solution ..

    • John Williams
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 24, 2012
        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Kevin O'Brien <zwilnik@...> wrote:
        > I also note in passing that a study done a few years ago
        > about charitable giving found that economists were the stingiest group in
        > the study, which I found not at all surprising.

        Would you be referring to the study published by Bauman and Rose in 2011?

        http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167268111000746