Skip to search.

A path to really cheap energy

  • Keith Henson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2012
      You might be amused by this:

      I have identified a positive economic feedback loop between beamed
      energy propulsion and power satellites.

      Given an understanding of the physics of lasers for beamed energy and
      hydrogen for reaction mass, there is a very strong feedback loop between
      the existence of power satellites and low cost transportation to build
      them.

      The physics and feedback indicates that future energy costs will be
      very low. This seems to be inevitable if you build power satellites
      at all and take the beamed energy route to power lifting the parts.
      The energy cost looks to be so low that solar energy from space will
      displace fossil fuels by simply underpricing them. (Half or less.)
      Very low cost space transport is a side benefit.

      Further, with only a ten percent feedback, that is dedicating ten
      percent of new power sats to propulsion, the construction rate triples
      every year, offering the possibility of ending the fossil fuel era in
      a decade.

      The minimum investment to reach the self sustaining scale is not
      precisely known, but seems likely to exceed $10 B and to be less than
      $100 B. A lot of money but not considering the profit to be made
      solving a really big problem.

      I can go deeply into the technical and math details if you want to see them.