Electronic interface options

  • Jon Louis Mann
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 18 5:11 PM
      I signed up for Facebook some time ago after receiving the invite from David for the sort of reasons you mention below. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the other options to network electronically. I looked into Twitter, Google+ and a bunch of other links but got FB seems to be winning the with all the various games, etc. It is mostly superficial and geared toward revenue for that guy who figured out how to become an instant billionaire, but so what? I take the best and disregard the rest and just participate in the very interesting and
      stimulating discussion, especially on David's page.
      I was put off by a couple trolls who used hit an run tactics, but since they blocked me I no longer see their posts.

      At first I didn't know how to do social media, but am learning how to ignore and block the invites to play Farmville, and sales pitches, etc. Different strokes for different folks and FB is certainly a diverse community. If I get a poke, it's from a friend, and I poke back; I never initiate a poke!~) I even friended Nick on FB (and other networks). He is everywhere and even was friends with Mark Zuckerberg.

      I thoroughly enjoy the conversation in forums, list servers, etc. I don't know if here is a way to revive Brin-L with links to social media. we seem to have lost David to that interface somewhat, but he is a futurist and predicted all this! Brin-L was in the vanguard of all this, but the WWW, Broadband, You Tube, E-Bay, etc. are the wave of the future; for or better or worse...

      The world has changed radically and revolutions are in motion around the word; who knows what will be next, but I listen to David and other authors to keep up...

      Yes "we are still a kind of social network, with a history and connections dating back to a previous online era? A brilliant source for information should we need it? It'll be interesting to see how all the social networking develops in the next few years?"
      Jon Mann

    • Pat Mathews
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 18 6:00 PM
        My problem is that I have quite a bit of trouble recognizing people in a different context. So if "Kat" wants to poke me, is this catmountain in Tijeras? Kat Roberts from the SCA? Or Kit Kat from the Porn Page?

        http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 18 7:10 PM
          At 08:00 PM Sunday 9/18/2011, Pat Mathews wrote:
          >My problem is that I have quite a bit of trouble recognizing people
          >in a different context. So if "Kat" wants to poke me, is this
          >catmountain in Tijeras? Kat Roberts from the SCA? Or Kit Kat from
          >the Porn Page?

          The on-line version of the problem faced in the sci-fi community in
          Utah in the eighties*: we had at least seven folks named "Dave"
          (including Wolverton/Farland), and in any given formal or informal
          gathering there were usually at least two or three if not more, so
          things could get confusing when anyone called out for "Dave" . . .

          _____
          *Several of them afaik are still in the area, though I know some have
          moved elsewhere.

          . . . ronn! :)

        • Jon Louis Mann
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 19 7:13 PM
            The best thing about FB is I don't have to remember whether to top or bottom post!~) I don't have that many friend who use the same name, AND are crass enough to "poke" me!~) In any case, FB sends me to the right profile... I've never been lucky enough to be poked by Kit Kat; MZ doesn't even allow breastfeeding pics on FB!~{

            I still get the failed messages, but now I know it's a glitch. Nick will fix it when he can; the guy is a REAL networker!

            I miss David in our small community, but we have to share. I continue to have a blast on his FB Wall!
            Jon

            > At 08:00 PM Sunday 9/18/2011, Pat Mathews wrote:
            > >My problem is that I have quite a bit of trouble
            > recognizing people
            > >in a different context. So if "Kat" wants to poke me,
            > is this
            > >catmountain in Tijeras? Kat Roberts from the SCA? Or
            > Kit Kat from
            > >the Porn Page?

            > The on-line version of the problem faced in the sci-fi
            > community in
            > Utah in the eighties*:  we had at least seven folks
            > named "Dave"
            > (including Wolverton/Farland), and in any given formal or
            > informal
            > gathering there were usually at least two or three if not
            > more, so
            > things could get confusing when anyone called out for
            > "Dave" . . .

            > *Several of them AFAIK are still in the area, though I know
            > some have
            > moved elsewhere.

