RE: Where to now?

    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 19, 2012
      >This is largely the result of a shift to capital gains income, rather than
      productivity-based income
      >among the top few percent, who have gobbled up the growing gap between
      productivity and income.

      There are two problems that face workers. First, productivity has outpaced
      demand. Second, the world has gotten flat. So, while steel and auto
      workers could demand high wages in the 60s, and the first half of the 70s
      because they were in demand, the demand for workers is down now, except in
      marginal service jobs.

      Gautam's book may prove unpopular with CEOs because it shows that a filtered
      leader is not that unique, there are many other candidates who would make
      the same decision. This would indicate that there is no business basis to
      pay, for example, Apple's new CEO a 600 million bonus, other contenders for
      his job would have done just as well. Steve Jobs is different, he's an
      unfiltered leader. But, he started Apple, and if he failed, then a small
      company would have failed...as probably many small computer companies failed
      in the '70s, and many Internet companies failed in the late '90s and early
      '00s.

      The good news is that we can, if we have the political will, change the
      money going to the parisites in the financial sector (and there are a lot of
      folks in business and business schools who are not in finance who see them
      as parasites). And, we could cut leadership team income with minimal effect
      on companies. But, we cannot create many jobs where there is a reason to
      pay someone a good income. That is a challanging problem. It might best be
      faced by spreading ownership of corporations, but doing that without the law
      of unitended consequences bighting us is going to be difficult.

    • John Williams
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 24, 2012
        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Kevin O'Brien <zwilnik@...> wrote:
        > I also note in passing that a study done a few years ago
        > about charitable giving found that economists were the stingiest group in
        > the study, which I found not at all surprising.

        Would you be referring to the study published by Bauman and Rose in 2011?

        http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167268111000746