Re: Where to now?

  • Klaus Stock
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 19, 2012
      >>I vaguely remember that I the past it took about 50 years from an
      > innovation to appear until it
      >>became mainstream.

      > Huh? It took geosteering 3 years to drop the price of oil by a factor of 3.
      <snip>

      My rant about the "50 years" wasn't really meant seriously. Just the
      preparation to the conclusion at the end:

      > Or maybe it's just that someone figured out that it's easier to
      > develop sub-par products and sell them to people with below-average
      > intelligence than to develop something for an audience which knows
      > what it wants.
      >
      > Quite a bit different from the visions of many SciFi authors, which
      > envisioned that mankind would evolve towards higher intelligence.
      > Instead, we've an industry which makes being dumb more favourable..."

      Or, in other words, we don't have inspired leaders in the industry any
      more. A manager has to maximize profits, especially the profits which
      are measured in hard dollars. There are two ways to achieve this:

      (a) be innovative, open new markets, invent
      (b) cut costs

      Approach (a) is risky. It also requires a bit of brain. So everyone
      chooses the safe way, (b).

      This, of course, a tendency only. But it's sufficient and it surely
      kills innovation. I wonder how much further this tendency will go.

      - Klaus

    • John Williams
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 24, 2012
        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Kevin O'Brien <zwilnik@...> wrote:
        > I also note in passing that a study done a few years ago
        > about charitable giving found that economists were the stingiest group in
        > the study, which I found not at all surprising.

        Would you be referring to the study published by Bauman and Rose in 2011?

        http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167268111000746