            > . . . ronn!  :)

          • Pat Mathews
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 19 7:33 PM
              Kit Kat is not a friend. It's a pseudonym for the unknown women who claim to want to friend me - why, oh, why, isn't there an option to check out the people poking you?

              http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

              > Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:13:52 -0700
              > From: net_democracy@...
              > Subject: Electronic interface options
              > To: brin-l@...
              >
              > The best thing about FB is I don't have to remember whether to top or bottom post!~) I don't have that many friend who use the same name, AND are crass enough to "poke" me!~) In any case, FB sends me to the right profile... I've never been lucky enough to be poked by Kit Kat; MZ doesn't even allow breastfeeding pics on FB!~{
              >
              > I still get the failed messages, but now I know it's a glitch. Nick will fix it when he can; the guy is a REAL networker!
              >
              > I miss David in our small community, but we have to share. I continue to have a blast on his FB Wall!
              > Jon
              >

              > > At 08:00 PM Sunday 9/18/2011, Pat Mathews wrote:
              > > >My problem is that I have quite a bit of trouble
              > > recognizing people
              > > >in a different context. So if "Kat" wants to poke me,
              > > is this
              > > >catmountain in Tijeras? Kat Roberts from the SCA? Or
              > > Kit Kat from
              > > >the Porn Page?
              >
              > > The on-line version of the problem faced in the sci-fi
              > > community in
              > > Utah in the eighties*:  we had at least seven folks
              > > named "Dave"
              > > (including Wolverton/Farland), and in any given formal or
              > > informal
              > > gathering there were usually at least two or three if not
              > > more, so
              > > things could get confusing when anyone called out for
              > > "Dave" . . .
              >
              > > *Several of them AFAIK are still in the area, though I know
              > > some have
              > > moved elsewhere.
              >
              > > . . . ronn!  :)

            • Damon Agretto
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 19 7:37 PM
                Personally I started using FB as I find it superior to twitter for the "microblogging" activity, as I often felt I needed more than 160 characters to talk about what I wanted to talk about. It's a great way to stir up conversations, or even to track what I'm doing with my various project. Also David participates there, and actually occasionally talks about science and fiction (and sometimes even science fiction!). That can't be a bad thing...

                Damon.

              • Wayne Eddy
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 19 7:55 PM
                  I agree with Jon's comments about top and bottom posting.

                  Gmail does a great job of grouping e-mails, so quoted text is just an annoyance as far as I am concerned.  Isn't a stand-alone e-mail like this one easier to read than one with a lot of quoted text?

                  Regards,

                  Wayne.
                • David Hobby
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 19 8:08 PM
                    Wayne--

                    Hi.  I'm top-posting both to make my point and because that's
                    what this webmail client wants to do.  (My own computer has
                    video card issues at the moment.)

                    If one wants to reply to several different points in a previous
                    post, it makes sense to do this in one email.  But how does
                    one indicate which replies go with which points?  By separating
                    the points, and putting replies below them, of course.

                    ---David

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 19 9:58 PM
                      Personally, I like this format over FB, and maybe over G+ too. The
                      fan sites have much less a sense of community than this list has (or
                      had). I use Gmail and it automatically hides quoted text so that's
                      not a big issue (it also has the best spam filter by far that I've
                      come across).

                      FB is good for friends and family and I've resisted the temptation to
                      compile as many friends as I can, even trimming the list a bit now and
                      then. I turn all the game stuff off and I don't respond to pokes and
                      all that as I don't really see the point.

                      I think G+ is superior to FB but most of my FB friends haven't
                      transitioned there so I'm stuck with having to follow both. I have a
                      Brin-l circle on G+ but I only have something like 9 people in it.
                      I'd be interested to know how many of you all are on G+ and in trying
                      that out as a possible successor to the mailing list, but, you know, I
                      really miss the good old days....

                    • Warren Ockrassa
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 20 2:09 PM
                        Funny. Having seen this, I just searched you on g+ and added you to my Brin circle!

                        I wonder if there's a way to streamline or transparentize the process.

                        • Warren • off console • w azkrmc.com • h nightwares.com •

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 20 2:43 PM

                          Hmmm, don't know if there's an easier way, but I just read that G+ is open to the public now; no invite necessary.

                          http://plus.google.com if you're interested.

                          Doug
                          I'm guessing this is a top post.  Sorry.