Re: Brin: Debunking the Myth of Intuition

    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2012
      I might be wrong, but…

      This discussion reminded me of Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink", which argues for paying more attention to what this piece refers to as "System 1". That rapid-response part of our brain may have more value to us than our rational minds want to give credit.

      Also, it put me in mind of an excellent episode of Radiolab (http://www.radiolab.org/2008/nov/17/) that dealt with the seeming independence of emotional "thought" from rational.

      Dave

      On May 29, 2012, at 11:20 AM, David Brin wrote:

      The one area where Sigmund Freud offered breakthrough insights of profound and permanent value was by demonstrating conclusively that the unconscious mind exists, that it has agendas that often differ from our surface rationalizations, values and proclaimed beliefs, and that it can affect our decisions and biases before we even begin consciously weighing them.  Alas, like so many other brilliant men, Freud went on to make unjustified leaps of elaboration that - ironically - erupted out of his own tortured unconscious.  Still, science is continuing the verify the origical insight.  This rumination discusses how difficult it is to be sure we are being truly rational. Take it as a caution. And repeat the sacred statement of science. “I might be wrong.”

      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2012
        System 1 made me read these emails.
      • David Brin
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2012

          BTW... I hope you all have seen the truly stunning preview-trailer for EXISTENCE!

          With amazing art by Patrick Farley.    http://tinyurl.com/exist-trailer

          Sorry if this is a repeat.  Also, we're sending out my yearly newsletter in a few weeks.  Or get info at my totally revised web site http://www.davidbrin.com
          If it goes viral, Brin-L may become famous (as one of the earliest surviving author sites... ;-)

          Thrive all