Existence

  • William Goodall
    Message 1 of 8 , May 13, 2012
      The new Brin novel Existence comes out in June. A topic!

      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2012
        On 14/05/2012, at 12:26 AM, William Goodall wrote:

        > The new Brin novel Existence comes out in June. A topic!

        So, will they add a stupid apostrophe in the non-US versions?

        Ex'stence, maybe…

        Suppose I should get my amazon order sorted out!

        Charlie

      • Damon Agretto
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2012
          Already have my copy on pre-order on Amazon!

          Damon.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2012
            As long as they don't say Existence is futile.

            In a message dated 5/13/2012 10:26:16 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, charlie@... writes:

            On 14/05/2012, at 12:26 AM, William Goodall wrote:

            > The new Brin novel Existence comes out in June. A topic!

            So, will they add a stupid apostrophe in the non-US versions?

            Ex'stence, maybe…

            Suppose I should get my amazon order sorted out!

            Charlie

          • Pat Mathews
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2012
              Just so long as they don't say Existence is Feudal - Brin would have a fit!

              Resistance, now ...

              From: Medievalbk@...
              Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 21:00:47 -0400
              Subject: Re: Existence
              To: brin-l@...

              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2012
                George Lucas, after being fought tooth and nail by his neighbors on his plan
                to bring a movie studio to his property has given up the attempt and is now
                planning on having affordable housing built on the property instead. He
                fought big high priced sub-divisions being built there, to no avail
                If the neighbors are honest about wanting it to stay residential, then they
                should welcome affordable housing: that's residential. But, I'm betting a
                beer that they won't welcome lower income neighbors. I'll put a beer on the
                proposition that his neighbors who were happy with expensive homes being
                built in a nice area will be fighting the affordable housing. I'm hope I'm
                wrong, and I'm guessing that most of Brin-L will agree that he did something
                right here.

                Dan M.

                http://m.movies.com/movie-news/george-lucas-grady-ranch/7883

                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2012
                  On May 15, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

                  > http://m.movies.com/movie-news/george-lucas-grady-ranch/7883

                  When I saw that story yesterday, I was impressed with Lucas and told
                  some other folks about it. Then I thought about it a little more and
                  wondered why I was cheering revenge-seeking. It left me conflicted.

                  I still am. If he's just using the future residents of the planned
                  housing project as pawns to attack his snotty neighbors, then he is no
                  better than they are. If his intent is to make Lucas Valley a better,
                  more equitable place and to provide for the needs of under- served
                  residents, then more power to him.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2012
                    On May 15, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

                    > http://m.movies.com/movie-news/george-lucas-grady-ranch/7883

                    >When I saw that story yesterday, I was impressed with Lucas and told
                    >some other folks about it. Then I thought about it a little more and
                    >wondered why I was cheering revenge-seeking. It left me conflicted.

                    >I still am. If he's just using the future residents of the planned
                    >housing project as pawns to attack his snotty neighbors, then he is no
                    >better than they are. If his intent is to make Lucas Valley a better,
                    >more equitable place and to provide for the needs of under- served
                    >residents, then more power to him.

                    I sorta put it in between that. Let's say he thought his studio was a
                    reasonable addition to the land and that his neighbors were probably really
                    being snooty, and just wanted other rich people there.

                    So, he would test that attitude with affordable, lower income housing. If
                    the opposition was honestly a matter of keeping the neighborhood
                    residential, then most folks would go along, and he'd have an easy
                    out....well I thought it should be able to have the studio, but I'm glad we
                    agreed on affordable housing. He saves face, the neighbors look good, and
                    there is more affordable housing...a win-win-win.

                    If they fight that tooth and nail, then he will have exposed an example of
                    one of the prime causes for the cost of housing in California. Those with
                    money and influence are using laws to keep out affordable housing, while
                    approving expensive housing. He will be doing a public service by showing
                    the hypocrisy. This isn't the best outcome, but it is a plus outcome.

                    So, either way, he would be doing a public service. Perhaps he has selfish
                    ends in doing so; perhaps altruistic, most likely somewhere in between.
                    But, I think if the neighbors go along, the public good is served by
                    affordable housing. If they fight it tooth and nail, then a misuse of laws
                    to prevent affordable housing has been exposed to the national media.
                    Either way, it's a plus for improving the affordability of housing in
                    California.